posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:15 AM
Depends on your point of view. With unlimited funds, I would have as many as I wanted! But we don't so you need to determine what's necessary and
After you have a home defense weapon (9mm is probably sufficient, or some sort of shotgun depending on your skill level) you probably should invest in
other stuff than guns since the chance of you needing anything more in your arsenal is unlikely. Concentrate on training to use that single weapon
system, quickly effectively, and most important accuractely and appropriately. Having too many guns could be counter productive and also may be a sign
you are getting obsessive.
Honeslty, ideally, if I wanted the best collection for the supposed SHTF scenario I would have the following arsenal:
- 3 pistols (one for me, and one for my spouse, one auxillary)
- 2 shotguns (one for close quarters, and one better for breaching operations. Maybe even have bird shot rounds to deal with unarmed intruders)
- 2 hunting rifles (one more along the lines of will work with out fail no matter the heck what, and another more accurate more deadly variety)
- 2 assault rifles (I would stick with AR-15s since I am very familiar with the weapon system. These stay LOCKED up, they are only for the SHTF
scenario you all speak of. (and maybe a practice shoot and occasional functions checks)
- 1 machine gun (Yeah, I would, heck yeah, if I could get it legally, I would grab my self an M240B for when you absolutely have to eliminate scores
of people. Honestly, the AR-15 is better suited for most situations, even where you are outnumbered. Aimed shots are proven to be superior to sprayed
gun fire. This would just be fun, honestly)
- Materials and equipment to produce ammunition. If stuff was that bad, you will need to reuse round casing and such, and maybe cast your own rounds,
so instead of stocking up on ridiculous (and suspicious amounts of ammo), just have the supplies to make it...in that case I might suggest the AK-47
for the assault rife since it can tolerate crappy ammo much better than the M16.
Again, let me stress that you are better of getting a single weapon and learning to use it effectively than buying a ton of them. Like I gurantee you,
I would be 1000x more lethal with a couple 30 round mags and a M16, than a room filled with random armaments. Suggest you invest extra money
wisely--not wasting it on weapons you will never need.