It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese probe crashes into moon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Chinese probe crashes into moon

news.bbc.co.uk

A Chinese lunar probe has crashed into the moon in what Beijing has called a controlled collision.

The Chang'e 1 lunar satellite hit the moon's surface at 1613 local time (0813 GMT) at the end of a 16-month moon-mapping mission.

China launched the spacecraft in late October 2007 on a mission to survey the entire surface of the moon.

China's ever-more ambitious space programme includes plans for a space station and landing a man on the moon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I wonder if China will share pictures of the moon with the rest of the world... I doubt it very much, they will try to keep secrets the same way Americans and Russians do.
Goverments have the tendency of keeping a lot of things secret, to keep us in the dark and in ignorance.
To call the crash "a controlled collision" sound very suspicious to me but in any case, interesting read..

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Why would they want to crash it?? Surely it would cost more money to crash it in a controlled way other than just leaving it afloat in space???

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Way to go China.
Piss off the aliens hiding in the moon by rattling their doors.

Just kidding. I hope we get some pics soon, but as said before, likely not.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

I bet John Lear would love to get his hands on those pictures. The research this guy did is amazing.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by teklordz

Amazing man indeed. I would hope that someday the walls would be transparent enough for full disclosure. Then again, do we really want to know? YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!
By the way, the controlled crash might have indeed been controlled, as in by the shooting down of it by dark side aliens.

I know at least a few pics will get leaked, but nothing juicy.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
yes, i was thinking the same thing, maybe the people from the moon shot it down, it's a good possibility..

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Here's a link to what looks to be their next big mission.
news.bbc.co.uk...

... looks very familiar. lol.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I just told NASA to start doing this a couple of weeks ago, there must be a Chinese Agent working at NASA?
They stole my information, or else U.S. is working with China.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Very nice find my friend. Star to you! We are living a second space race?
Acutally, i firmly believe americans black projects have gone out of our solar system... so it's not really a race to the stars anymore, but still, very interesting find.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Did the moon "ring like a hollow bell" like it did when the rocket booster fell on it in the 60's?

How come NASA abandoned the moon but it didn't put anybody else off -- they didn't share why, apparently.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by RedCairo]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedCairo
Did the moon "ring like a hollow bell" like it did when the rocket booster fell on it in the 60's?

They say Earth and Moon both have Iron cores, but core would have to be hollow, blanced gravity at core.

Question how much would you weigh at center of earth?

Anyhow Moon would have to be hollow to ring like bell?

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex

Originally posted by RedCairo

They say Earth and Moon both have Iron cores, but core would have to be hollow, blanced gravity at core.

Question how much would you weigh at center of earth?

Anyhow Moon would have to be hollow to ring like bell?

Reality check. Sound cannot be created in a vacuum. Thus an object hitting the moon would not produce any sound at all. Given the moon has an atmospheric mass of 104kg or something its ignorable.

I can imagine a controlled crash could be used to prevent others from trying to get any info from the probe. I could also imagine most spy satellites have a self destruct mechanism.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Reality Check Da statement ring like a Bell would not mean they heard it, would mean it caused some sort of vibratory response, that was some how detected.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I remember that the Indian mission to moon (chandrayan) had a lunar impact probe that they crash landed on the moon. Maybe China was following suit by crashing the entire satellite on moon.

Chandrayan has sent some beautiful pictures of the moon. Also there is a NASA instrument aboard Chandrayan

Here is a link to the pictures

Pictures

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

Nice of you to bring new light to this thread. I wonder if those probes taking photos have a short life span? i will have to research this big time..

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny
I remember that the Indian mission to moon (chandrayan) had a lunar impact probe that they crash landed on the moon. Maybe China was following suit by crashing the entire satellite on moon

Pictures

Was the India crash also a planed crash, or was it just how mission ended.

Yes seems like low tech mission, take some pictures and crash.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by googolplex]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by teklordz

I wonder if China will share pictures of the moon with the rest of the world... I doubt it very much, they will try to keep secrets the same way Americans and Russians do.
Goverments have the tendency of keeping a lot of things secret, to keep us in the dark and in ignorance.
To call the crash "a controlled collision" sound very suspicious to me but in any case, interesting read..

news.bbc.co.uk

What do you mean China will share pictures ?? There is already an extensive map of the moon that is available. Not to mention the fact that the Indians and the Japanese have also their own mapping satellites in lunar orbit. Recently I read that the Indians and NASA had mapped a dark crater. The pictures are available online in high resolution.

Also, controlled collision is nothing suspicious at all. They may have had an impactor like the Indian's recently had or their probe might have reached the end of its life cycle and they decided to destroy it. There are many logical reasons that can explain why they did it. There is nothing suspicious about it at all.

Its utterly ridiculous to continue to think there is somthing nefarious going on on the lunar surface, especially with so many different countries working independently in studying the moon.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

The Indian moon impact probe was a separate instrument on Chandrayan, that was crashed on the moon in a planned manner, the rest of the satellite (Chandrayan) is still orbiting the moon

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny
I remember that the Indian mission to moon (chandrayan) had a lunar impact probe that they crash landed on the moon. Maybe China was following suit by crashing the entire satellite on moon

Pictures

Yes seems like low tech mission, take some pictures and crash.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by googolplex]

Pfft!!
The Indian probe is still in Lunar orbit. The probe had an impactor which was the one that crashed!! They crashed it into the surface for scientific reasons and also to plant their flag on the moon, so to speak.

The mission hasnt ended, it has barely begun! It is a mapping mission.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join