It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Chief Climate Scientist Stirs Controversy With Call for Civil Disobedience

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
This link has a rundown on the data that Hansen and others manipulated.

there is a lot of it and takes a while to find it all.

www.climateaudit.org...
type in James Hansen on the search function on the climate audit site and mark CA( Search www.climateaudit.org )

www.google.com... forid=1&channel=7265431255&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&safe=active&cof=GALT%3A%23008000%3BGL%3A1%3BDIV%3A%23336699%3BVLC%3A663399%3BAH%3Acenter%3BBGC% 3AFFFFFF%3BLBGC%3A336699%3BALC%3A0000FF%3BLC%3A0000FF%3BT%3A000000%3BGFNT%3A0000FF%3BGIMP%3A0000FF%3BFORID%3A1&hl=en

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Here is an article about Hansen, it is not the original article I had read, but this one will do. Also, go to the web site referenced in the article.

I am not a scientist, but when you see all of the different things that different scientists say could be causing climate change, including,
the sun, sunspot activity, or solar flares,
the magnetic field weakening,
the fact that other planets in our solar system seem to be warming, the artic ice cores show cyclical changes in the co2 levels,
our solar system is moving into a more energetic area of the galaxy
the wobble of earth's axis,
and changes in the earths orbit,
or maybe a combination of all or some of the above,

The only reason I can see for rushing the "green revolution" is because it's going to take a lot of money out of some people's pockets, to put into other people's pockets.

Our president and others in his administration have indicated it would be fine if the price of energy had to go up drastically, after all, that will really do the most to make people conserve. Or, maybe just the people that are already struggling to afford gas and heating energy costs. It won't affect the well to do as much.

Look at Al Gore, he's the perfect example of "do as I say, not as I do" when it comes to energy usage.

Hansen article

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sezsue

The only reason I can see for rushing the "green revolution" is because it's going to take a lot of money out of some people's pockets, to put into other people's pockets.

Or... We could do away with money. I offer a way in my book...

Our president and others in his administration have indicated it would be fine if the price of energy had to go up drastically, after all, that will really do the most to make people conserve. Or, maybe just the people that are already struggling to afford gas and heating energy costs. It won't affect the well to do as much.

What Our president doesn't tell us about is the energy from the plenum (the opposite of a vacuum) where energy seethes awaiting us.

Big Oil would have a fit if THAT got out. And they (black ops) have it. Make no mistake. We just can't can't have it because, with free energy, They can no longer control us.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Hansen!!!

Global Warming - NASA Scientist Dr. Hansen caught again
vocalminority.typepad.com...

Article Quotes - NASA Scientist caught lying again

Al Gore's Right-Hand Man James Hansen Caught Fixing Climate Data AGAIN

In addition, as the Telegraph article goes on to say, this is not the first time Hansen has been caught fixing the climate data! As Christopher Horner (author of the book The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming and Environmentalism) reported last September that the very same Anthony Watts caught NASA fixing the data by placing thermometers “… in Arizona parking lots, overhanging black asphalt pads, near cell towers and hot-air blowing air conditioner exhausts or next to trash burn barrels, … setting one just away from a chimney directly above a Weber barbecue grill …”

Regardless, as a result of all of the controversy a clearly not amused National Climatic Data Center suddenly pulled the actual locations of the temperature measuring stations from publicly available resources! Mr. Watts took them to task. As of this writing, the locations are again publicly available.

Why does James Hansen still have a job? Not once, but twice he has been caught fixing the data in order to further his own radical anti-capitalist agenda. He should at least have his doctoral degree revoked.

This is Gore's pet global warming gloom and doom prophet again being caught passing off bad data and when caught, they try to cover it up.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

If there is one scientist more responsible than any other for the alarm over global warming it is Dr Hansen, who set the whole scare in train back in 1988 with his testimony to a US Senate committee chaired by Al Gore. Again and again, Dr Hansen has been to the fore in making extreme claims over the dangers of climate change. (He was recently in the news here for supporting the Greenpeace activists acquitted of criminally damaging a coal-fired power station in Kent, on the grounds that the harm done to the planet by a new power station would far outweigh any damage they had done themselves.

This embarrassment came amid NASA also having to correct its data since the year 2000, which has been used to support many of the global warming alarmists’ “money claims”, such as Al Gore’s line that 9 of the 10 hottest years on record occurred in the past decade.

Both Al Gore and Hansen have large personal investments at stake... I am sure Hansen would love there to be an uprising to secure his profit and power base.

www.capitalresearch.org...

In addition, as the Telegraph article goes on to say, this is not the first time Hansen has been caught fixing the climate data! As Christopher Horner reported last September that the very same Anthony Watts caught NASA fixing the data by placing thermometers “… in Arizona parking lots, overhanging black asphalt pads, near cell towers and hot-air blowing air conditioner exhausts or next to trash burn barrels, … setting one just away from a chimney directly above a Weber barbecue grill …”

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Thanks for the heads-up. If AGW folks 'fessed up, they'd realize how they're being manipulated. Same as during the campaign.

They'll realize it when they can't afford to drive, use the heat/AC, or buy meat.

Then it's too late for all of us.

Who would've believed our gov't. would lie to us?

Anyone with a brain and free will, I suppose.

deny ignorance.

jw

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

No, and sadly many of the poeple who conduct "peer reviews" of climate studies are in the Gore and Hansen AGW camp, therefore stanching opposite viewpoints before they get published.

It's almost outright theft of our money and resources, and right under our collective noses.

jw

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Read the links, and read on in this thread from your post. The original story cites 2 books outlining his and others' deceptions and falsification of data.

The proof is all over, but you must READ. If you want to be spoonfed, listed to AGW advocates and Obama's team. If you want truth, you need to get it; it's all around ATS and outside publications.

Check out some of the other threads on AGW. Hansen has been rebuked and discredited since 1988 when he first broke with NASA and mainstream science.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by jdub297]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

COAL - Fired power is what he wants tomorrow's protest for.
But I think China burns more coal than any country on earth.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
While Hanson has people both FOR, and Against him, and the concept of global warming caused by humans certainly divides people, I would ask anyone this: If, for example, you happened to live down the street from a coal-fired power plant that constantly drafted you with a fine, super-heated gaseous exhaust filled with microscopic soot particles that you could taste, (and you were unable to re-locate) wouldn't you want it stopped?

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I can't see why he is either bothing to say anything, you can't stop it, part of natural cycle, the whole solar system is heating up.

If you don't believe me go out side and look at Venus, it's 3000% brighter than it was 40 years ago, even Pluto is heating up.

The poles are going to melt nothing anyone can do about it, call Mr. Freeze.

The Government is full of false things.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Wow, what is Alex "Inside Job" Jones going to this assault on his
anti Global Warming agenda?

I see a sit down protest at the outside of his office in the future.

Yeah, he broke the rules of the Illuminati rulers in charge who are
setting the Laws we need this very moment.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone who posted links. I also took a look on Wikipedia, because the Telegraph, and blogs arent always objective sources.

In the Wikipedia article, it does seem that there has been some controversy over some of the areas that the blogs, etc., mention.

en.wikipedia.org...

2001 saw a major update to how the temperature was calculated. It incorporated corrections due to the following reasons: time-of-observation bias, station history changes, classification of rural/urban stations, the urban adjustment based on satellite measurements of night light intensity, and relying more on rural station than urban. Evidence was found of local urban warming in urban, suburban and small-town records.[16]

and also;

In 2007, Stephen McIntyre notified GISS that many of the U.S. temperature records from the Historical Climatology Network (USHCN) displayed a discontinuity around the year 2000. NASA corrected the data and credited McIntyre with pointing out the flaw.[19] Hansen indicated that he felt that several news organizations had overreacted to this mistake.[20][21]

So, there is fire for that smoke. How much of it was deliberate and how much just the natural learning curve for a new science is hard to say objectively.

It does appear that McIntyres work was not disputed, and shunned, but incorporated into the data set within two days. This tends to seem like it was not a deliberate coverup, but a genuine mistake;

While studying individual station histories, McIntyre found an anomaly in the US surface temperature anomaly record kept by GISS.[6] GISS investigated, found an error and incorporated a correction in their data set within 2 days.[7] The error affects the US surface temperature anomaly record, which for years 2000-2006 reduces the temperature anomaly by about 0.15°C. It made an imperceptible difference to the global mean anomaly, but the rankings of the globally warmest years remained unchanged.

A few days later, McIntyre wrote:[8]

Closing the circle: my original interest in GISS adjustment procedures was not an abstract interest, but a specific interest in whether GISS adjustment procedures were equal to the challenge of “fixing” bad data. If one views the above assessment as a type of limited software audit (limited by lack of access to source code and operating manuals), one can say firmly that the GISS software had not only failed to pick up and correct fictitious steps of up to 1 deg C, but that GISS actually introduced this error in the course of their programming.

In the same article, McIntyre expressed his hope that the acknowledgment of this error would lead the GISS to allow researchers access to the source code and methodologies GISS uses to construct its U.S. and global temperature anomalies. Both methodologies and source code are now available on the GISS website.

And what McIntyre was hoping to get, access to the source code and methodologies are now freely available.

This whole thing does bring up some very good points though. It is a new science, and there is a lot of room for error. I think it is a bit soon to say many things with absolute certainty.

I do, just my own opinion, tend to be opposed to the idea that this is a government plot. (The global warming thing) Mostly because governments are not all that thrilled about it, nor are the corporations who tend to lobby government. Not to mention that, as the Wikipedia article states,

en.wikipedia.org...

Two years after Hansen and other agency employees described a pattern of distortion and suppression of climate science by political appointees, the agency’s inspector general found that the NASA Office of Public Affairs had mischaracterized the science of climate change intended for the public.[68]

So there is evidence that the deliberate tampering with evidence has been done by the public affairs branch of NASA, and it has been to tone down climate change, not to exaggerate it.

I dont know. I read a lot of science and science journals, and I spent a lot of my electives in science courses. Although I dont think we can make claims with 100% certainty, about what is the cause, and what is the effect, I think it is clear we are seeing something that could cause human beings some serious grief. I think the reason a lot of scientists want us to stop pumping CO2 in the air as quickly as we possibly can is not because we are certain it will help, but because when we dont know for certain, it may be wise not to make something worse than it has to be until we do have better data. If CO2 does turn out to be the cause of rising temperatures, we may not be able to undo what has already been done in time to save the species.

Thanks again to everyone who posted links. I like to have as much information as possible. It hasnt made up my mind, lol, but thats not because it wasnt good information. Its just because it is too early to call this game yet. We will all just have to see how it goes. I tend to be on the "lets not mess it up until we know more," side of things but I understand that there are those who hold exactly the opposite view. The "Why stop doing stuff until there is absolute proof?" camp.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
I do, just my own opinion, tend to be opposed to the idea that this is a government plot. (The global warming thing) Mostly because governments are not all that thrilled about it, nor are the corporations who tend to lobby government.

In fact, many countries are especially in favor of the AGW stance. They can sell "carbon credits" for profit, as the U.S, will do very shortly.

In fact, the "big three" automakers also favor "cap and trade," but their logic doesn't seem very good right now. Similarly, many U.S. power and oil companies support AGW policies because they will ebnefit from the higher prices the system will impose on fossil fuel consumption.

Sec. Chu advocates European prices for U.S. energy and he will get his way under the stimulus plan.

Read the "cap and trade" provisions. They are very specific; moreson than medical and financial programs under the plan.

(I am posting a link to a 3/1/09 Chi. Tribune article on Obama's plans for immediate implementation and higher prices:www.chicagotribune.com...

deny ignorance

jw

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
It does appear that McIntyres work was not disputed, and shunned, but incorporated into the data set within two days. This tends to seem like it was not a deliberate coverup, but a genuine mistake;

Either that, or it is a cover story for collusion.

I'm just sayin'...

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

In my view, Hansen went from hero to nut in no time flat.

Too bad, really.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Liberals are the true modern fascists (well, their lineage is from the "Progressive" movement), this woman is just another frustrated totalitarian.

Unless she is living a life without any use of transport, electricity, energy etc and exists on a purely subsistence level then she and her cronies can kiss my rear end and check out my gas emission

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Whenever you see "official science," you can absolutely guarantee it is not science, but the realm of the charlatan that too often includes the politician.
Global warming is also called "climate change," which means nothing because the climate is always changing. The embarrassment of global warming conferences getting totally snowed in late February and early March 2009 is demonstrates the irony. Now carbon dioxide, a gas essential to life on earth is to be taxed globally, putting more money in the pockets of the hyper rich, and draining everyone else. There is your reason, and the death of authentic science. Just as real authentic intelligence was exploited for its reliability and authoritative underpinnings during the creation of war, unreality is making its stand upon authentic science, and again on an authoritative politically correct basis indicating a failure of reason under the politics of coercion.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SkipShipman

For those who challenge AGW skeptics:

"Theories have four stages of acceptance:
i. this is worthless nonsense;
ii. this is interesting, but perverse;
iii. this is true, but quite unimportant;
iv. I always said so."
J.B.S. Haldane, 1965

"You can recognize a pioneer by the arrows in his back."
Beverly Rubik

Sadly, the public march for AGW is being conducted in a SNOWSTORM!

Serves Hansen, et al right.

deny ignorance

jw

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I had to post this on here. LOL, we ended up with between 4 Inches of Snow all over the District (Washington, D.C.), and up to 7+ Inches only a few miles away.

Check out the Protestors standing in the snow, wearing tightly wrapped Parkas, with Hoods Pulled, and Scarves, Gloves, Face Masks, etc.:

And look at the Wonderful Snowfall:

Like Neil Cavuto said to the Greenpeace Spokesman today: "As a Marketing Tip, couldn't you at least have picked a Warmer Month to stage your protest?"

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Also saw a report today from NOAA that acknowledges that warming is "on hold" and has been for most of the decade. Of course, they go on to warn of explosvie warming even though the models in use support no such conclusion!

deny ignorance

jw

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join