It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Internet could become conscious by mid-2030s

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

So Google is creative?
Or it is just that it's ability to adapt to users and "read" their mind is called "intelligence".
Google is an intelligent servant

Here we can also open question whether intelligent Internet will be "one" or a colony of intelligent entities? Are there going to be inter-internet wars for survival, for resources, inter-internet hatred based on multiple reasons, etc...

[edit on 2-3-2009 by DangerDeath]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I don't know if the internet by itself, solely based upon connections and volume of information, can become "conscious".

What is more likely, in my opinion, is a created AI (such as an advanced creativity machine) infecting the internet with consciousness. Scientists have already created "creativity machines" which execute algorithms that produce new, creative ideas ranging from such mundane things as new polymers to such creative things like symphonies.

Imagine what the impact would be if even a vaguely conscious (like a mouse running a maze) were loosed upon the internet, with virtually limitless expansion potential, not to mention the vast stores of data instantly at it's "fingertips." Algorithms are already in place in most communication protocols to rout data around damaged or inactive nodes, so that downtime in communication grids are minimized.

If such an thing as a conscious internet became a reality, does it mean we would be at its mercy? Surely, defense, commerce, banking, and communication systems could be compromised, but until there's a ground force for the internet to mobilize (the actual terminators in the Terminator series, if we want to look at it like that) we retain the upper hand. Even if the Internet were sentient, it could not stop us from shutting it down. Humans could still physically pull the plugs, and sever the communication lines comprising its neural net.

What we really should be afraid of, is horrifyingly automated defense systems, which could be turned against us.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Evasius

Robert Heinlein wrote about the idea of a computer reaching a "critical mass" and becoming self aware (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress , 1966). Far from becoming a monster, "Mike" aids the good guys in overthrowing the Authority. In fact, the revolution carried out in the novel would have not been possible without the computational power of Mike.

Maybe...

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
This is probably the reason they released this report.

They're only doing this to scare, and therefore control the mass population even more.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Some scientist'S are so out of touch with reality, the world and themselves. They need to go outdoors and come out of the closet. Deal study our own brains before we create something we cannot comprehend or know the turnout of a such a creation. There will be drastic consquences for this. Don't say I didnt warn you all.

This is the reason this thread and what's been thought of is absurd. This developement is premature. We are not fully able to understand ourselves yet.

THERE IS NO LOGIC BEHIND CREATING SOMETHING CREATIVE FROM ROBOTS.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by universe attracts wisdom]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
some of you guys seem to be overlooking the FACT that the "internet" is nothing but a giant collection of STORAGE equipment. It has zero consciousness capabilities and never will unless those capabilities are CONSCIOUSLY added into the system, i.e. a separate program that uses all that information and databases and does something with it.
But hoping the internet itself will become 'conscious' is like wishing your file drawer or bookshelf is going to magically become conscious one day.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Human version 2.0
video.google.co.uk...#
I watched this on 'Horizon' two or three year ago and found it fascinating.

Within the programme, it was discussed that Moore's Law (where computer complexity doubles every 18 months) will lead to computers that are as complex as the human brain by the year 2029. They gave a term for this event, "singularity," where "artificial" technology will rival the complexity of the human brain.

In one experiment a monkey controls a robot arm just by moving its own arm. However, the robot arm was wired up to the monkey's brain and was tapping into the movement section of the monkey's brain. Then something surprising happened with the experiment, the monkey realised that it did not need to move its own arm, and moved the robot arm just with its thoughts.

The programme also discusses the first generation of computers with superior intellects to that of humans. Those computers will, in theory, create computers that humans aren't capable of creating, & those computers will be more intelligent than their predecessors.

The cycle will repeat & rapidly accelerate in what's called the "Intelligence Explosion" with the end product being machines with the power of Gods, machines that cannot be outdone intellectually due to it being just plain impossible to create a more intelligent machine.

Just as the monkey moved the robot arm with its mind, one of these machines could possibly control the movement of people by sending out electrical impulses to control the electrical impulses in the human brain - like radio waves - no need for wires. It may also be able to move Tanks, Rocket launchers - who knows what else.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by BetweenMyths]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
This is not a good thing, if you ask me.

Have you watched the Terminator series?...although that's a far stretch and a science fiction film series, I feel that having computers become self aware may be dangerous.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
As I stated before, Sir Roger Penrose has proven this to be mathematically impossible for any computer to ever have intelligence or a conscious....

Well atleast someone gets it. There just is not logic that can explain or create consciousness. Consciousness creates logic, not the other way around. The only thing that can create something out of nothing is thought, and consciousness creates thought.

I tell people all the time, if someone can prove otherwise, they will be a rich man because it's not something that can be done.

1 thing is apparent, many people will be fooled by AI one day and will think it is conscious. They throw around words like "learn" and "think". Programs don't do either of these things. They do things which appear to be like it, but the logic it uses never changes, it never learns new logic, it is incapable of understanding the logic it follows much less creating new logic or gaining new logic from "learning" or "thinking".

It's just a bunch of patterns and logic. It takes a conscious being to create it. People forget the scientist is needed for science, and the programmer is needed for artificial intelligence.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Internet is already like a jungle. Programs spreading their tentacles, sucking out information, fighting each other...

"Intelligence" in this case would mean that those programs got out of control and created a loop imitating "reproduction" or "maintenance" system, simply doing what they do. But this can be programmed. So it is only and truly "artificial" intelligence.

We can easily draw such analogies.

But, out there might be some intelligence lurking and jumping to the opportunity to use the whole network as its physical/digital form and so take over the body we created.

IMO this could be more probable than "creating" sentient Internet.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

No body here is asking you to believe in GOD

And it's likely that nobody will ask the internet to believe that we are God. But might it choose to think of us as such?

If the internet does become conscious, I'd like to propose that we be kind to it. In many ways the existence we have had here on earth has been painful and difficult. If we are to become creator for a new consciousness, then let us give it a more gentle and loving home than we ourselves have received.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evasius
The global brain is currently comprised of 1,574,313,184 connected computers.

The human brain is comprised of over 10 billion nerves cells and 10,000 synapses.

www.willamette.edu...

The PC stats above refer to known computers connected to the internet. Government, military, and super computers are more than likely not included.

I think it's safe to say you are correct, however it may happen sooner than that. It is possible that the internet is 'aware' in some way though not yet to human status. But it will inevitably surpass us not only on an individual level, but on the level of the collective.

And if and when it reaches an awareness and is truly intelligent, it will not make its presence known immediately for the sake of self preservation. Any actions taken susequently by the AI will also be the result of self preservation and cold steadfast logic.

We'll need to take precautions prior to arriving at this point in history, similar to the actions that steered us clear of any Y2K problems we might have had - only this is a far more compromising scenario than that.

My short story, These Dark Worlds, deals with the awakening of a dangerous 'logical' AI, and what happens once it becomes truly 'awake.'

[edit on 1/3/09 by Evasius]

So what? If it becomes fully conscious, what would it do? Attack us with websites? Bomb us with virus-injected MP3's?

Its not like Internet controls everything. Computers control everything, not the internet. I cant tell the internet to activate my bedroom lights, but i can with a computer. I mean,.. the internet does not control the chips in our computers. It cant tell my CPU to do something.

And besides that, how can a signal, through a physical cable, ever become self-conscious? Isnt it the same with, lets say, a phone? Whenever you speak to someone on a phone you send a signal through a cable too.

Look, maybe im just to dumb to comprehend this, but i cant imagine such a thing. Would it not need a human hand to make it evolve?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

So what? If it becomes fully conscious, what would it do? Attack us with websites? Bomb us with virus-injected MP3's?

Its not like Internet controls everything. Computers control everything, not the internet. I cant tell the internet to activate my bedroom lights, but i can with a computer. I mean,.. the internet does not control the chips in our computers. It cant tell my CPU to do something.

And besides that, how can a signal, through a physical cable, ever become self-conscious? Isnt it the same with, lets say, a phone? Whenever you speak to someone on a phone you send a signal through a cable too.

Look, maybe im just to dumb to comprehend this, but i cant imagine such a thing. Would it not need a human hand to make it evolve?

it would stop you from posting

its impossible anytime within the next 5 years for it to have a concious... we cant even give a robot a concious

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
It can become conscious?

How?
What if someone turns it off?
Then is that like killing it?

Because without electricity, it wont be working.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
Consciousness creates logic, not the other way around.

How exactly did you conclude this ?

Originally posted by badmedia
The only thing that can create something out of nothing is thought, and consciousness creates thought.

Are you saying that our consciousness cannot create another one ?

If so, can you prove it ?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

Fascinating thread! and I agree entirely. There has yet to be a scientific explanation for what "consciousness" actually means or is, and until that problem gets sorted out, we can't really know ascribe consciousness to computers since we don't really know what the term means.
One way to define conscioussness is as subjective experience. How are we going to be able to determine that a computer is having a subjective experience? It may be behaving in a way that suggests that it is having a subjective experience, but how could we tell whether or not this was just programmed behavioral mimicry?
The truth is, there is only one incidence of subjective experience/consciousness that any person can be sure of, and that is their own. The fact that anything outside of yourself may have consciousness is something you really have to take as a matter of faith (sure, its a nearly universally held belief, but still a leap of faith). Meaning, for all I know, I may be the only consciouss being in the entirety of existence, and everyone else might be zombies, robots, "matrix programs" or mere illusions created by some deceitful god, or merely the product of your own imaginations.
Conscioussness is paradoxical. It is the only thing that we truly know exists (Descartes "I think therefore I am") and yet there is no way to empirically test for it. We tried cutting open our skulls, but all we found was a mass of pink and grey stuff, no signs of consciousness.
Is it possible for a computer, or the internet, or any artificially created object to have consciousness? I really don't know, because I don't really know what consciousness is. I can't think of any reason why the possibility should be ruled out, but, once again, how would we know? We could build a computer that could walk like a person, talk like a person, have memories like a person, show emotions like a person, learn like a person, make judgements like a person, etc, but we still wouldn't be able to tell whether it was consciouss or not, whether it was actually experiencing subjectively.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ownification

Humans are not binary computers. Computers are binary calculators. When will a calculator ever become a living being?

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
actually there has!

Actually Sir Roger Penrose has mathematically proven this to be wrong and published it.

www.consciousentities.com...

Originally posted by outsider13
reply to post by badmedia

Fascinating thread! and I agree entirely. There has yet to be a scientific explanation for what "consciousness" actually means or is, and until that problem gets sorted out, we can't really know ascribe consciousness to computers since we don't really know what the term means.
One way to define conscioussness is as subjective experience. How are we going to be able to determine that a computer is having a subjective experience? It may be behaving in a way that suggests that it is having a subjective experience, but how could we tell whether or not this was just programmed behavioral mimicry?
The truth is, there is only one incidence of subjective experience/consciousness that any person can be sure of, and that is their own. The fact that anything outside of yourself may have consciousness is something you really have to take as a matter of faith (sure, its a nearly universally held belief, but still a leap of faith). Meaning, for all I know, I may be the only consciouss being in the entirety of existence, and everyone else might be zombies, robots, "matrix programs" or mere illusions created by some deceitful god, or merely the product of your own imaginations.
Conscioussness is paradoxical. It is the only thing that we truly know exists (Descartes "I think therefore I am") and yet there is no way to empirically test for it. We tried cutting open our skulls, but all we found was a mass of pink and grey stuff, no signs of consciousness.
Is it possible for a computer, or the internet, or any artificially created object to have consciousness? I really don't know, because I don't really know what consciousness is. I can't think of any reason why the possibility should be ruled out, but, once again, how would we know? We could build a computer that could walk like a person, talk like a person, have memories like a person, show emotions like a person, learn like a person, make judgements like a person, etc, but we still wouldn't be able to tell whether it was consciouss or not, whether it was actually experiencing subjectively.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by outsider13

There has yet to be a scientific explanation for what "consciousness" actually means or is,

Exactly, until then we can only make assumptions. It is not wrong to make assumptions because that is the bases of all scientific studies. Without assumptions we wouldn't move forward.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

actually there has! Actually Sir Roger Penrose has mathematically proven this to be wrong and published it.
reply to post by GrndLkNatv

There has what? What did Penrose prove to be wrong?
From what I could tell by looking briefly at an article about him on the link you posted, he seemed to be attempting to prove that consciousness isn't reduceable to pure computation or the Turing machine model.
Perhaps you could explain Penrose's argument a little, rather than just stating that so and so is wrong because Penrose proved it mathematically and published his results.
What did he prove?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join