It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Builders of Stonehenge?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I read an ebook which claimed that according to Geoffrey of Monmouth in his "History of the Kings of Britain," part of Stonehenge was constructed by giants who came from Africa. Is this true?

Source: retakeyourfame.blogspot.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Crazyhole

This site is also interesting on this subject, worth a look...
Very informative. I'm doing an extensive research on the subject, will post later.

Also, this site explains the same thing.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by teklordz]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Ok, found this site with map of location of village near Stonehenge.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/91e3cc814b53.jpg[/atsimg]

Interesting stuff, to say the least

Edit: video about the subject here

[edit on 1-3-2009 by teklordz]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Crazyhole

Naturally, there is some mystery about the the builders of Stonehenge because it was constructed some thousands of years ago. The mysteries and uncertainties don't extend to an early population of Africans. They simply don't. There's no scintilla of evidence to even support the suggestion.

I enjoyed reading the link because it shares the same features as some of the claims that Giza wasn't built by Egyptians. Where some insist that the pyramids were a Caucasian creation, it's interesting to see the same thinking applied to Stonehenge.

The incremental steps that led to Stonehenge as we know it today are supported by the archaeological record. There are burials of the builders and artifacts dated to the the period. Timber post holes from the earlier 'woodhenge' and antler digging tools have all been found there. None of the few human remains have been found to be African in origin.

That Africans were influential in any North European culture is undeniable but the extraordinary claim that Britain was inhabited by Africans has no supporting evidence. I'll leave it to members with more knowledge to address the points raised in your link.

Interesting post

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I've managed to put the Giza puzzle to rest in my head, but Stonehenge is still a mystery.

What your theory suggests makes sense. I can't offer anything here, but to say I'll keep and eye out to see what transpires with the giants.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
evidence is starting to show that the people who built the henges were from the alps.

"The archer", a man who is buried at stone henge was born born in austria.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks09
evidence is starting to show that the people who built the henges were from the alps.

"The archer", a man who is buried at stone henge was born born in austria

I remember reading about this gentleman. His tooth enamel and/or bones contained minerals in a quantity that could only have arisen if he'd been raised on or near the Alps. His grave was a major archaeological find and hit all of our newspapers. The grave goods indicated great wealth and importance but I'm not sure about the Austrian connection to Stonehenge's construction?

The contents of the grave indicated far more regional connections than had been thought likely. I think they originated from all over Europe.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
As long ago as the seventeenth century antiquarians were speculating that the knowledge to build Stonehenge 'came out of Africa'. And why not - a few centuries before Stonehenge was built the Babylonians developed mathematics and geometry, ancient peoples did not draw strict geographic distinctions, for Africa read 'exotic lands'. This was exactly the time when tin and copper began to be exploited in western Europe, as people traveled so did skills: seafaring, navigation, surveying, rope-making, engineering...

Recently the design of Stonehenge has been reconsidered, and shown to be based on the symmetry of simple geometry, So maybe we shouldn't simply dismiss the 'out of Africa' claims in the ancient texts....

[edit on 2-3-2009 by Tall_weasel]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Stonehenge was actually rebuilt early last century, so I think the design we see nowadays is only roughly based on where the stones were laid before it was 'reconstructed'.

I'm sure it isn't too different to the original structure of the stones, but I guess this is something we'll never really know!

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crazyhole

I read an ebook which claimed that according to Geoffrey of Monmouth in his "History of the Kings of Britain," part of Stonehenge was constructed by giants who came from Africa. Is this true?

Giants who came from Africa?
It was constructed by pagans.
People have re created how they constructed it.
They used balance to move the blocks.
Some guy did it in his backyard.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
To me there's no mystery to who built Stonehenge. The people were descended from hunter gatherers who eventually turned to farming over the course of the Mesolithic and Neolithic. With the advent of modern farming, they settled down, lived in larger populations, had more time on their hands, developed intricate politics, laws & religion (although they had politics & religion before farming, larger populations made these things more advanced) etc.
Its these British people who are the ones who are responsible for building Stonehenge- there are thousands of neolithic farmsteads and villages all over the south of England. These were remarkable people, civilized and not barbarians, and not unlike people living in Wiltshire and elsewhere for thousands of years onwards.
The skeletons buried around Stonehenge and nearby monuments are all European. There is no evidence for any African influence whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crazyhole

In a word, no. Very, very few people take Geoffrey of Monmouth seriously. His history of Britain is pretty much a fantasy that inspired a lot of 18th and 19th C romanticisation about the history of the British Isles and Ireland.

top topics

join