It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal cigarette tax will increase by 62 cents per pack

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Well I'm one that will not be taxed into submission, I believe by giving up my right to smoke will be giving up a part of my freedom, by increasing the tax on smokes this is what they want, by forcing you to stop smoking.

Have any of you ever seen a smoker going thru DT's, not pleasant is it. just think of the numbers out there that will have to be FORCED to quit smoking.

For all you Anti-smokers out there, kiss my arse. I don't tell you how to live.

and another thing some of you say that smoking causes cancer, yea right!!!, so does hamburger, and a few other items that I can't think of right now, and where did you hear that tobacco causes cancer, oh!!, I see the government.

Smoking is an enjoyment, just like when you go for that can of beer, you just want to lean back in a nice comfy chair, kick off those shoes that's been hurting your feet all day and enjoy.

I will survive, pissed, but I will survive.

my two cents worth.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Out of curiosity, what are you paying for a pack of smokes now?

$3.50 - $6.00 *American Spirits

I'm on day five without a smoke

I feel great and crazy at the same time...

chewing the nicorettes like crazy

Sorry my vote is messing up you all's.

I agree it should be a state thing on the smokes -

GOP will be back in soon enough - hang in there my conservative counterparts, the balancing act is what makes this place possible.

CA

[edit on 2-3-2009 by mental modulator]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tiso_us

I will survive, pissed, but I will survive.

If you keep on smoking, chances are, statistically speaking, - no you won't. Not a one liner.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I rarely smoke but decided to buy a pack just for the exam week stress that was coming up. $5.80 !! Freaking incredible. I remember when they were around $4.00 and then went up to $4.25 that was a year or 2 ago. Now on top of the 62 cent tax they will be $6.42.

I just have to add, way to kill the tobacco companies. I wonder if indian reservations will get taxed the same way or if they will continue being cheaper than the norm? I can see people importing them from foreign countries.

In indonesia you could buy a pack of marlboros for 98 cents, and those were the most expensive there.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation
In Ohio a pack of Marlboro lights are already $4.90.

So now it's gonna go up to $5.50 for a single pack that is just insane.

In Ireland its nearly $9.50 for a pack of cigs.

They are taxed to the hilt.. its the same with alcohol.

Whenever our government wants us to cut down on something, it ups the taxes

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Camel lights. I average paying only about $2.25 a pack because I can almost always find the buy one - get one free deals. $2.79 if you buy 3 packs when that's not available. I live in Florida which seeems like one of the cheapest states.

I think eventually they will collect less from these taxes then they do now. Once this tax goes into effect I will be done smoking. It will ultimately mean the end of many jobs in convience stores and in the tobacco industry. Jobs that we need at this juncture.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

There is a brand called Seneca, made in Canada of all places that sells for $1.50 in Tulsa OK, and no kidding it is a good cigarette. I can't smoke the nasty generics but Seneca is not like them. I don't know why they are so cheap but I've been buying them for a couple years. I had told a friend about them two years ago and she kept buying her Salems paying about $35 a carton. The other day she told me she got tired of paying so much and that she tried the Seneca's and said how good they were (as far as cigs go ya know).

Also the manager at the Indian Smoke Shop said that is a load about the taxes going up; maybe it does not apply to Indian Smoke Shops.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I roll my own for about $8 a carton.It's going to get much cheaper for me,I ordered tobacco seeds so I can grow my own. It's an air cured burly tobacco,good for cigaretts and pipes. Also in hard times tobacco might be a good trading tool.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Well politics aside most of you all are lying when you say you'll quit due to a FED bump
( which I disagree with )

You know how bad it is for you, you know how it makes you feel, you know half the colds you get are due to the smokes and you know how bad you jones when your jonesing.

I'm on day 6 - got my nicorette in my grill, chewing like a 90 year old lady with two teeth, taking on a piece of beef jerky.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
For all you "roll your own" types. This tax is going to hit you especially hard. Loose tobacco as well as papers & tubes are going to be hit with a tax higher than regular cigs.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Quit!

Nicotine addiction is one of the hardest to beat for a variety of reasons, such as social cues, psychological habituation, and peer pressure: your smoking friends won't be helpful.

But, despite these factors the withdrawal period is only three days.

You don't need cigarettes for stress.

You don't need them to be cool.

You don't need them to make yourself smell better.

You only need cigarettes to feed the addiction.

Three days and you're physically liberated.

It can be done and you'll pay less to the government as a result.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Since you folks are walking down the collectivist path now, this only makes sense.

If there's going to be an expansion of socialized healthcare coverage, there may as well be a redress taxation on those who are going to need its services as a result of their own choice.

I hate all taxes, but within a corrupt system there are things that make more sense than others.

I'd certainly prefer a tax burden on consumption rather than on the income side.

Taxing gasoline to reduce its usage, or cigarettes to lower their usage makes more sense than taxing income. The first two penalise unhealthy behaviour (creation of noxious gasses, and health damage). An income tax penalises success... which is why I reserve special hatred for it.

So to summarise: In principle against it; in practice its not the worst offender.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I didn't know anything about this until I bought a pack of smokes last night and the total was $4.32; I asked if the price was right, because I've never paid that much.

Really makes me mad, the Federal government has no right to raise cigarette taxes, that should be a state issue.

And its not up to the state or Federal government to say, "we are doing this to encourage people to stop smoking", that should be my own concerns. You bastards are poisoning our water and vaccines, you care about the health of no one but yourselves.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I am not a smoker so it doesn't affect me. I can go on unencumbered by the cigarette tax. No problem right? Wrong.

I am bothered by the smug attitude of the arrogant nonsmokers that love to point out others faults.

Things would be different if Obama decided to put a 63 cent per liter tax on bottled water.

That would be mor fair right?

Everybody would get to share the burden of 'change' and not just the socially unpopular smokers.

It will come around though. They will go after the non-pc crowd first and the pc crowd will cheer. Then it will begin to creep into the pc crowds back yard as well. They will get the opportunity to experience consternation and then anger over the fact that they have been targeted as well. They won't think it 'fair' any more but it will be too late oh arrogant pc cheerleader. You will get yours. The cheerful enabler will get his or her chance to be a target.

Just remember the day you supported raising taxes on another group of people and how self righteous you felt about it. That will make it all better when it is your habit they tax.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I'm paying about 40.00 dollars for a carton of Marlboro reds,my neighbor goes to Palm Springs and pays 12.00 a carton for off breed brand at the indian reservation Black Jack I think,keeps up I might join him

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It's kind of hypocritical that this is what gets targeted when there are plenty of other issues along the same lines they could attack if they wanted. The government had better pray they don't actually convince anyone to stop buying cigarettes.

How about in return for paying all that money everyone could stop getting bombarded with the whole "Guess what! Smoking is unhealthy!" thing.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Sin tax is really pissing me off, and I do not smoke. I do drink and I do enjoy a good cigar, so I guess I'm on the hit list to pay.

Hell I got a traffic ticket last week that I will need to spend a day in court to fight. The cop said I was doing 12 over and I was last in a line of cars that were speeding. He also said I was not 7 1/2 lengths from the car in front of me, and failed to understand that his presence caused all the cars to hit their brakes, hence bunching them up...

...well for my driving sins....400 dollars and he off handedly told me I can just mail it in...what the hell.

Its like the government has decided to go after everyone with a hidden tax that they just blame the people so we do not complain so much. If we were not so “bad” we wouldn’t be paying out our ass for our sins….nice

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

If they started taxing the crap out of a completely voluntary thing that I did, that was not necessary, well...I would just quit doing it.

I guess easier for me to say as a non-smoker. I'm sure an increased alcohol tax is coming soon though, if/when that happens, easy...I won't buy alcohol anymore. If they started to tax the crap out of my television watching, easy, stop watching.

Smoking is a choice, and though the tax is obviously unpopular with smokers, no one is forcing them to smoke, therefore no one is forcing them to pay those taxes.

It is NOT a tax on people making less than 250,000 a year, its a tax on people buying cigarettes, who can make any amount of money. If you don't want to pay the taxes, don't buy them. Or, do as someone else stated above and go buy some from an indian reservation where the federal taxes mean jack.

Comparing taxing cigarettes to taxing bottle water is a bit ludicrous. Smoking cigs is a complete choice, you do NOT need them to survive. Now, if they start taxing our breathing, that is another thing all together. I couldn't simply choose to stop breathing so I don't have to pay taxes. Well, I guess technically I could, but it would not end too well.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimpish
reply to post by badgerprints

If they started taxing the crap out of a completely voluntary thing that I did, that was not necessary, well...I would just quit doing it.

I guess easier for me to say as a non-smoker. I'm sure an increased alcohol tax is coming soon though, if/when that happens, easy...I won't buy alcohol anymore. If they started to tax the crap out of my television watching, easy, stop watching.

Smoking is a choice, and though the tax is obviously unpopular with smokers, no one is forcing them to smoke, therefore no one is forcing them to pay those taxes.

It is NOT a tax on people making less than 250,000 a year, its a tax on people buying cigarettes, who can make any amount of money. If you don't want to pay the taxes, don't buy them. Or, do as someone else stated above and go buy some from an indian reservation where the federal taxes mean jack.

Comparing taxing cigarettes to taxing bottle water is a bit ludicrous. Smoking cigs is a complete choice, you do NOT need them to survive. Now, if they start taxing our breathing, that is another thing all together. I couldn't simply choose to stop breathing so I don't have to pay taxes. Well, I guess technically I could, but it would not end too well.

How about heavy tax on anything that we drink other than water. Lets put a 25 cent tax on all soda cans...its a choice...

We can go with a luxury tax too. Good cuts of meat, higher cost cars, good cheeses...etc

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
I ordered tobacco seeds so I can grow my own. It's an air cured burly tobacco,good for cigaretts and pipes. Also in hard times tobacco might be a good trading tool.

This is a great idea! Where you live, you might just be able to grow it and they won't have all the nasty chemicals that cigarette companies put in their cigs.

I used a smokers blend from the herb shop (wild tobacco, sage, etc) to quit smoking and rolled my own with filters and a rolling machine. They are good! And not even close to the toxicity of commercial cigs.

Good luck!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join