It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VENUS / MOON / STAR - Which is Venus?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

erpps.....foremanator....I may have to go back and check my records.....

EDIT....I am NOT a strong computer user....seriously...I get so many error messages, wish I had a dollar for every one!!!!!

[edit on 3/2/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

'checking my records'??? what a fluff!!! Seriously, I can't even see what other people who access my computer do.....I mean, I know how to see the websites they have visited, but time and date.....all I know, as far as the 'date'....it was yesterday......

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by arry01

I had a look at the footage I took last night but it was not worth putting up.Tarifa's video was a lot better.

I will keep an eye on the sky this week and report back here if anything unusual happens.But yes it did look odd last night.

Lewtra

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
what's with all the fascination with Venus recently??? Am I missing something....is it because it's brighter than normal....or have I missed something....

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I run my own pub and have a regular, evening trade which consists a broad cross section of society.

One gentleman who frequents there regularly professes to be the font of all knowledge, despite being caught out on several occassions.
Unfortunately some of the other regulars tend to take his word as gospel.

Due to the draconian smoking laws imposed on us we often find ourselves outside on an evening and occassionally the subject under discussion turns to matters astronomical.
Rather more so than normal recently.
Suprisingly, the topic has often been the luminosity of an object in the sky which is in close proximity to the moon.
The 'wise one' has assured everyone that this object is indeed the specestation.
I in turn have said that I believe the object to be Venus.

Venus does definately seem to be brighter than I can recall it being before and can understand the confusion.

Reading this thread re-assures me that it is indeed Venus, but being of limited knowledge in this area, I would appreciate it if some of those more qualified could comment on the possibility of this object being the spacestation.

Unfortunately I cannot upload any photo's but if I get the opportunity to do so I shall do.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

The ISS will move across the sky in a matter of minutes.

Here's a good site that tracks the ISS:

www.heavens-above.com...

You can input your coordinates as well and find out when it's next pass will be.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thank you Chad, a quick glance at the current orbit of the ISS shows that it comes nowhere near North East England thus discounting it as being the object under discussion.

The brightness of the object would also suggest that if it were any known artificial satellite then it would have to be at such a low altitude that it would render it completely useless.

Venus it definately is.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by waveguide3
The planet Venus and the Moon were 'in conjunction' on 27 February. That means they were visually close together on that evening. There wasn't any eclipse, they simply appeared near each other. Now because the Moon moves across the sky much faster than Venus, the two are now separating and are tonight pretty far apart, but in the same general westerly location. Venus is by far the brightest 'star' in the sky. I'm not sure what the third star is that you mention, but it doesn't figure in recent events anyway.

WG3

[edit on 1-3-2009 by waveguide3]

It's probably Jupiter

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

I think Jupiter is well out of the limelight now when it comes to the evening sky...Venus without a doubt...heres a few shots from Stellarium on 27th Feb at 20:00

Venus NorthWest

Sirius and Orion towards South SouthWest

3rd Star/Planet possibly Saturn....you mentioned if you put your arms in a V shape...I dont know how big your arms and maybe your double jointed but this is Saturn in East direction...

Hope this may help a little....

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Missletow

your way of giving him info was cheeky and arrogant, maybe your help is not wanted here, im sure there are plenty other people who will answer Harrys question NICLEY wothout l;aughiing at him or mocking him.,..............
, sorry i cant help harry i dont know, but im watching with interest as i too would like some clarification on the colour changing star

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by booda
.is it because it's brighter than normal....o

That would be it... More people notice it now...

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

Jupiter is behind the sun right now, you wont be seeing it for a few months.

Peace

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Up here in North Scotland we had a lovely view of Venus and the Moon on friday night (27th). Now I thought Venus had a bit of a funny shape (I look at the stars a lot as we get very good clear skies at night) with naked eyes, so I got out my fieldglasses.

Looking through them at an incredibly bright Venus, I saw what looked like a tail, trailing away from the sun, just a wee one but clearly it was not a lens flare, as I checked a couple of times. (turned glasses over to see if tail was still there - it was). Unfortunately I was not anywhere near a decent camera so very sorry to not be able to document it. Venus was incredibly bright that night, and as it set a while later, the light cloud in front of it, was glowing as bright as the moon).

I have noticed that the light of the planets has been getting brighter over the last couple of years definitely, and Sirius, which does the red-blue flashing thing is also now very bright in the sky.

So, was it just a trick of the light, some kind of solar-flare induced thing or what? it surprised me certainly to see it at the time, and the sky was clear deep blue with lots of contrast..

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pr0metheu5

I was stargazing on the 27th (comet Lulin week!) and Venus was a razor thin vertical fingernail.

I was looking at it through a telescope but I assume the tail you saw had to do with Venus's current phase.

Peace

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealDonPedros

Jupiter is not "behind the sun". It is visible in the eastern sky before dawn.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Ok maybe one of you guys can enlighten me

If I stand just now looking towards the moon, its at around 11 on a clock, the bright star i assume to be venus is about 4, so in relation to these where would the flashing star folks are talking about be.....

Im in Edinburgh scotland, so light pollution may be stopping me from seeing it....

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whoswatchinwho

Venus is below and to the right of the Moon (both in the western sky)
Sirius is lower than the moon and higher than Venus but almost directly south.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You're being nit-picky, I know you fired up Stellarium and saw that there is maybe a 15 minute window of night left in which you would be able to see Jupiter. After which it is definitely too close to the sun (not behind to the right, im sorry) to look at.

I'm pretty sure you would have a hard time getting a decent look at it right now with that limited window + pre-dawn glow, so I'm gonna stick with my original call, that you wont be seeing Jupiter for a few months.

Peace

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealDonPedros

No.
I've seen it myself and on the thread about Jupiter having ignited there are telescopic images made by other members.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 3/2/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Ihave just noticed the bright venus/moon/star! has gone, can anyone help me out here?

im viewing from dublin, ireland.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join