It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VENUS / MOON / STAR - Which is Venus?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Hi arry,I have been outside and took some footage.It does look kinda odd.Yeah, its a quarter moon and the shine is omitting really bright.

I will take a grab from the video and post it here.venus is also in the video frame and brilliant.

Lewtra

[edit on 1/3/2009 by lewtra]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Here check out this recent post
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by foremanator

Originally posted by Comatose
You don't have to be an astronomer to know that... It should be basic common knowledge, assuming you've finished high-school. If you have, then that's quite distressing... Really. If not, then that's acceptable (and understandable) but I'd urge you to look further into basic knowledge of the solar system.

I'm talking about the sizes of the planets, moon, etc. and just the basic layout of the solar system, not their current positions/locations.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by Comatose]

With all due respect Comatose
You don't have to belittle people to make your point. When you do this you create an environment that is not conducive to people sharing their thoughts and questions for fear of ridicule.
I would strongly recommend that you make sure you have your facts checked first before making a statement like that, it's kinda arrogant.
"condemnation before investigation is the height of ignorance"

Read his reply to the other poster.

Then read my reply to his.

I was not ridiculing him. Thanks.

Granted, it probably came across that way and I apologise.

I'm just sick of people buttering things up and then being surprised when someone who's finished school doesn't know something like this.

Why's everyone so scared of getting hurt ("we don't do it because it is easy... but because it is hard...") ? And no, the intention in my post was not to 'hurt' anyone.

I'm sorry... Really... I just can't stand the way things are being done at the moment. It's ridiculous.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by Comatose]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

I'm with you all the way foremanator; the "police lights" reference is spot on - maybe a disco ball - amazing colors coming off "Venus" anyway...I too have not seen Venus this prominent for so long, seemingly in various but similar spots in the sky. The metacafe "meeting" vid could have been anything without knowing much about the authors...maybe a play?
Interesting times indeed.

ColoradoJens

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lewtra

Lewtra that would be great if you could upload it.

HarrY

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Comatose

Point taken and I apologize for rushing to a conclusion.
I guess I am just a little disheartened at the manner of posts as of recent. It seems like some people just come on here to ridicule and belittle people, and I have been on a tangent lately trying to address the effect that this has on people freely sharing information.

Thank you though for making yourself clear.

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on Mon Mar 2 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Here is a video I took on the 27th of Feb of Venus and the moon in conjunction.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Edit

[edit on 1/3/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Thats the one mate!

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Look for the brightest object in the night sky (apart from the moon).... that is Venus.
Sirius (AKA the Dog star - Orion the Hunter's dog) is also very bright (the brightest star we can see) and can be seen by taking a "transit" (straight line) from the 3 stars in a straight line which is Orion's belt. You can see another line of stars hanging down at an angle from his belt but very feint... this is his sword. Now look above his belt and you see 2 bright stars separated by a width of just more than his belt. These are Betelgeuse and Bellatrix (Betelgeuse literally means "armpit" and these represent his shoulders. now look above these a bit more and in the centre and the small triangle of feint stars is his helmet.
Below his belt and slightly wider than it are 2 more bright stars (cant remeber the names) these are his knees.
Now look to the right of the constellation and you will see numerous feint stars in an arc shape (this is his bow). He is shooting an arrow at "Aldebaran" which is the brightest star at the top left of the V shape you see. This is Taurus the Bull's eye. Why is he there? Well he is a randy old bugger and he is chasing the "seven sisters" which you can clearly see as a feint cluster of stars to the top and right.....They are running away from him and God knows what he will do when he catches up with them

For those of you who want to see something really mind blowing......
Get a pair of binoculars and find "cassiopea" That is the constellation that looks like a big letter "W"
Imagine writing the letter W
On the third pen stroke you would be drawing a line down at an angle so take a transit from these two stars which represent the 3rd pen stroke going down (imagine this to be the 6 o'clock position ) BUT
Instead of going straight down to 6 oclock in a true transit, slowly and I mean SLOWLY.... move your bino's down at 7 oclock untill you see a fuzzy white patch, now focus in on it and HEY PRESTO......

"ANDROMEDA'S SPIRAL GALAXY"

ENJOY THE STARS'

PEACE,
RK

[edit on 1-3-2009 by Rigel Kent]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I'm glad this thread may have been of educational use to the OP.

Certainly, a continued education in the sciences is important, and should be encouraged.

There are times, when I despair....at the often-displayed general ignorance of scientific matters....even the most basic ones!

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by foremanator
we have all lived our lives under a blanket of stars

I'm one of the lucky ones to have lived under a "blanket of stars" for many years. I've been watching Venus and never have I seen it so bright. I'll ask some of the "old timers" now that you mention it.

The other night I saw it peeking through some misty clouds actually illuminating some of the thicker ones, when the clouds moved away there was a halo around Venus absolutely beautiful!

I'm in southern Colorado at an altitude of about 8000 feet. Great views no light pollution or smog. The stars seem so close here anyway but I just can't take my eyes off Venus.

Happy stargazing everyone

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

Morningglory,

You're lucky, at 8,000 feet. A lot less atmospheric blurring, and as you noted, no light pollution.

Of course, dimming the Flight Deck lights, and peering from our smallish windows from 35,000 feet....after our eyes adjust.....you can see SO MANY stars!

Perhaps, as we orbit, Venus is nearing close approach to Earth???

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I'd say at 35,000 you've got me beat but I do my stargazing in the oh so hot tub!

Sadly from what I've read Venus will disappear from the night sky by the end of the month. www.earthsky.org...

Guess we'll just have to enjoy it while we can. I might have to get a bottle of Mezcal to see her off proper!

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Missletow
Did you actually just say that Venus is IN FRONT OF THE MOON? Sorry, but your grasp of planetary size and distances are clearly wildly flawed. If venus were actually in front of the moon it would be hitting the earth. You do realize that, right?

Was it really so hard to understand he meant 'ahead' instead of 'in front'?

I gues in your haste to show how smart you are you missed that

[edit on 2-3-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

Or, MG....move to another hemisphere.....but, yes, barring that option, wait until next year....in the meantime, plenty of other 'stars', and planets to gaze from your hot tub, at 8,000 feet.....just keep inviting 'guests', and keep watching the "skies"....oh, that was supossed to be a joke, keep watching the 'skis'.....as in....oh, never mind!!!!

EDIT because I cannot stand it....I have to fix my typos!!!!

OK....probsably...(did that one on purpuose) two now, let 'em through,l just for jiggles and grins!!!!!

[edit on 3/2/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
You know I am not trying to "hijack" this post. But I wanted to run a theory past you guys.

I will start at the whole 1111 thing, because I guess that's how I got here. I see 1111 all the time and have been for the last year and a half. What does it mean to me?
1111*1111 = 1234321 or it can be viewed as a triangle or pyramid.
One thing we know about pyramids is that they are found all over the world. Off the coast of Japan www.cyberspaceorbit.com...
In Bosnia www.bosnianpyramid.com...
Egyptian Pyramids
American Pyramids www.geocities.com...
They all have their dimensions the same 1111

What did they have in common? well I don't know about the Bosnian or Japanese cultures that built those structures. But I know that the American and Egyptian cultures worshiped the Sun and I know the Sun has an eleven eleven cycle... I think that so much attention manpower and resources went in to creating these structures as a way of making sure it stands as a warning to future generations, since maybe they knew that the next time this cataclysm that occurs on the Sun, Society will not forget. A way to make sure the message was safe for thousands of years. Add to this the "end" date of 2012.

Then there is the warming "Planets" www.livescience.com...

Hmmm is there more?
The Suns shrinking Heliosphere www.telegraph.co.uk...

And the earths shrinking magneto sphere

And then there is UV at phenomenal levels in the southern hemisphere. Skin cancer is the Beast down there. Could these High UV levels be killing the Plankton in the sea? Destroying the food chain from the bottom up, and perhaps be the cause of these massive ocean dead spots we hear so much about www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2008/08/15/MNLD12ADSN.DTL

And then we have the honey bees going missing.
Did you know Honey bees see in UV? Did you know flowers that the bees collect nectar from have evolved UV pigmentation?

And then the reason I am on this Thread in the first place.
I have noticed the Stars and Planets getting brighter. And so have so many other people. And people that also see the whole 1111 thing.www.youtube.com...
this one is posted by conky111

[edit on 2-3-2009 by foremanator]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   

So, what???

We're all going to die???

Then, what is the point of worrying about it????

Come on....we have posts that say 'Aliens will save us!'

Then, we have posts that say 'We're all going to die!!!"

Then, we have other posts that claim we should buy tents, and prepare to camp....in order to survive!!!!

Part One, we're all gonna die! Well, just roll with that....

Part Two, the 'Aliens' will save us....well, whew!!!! I feel lots better, knowing that!!!

Part Three...the 'Survivalist' concept.....uh huh, no way.....just kill me in the beginning!!!!!!

Now, back to the original point....NO!!!!! Venus does NOT, and never WILL transit in front of our Moon. VENUS is hundreds of millions of miles away, the Moon is only 250,000 miles away.....to put it in context....if you were on the Moon, at light-speed, our conversations would be delayed by nearly two seconds.\

IF you were on Venus....(assuming you were alive) and wished to talk to Earth, at light speed.....depending on WHERE the planets were, at any given time....the delay would amount to minutes, for the back-and-forth.....

Let's try this on, for size....IF the SUN decided to cease to exist, suddenly....we would not know it for eight minutes. THAT is the speed of light, from the Sun to planet Earth.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Not sure if I am reading you right.
But I didn't say we were all going to die. And I didn't say the Sun has or would blow up. And I didn't claim Venus was doing anything other than, getting brighter.

All I was saying is I see a pattern in all of this and wouldnt mind some constructive criticism.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

So, what???

We're all going to die???

Then, what is the point of worrying about it????

Come on....we have posts that say 'Aliens will save us!'

Then, we have posts that say 'We're all going to die!!!"

Then, we have other posts that claim we should buy tents, and prepare to camp....in order to survive!!!!

Part One, we're all gonna die! Well, just roll with that....

Part Two, the 'Aliens' will save us....well, whew!!!! I feel lots better, knowing that!!!

Part Three...the 'Survivalist' concept.....uh huh, no way.....just kill me in the beginning!!!!!!

Now, back to the original point....NO!!!!! Venus does NOT, and never WILL transit in front of our Moon. VENUS is hundreds of millions of miles away, the Moon is only 250,000 miles away.....to put it in context....if you were on the Moon, at light-speed, our conversations would be delayed by nearly two seconds.\

IF you were on Venus....(assuming you were alive) and wished to talk to Earth, at light speed.....depending on WHERE the planets were, at any given time....the delay would amount to minutes, for the back-and-forth.....

Let's try this on, for size....IF the SUN decided to cease to exist, suddenly....we would not know it for eight minutes. THAT is the speed of light, from the Sun to planet Earth.

Are you sure you replied to the right person weedwhacker?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join