It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breastfeeding while driving gets woman a ticket

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Breastfeeding while driving gets woman a ticket

www.daytondailynews.com

KETTERING — A Harrison Twp. woman faces child endangering charges after police said she admitted to breastfeeding her child and talking on a cell phone while driving, according to Kettering Police Officer Michael Burke.

The incident happened about 7:45 a.m. Thursday, Feb., 26, near the intersection of Far Hills Avenue and Dorothy Lane, Burke said.

A male motorist called the police department's non-emergency number to report that he had seen the woman breastfeeding and talking on a cell phone while driving, Burke said. The man reported that he also witnessed the woman driving a Honda minivan into the parking lot of a local school and saw some children get out of the van. The man then got the van's license plate number and called police.

"I'm following right behind her right now on Far Hills Avenue," the caller said as he spoke to a Kettering dispatcher in a recording of his non-emergency call that was released by police on Friday, Feb. 27.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Submit General News

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Wow, this is one of those truly baffling stories.

I'm a great muti-tasker but this seems to me that it's a bit extreme.

As for me being a guy, ladies please don't blast me with the "You don't know what you're talking about, you're a guy" thing.

Does this really seem like a responsible course of action to you??
I'm on of those people who always wishes that I had more time in the day and I try to do as much as I can to save time all day long.

But this sounds rather dangerous and stupid to me. While I'm not sure that I would have 911'd her and followed her while chatting with the police, I still think that she was wrong to do this.

Anyone??

www.daytondailynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Stupid woman, what if she had an accident and the airbag was deployed?

Dead baby...all to save a bit of time by not pulling over.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Its stupid. The breast feeding nazi's of the world have even gotten into the nurseries at work and now these babies sit and scream for hours because they insist on no pacifier, not bottle, no nothing.

parents are actually willing to let thier kids get stuck for an IV and fluids rather than a bit of formula till moms milk comes in.

Le Leche League are the worst of the bunch for sure
[/rant]

This mom should get a ticket and a visit from CPS IMHO. How stupid is she? Not only driving but having he infant usecured like that.
Should get more than a ticket.

As for me being a guy, ladies please don't blast me with the "You don't know what you're talking about, you're a guy" thing.

No worries I think Ill draw the heat now

[edit on 3/1/09 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Very irresponsible of the woman, the baby and herself, and someone else could have been killed with just a minor distraction from the baby. As someone said the airbag would have crushed and killed the child instantly.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Irresponsible is putting it lightly. Taking the baby out of the car-seat while driving is bad enough, but then to be breastfeeding, talking on the phone, AND driving at the same time....she is either trying to set a record for stupid or....well, I'm not in the mood to get blasted, so I won't say what I really want to say about this jerk.

I hope they throw the book at her.

The person who called it in should get a reward for hopefully stopping this horrible person from killing her child, children, or some bystander. She can kill herself for all I care.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Well Im a woman and I can say this woman is an idiot. A stupid idiot.

"I'm following right behind her right now on Far Hills Avenue," the caller said as he spoke to a Kettering dispatcher in a recording of his non-emergency call that was released by police on Friday, Feb. 27.

"I tried to say something to her. She literally has the little girl on the steering wheel and I said, 'I can't believe you have that kid in your lap and she said, 'You want to pop your titty out and breastfeed this kid?' That's what she said to me. I'm like, 'You can feed your kid when you stop.' It's like wet out here. It's full of traffic. It's ridiculous. She's got like three other kids in the car."

She said to the police:

When a police officer spoke to her, she admitted she breastfed her child and also told police that she does not deprive her child when the child is hungry, Burke said.

Give me a flippn break. She put the lives of all her kids in danger so she could breastfeed AND talk on the phone. That baby was not going to starve to death. She could have waited until she got to the school and breastfed then.

Idiot.

I dont think she should serve jail time (because those kids do need her - although she is probably irresponsible in other areas TOO); however, she should be forced to do community service at a hospital and take care of people who have suffered greatly due to car accidents.

[edit on 3/1/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Stupid woman, what if she had an accident and the airbag was deployed?

Dead baby...all to save a bit of time by not pulling over.

Hey Bud, good afternoon.

I never even thought of the air bag thing. You're right, one dead baby.

I guess that I don't know what she was thinking and neither did she. I'd be willing to bet that this was not the first time she did this though. It looks to me that she's been doing this successfully for some time.

Kinda scary and sad at the same time.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

No worries I think Ill draw the heat now

[edit on 3/1/09 by FredT]

Thanks FredT,

I'll be your wingman for this one. Charge!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Got to give her credit for being honest with the cop. Otherwise, it would have been hard to do anything about it. At least now, maybe they can show her why she shouldn't do stupid things that endanger her life, her baby's life, and everybody's else life because of her desire to breastfeed her child while driving.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Was she talking on her cell phone at the same time?

Drinking a beverage, listening to the radio.

A Medical Doctor once explained to me how distractions are the biggest killers.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by whiteraven]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Wow some people never amaze people. Who in their right mind would ever think this is ok. That woman is lucky she didnt wreck, she could have killed that baby or someone else! I personally do not like talking on my cell will driving. It is distracting to me.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Calm down big fella, airbags also go down.
They are electronically atmospherically controlled.
But this is stupid to do this.
Why not pull over?
There is no emergency need to breastfeed.
I say this woman loses her license.
Not that she should need a license to drive in the first place.
Because I have to dodge old people and Chinese everyday.
And obviously they don't need a license.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Oh and secondly.
I want to get breastfed.
How much does it cost, ill pay teh fine.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven
Was she talking on her cell phone at the same time?

Drinking a beverage, listening to the radio.

A Medical Doctor once explained to me how distractions are the biggest killers.

[edit on 1-3-2009 by whiteraven]

Having a bunch of kids in the car is distraction enough. I wonder what they were doing? I suppose she was yelling at them: "You guys shut up now, mommy's on the phone, driving and feeding the baby!" I wonder who she was talking to? It obviously wasn't the nanny.

I wonder if she's related to the woman who thinks she's the Queen from Aliens. I've been cut off a few times by women....I mean; people on cell phones. She may have been caught being an idiot, but I'm sure she isn't the only one out there.

I wonder if she can afford her auto insurance now? This story can only get worse for her and her family. It still could have been more tragic in the first place and maybe this guy did save their lives.

On the other hand, it may likely only get worse.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I hardly ever comment, but I just wanted to add my two cents to this one. I'm a mother of two, and I nursed them both. So I can tell you that traveling with a crying baby in the car can be nightmarish, especially when you know that feeding them would immediately solve the problem. Otherwise, they're inconsolable; you can't distract them, and there's often no clear reason for the crying.

But STILL, you just don't take a child out of their car seat in a moving vehicle! I've had to pull over more than once, sometimes just to calm them, or to feed them. And yes, of course you're got somewhere you need to be, and you're on a tight schedule. But good grief, you've got to stop the car! Of course it's hard to listen to them obviously distressed, and you do want to save them from it. They are so small and vulnerable. Ugh, this mother must have been at her wit's end to do something so irresponsible!

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
This woman is stupid, stupid, stupid...:bnghd:

I don't know if anyone has seen an airbag deploy, I have. It's a very sudden but contained explosion that slams out with incredible force and releases hot gasses that vent from the deflation holes.

Infants have been injured and even decapitated when improperly placed in a vehicle or not secured in a car seat.
message.snopes.com...

Emergency responders have also been injured by the force of airbags that went off while extracting someone from a car wreck.

One bump into a car in front of her could have killed that child even if the crash was at a very low speed. That said, I think the courts should put the hammer down on this one and prosecute her to the full extent of the law.
She may as well have held a loaded gun to the child's head.:shk:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by BorgHoffen
Oh and secondly.
I want to get breastfed.
How much does it cost, ill pay teh fine.

JediMiller 2 alert

:shk:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by wolf241e

Something I knew before hand but was confirmed when I was in the Fire Academy was that cell phones no matter if hands free or not impair your abilty to drive four times worse than drunk driving. It is not the fact that your handling the phone but the human instinct.

When on the phone you cannot pick up the other person facial expression, body language and smell. Speaking to a disembodied voice no matter if it is even your sweet old grandmother creates a situation where your subconscious mind will make your conscience mind use up all its concentration to alert you and makes you concentrate on that disembodied voice if it is going to attack you or not. No matter who you are this cannot be overcome.

Couple that with a mothers instinct to care for her baby...and three other kids.

Unreal. :shk:

[edit on 2-3-2009 by LoneGunMan]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Definitely sounds like an uncaring mom, at the very least. Madonna certainly wouldn't approve.

Did she initiate the call or not?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join