It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schriever AFB-D.U.M.B?-Air Force Personnel-HELP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Colorado Air Force Base

I have not seen a satisfactory answer to the questions:

1. Why are there over 3,000 cars parked at an Air Force base that has:
a) NO runways
b) Three small buildings
c) Strange roads and markings

??? Perhaps one of my fellow ATS members can shed some light on this curious location. Post as "Anonymous" if excercising caution in responding.

The 50th Space Wing, a component of Air Force Space Command, is located at Schriever Air Force Base, Colo.

It is responsible for the operation and support of more than 170 Department of Defense satellites and installation support to 15 major tenant units with a workforce of more than 6000 personnel.

6,000 personnel does NOT convert to over 3,000 vehicles at any one time.

en.wikipedia.org...

Location is 38° 48′ 12.17″ N, 104° 31′ 32.3″ W

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Could be anything.

are the cars moving or do they stay in the same slot all the time? If so they may have unit TDY etc.

Also at the bottom of you link there are alot of Units there so 3000 cars would not be unheard of. Im guessing since Colorado Springs which also hosts the AF Acadamy they may not have on unit housing like a conventional AFB and alot of the detachments and units there look civilian to me as well.

Edit as far as the runway goes, given that there are already 2 AFB in close proximity it may not have the need esp given its space focus.

[edit on 2/28/09 by FredT]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I understand the proximity to the other bases (10 miles away), but I was hoping for a member of the Air Force (past or current) to explain why there might be some 3,200 vehicles parked here. Remote parking NOT being out of the question of course.

[edit on 2/28/09 by StonyJ]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
As for the runways, it started life as Falcon Air Force Station. An AFS doesn't always have runways there.

There are 4-6000 personnel at the base at any given time. Not all of the personnel that work there are stationed at the base. Some of them would be stationed at Peterson, or nearby. There also is off base housing to take into consideration. Shreiver only covers about 3800 acres.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

So no mystery here? Just an outpost for vehicles for personnel stationed at other locations, right? Remote parking of sorts. I'll accept that as a viable explanation.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by StonyJ
reply to post by Zaphod58

So no mystery here? Just an outpost for vehicles for personnel stationed at other locations, right? Remote parking of sorts. I'll accept that as a viable explanation.

Try googling for Rudolf Schriever.

While the base isn't actually named after Rudolf Schriever, who knows!

new topics

top topics

join