It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extending the Presidential Term of Office

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I would like to see one 6 to 8 year term for president. Get rid of ALL RE-elections for ALL elected officials. If you get elected again later, fine, but no serving 2 terms in a row. Some type of recall option for all elected positions. Enforced hard caps on campaign money.

Because the media is very closely linked with our system of elections, they should also have some limits. Media MUST give EACH candidate equal airtime. They should get into BIG trouble for doing the type of crap they did to Ron Paul, etc. during this last election.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snap
I would like to see one 6 to 8 year term for president. Get rid of ALL RE-elections for ALL elected officials. If you get elected again later, fine, but no serving 2 terms in a row.

I was about to suggest the same thing. One six-year term, no re-election. Once you are in, focus on doing the job to the best of your ability, rather than saving controversial proposals for the second term and spending a year and a half of your first term campaigning for re-election.

I also think that some decent Presidents have been voted out after four years just because the Economy tanked in their fourth year, and some bad Presidents have been re-elected because the economy strengthened in his fourth year (or people overly-scared of terrorists). The economy goes into recessions sometimes, by no fault of the President. It's the business-cycle.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join