It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America: Take the Needle (Government) Out of Your Arm!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I found the poll numbers in this video quite contradictory..and disturbing.

I can't believe this many people think these things are owed to them.

Yes almost 3 out of 4 think other people are defending on the government too much?

Odd to say the least.

[edit on 28-2-2009 by David9176]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It doesn't surprise me in the least that Americans feel the government is responsible for their needs.

I was very active in an organized church for many years and out of 300 regular attendees at services only about a dozen people did all the actual physical work. The others sat on their butts and and enjoyed our work.

This is common in many organizations other than religious also.

The poll that says a large majority of us think the feds have too much control include those receiving government goodies and we that don't. Once the government has you on a give away program they own you.

I am speaking of welfare recipients. Many of them feel it is inconvenient that they must fill out papers regularly and prove their plight.

Our society is basically a 'let someone else do it' type.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Although I a not a BIG fan of this cat, the poll numbers that he wuotes are interesting. I'm curious, does anyone kow who conducted these polls that he's using? I didn't notice if it said that anywhere.

While I do not believe that Americans should rely on the government too much, I also believe that since it is the 21st. century, and compared to most other western industrialized nations, ours is falling behind.

For example;
I do believe that access to affordable health are is something that shuld be a right. It is the 21st. century and there's only 1 reason that more than 50 million dn't have any health insurance..... GREED. Greed on behaf of the entire system, from the pharma companies all the way down to the doctor who works 3 days a week and has a handful of mcmansions to park his ferrari in.

Housing, really, is there any reason that wehave people living under bridges and in cardboard boxes by the overpass? I just think that we should be better than that.

Now, we could go back and forth about the roll of government, big versus small, et cetera, but te fact remains that we are not a very elightened society, and since we are a consumer based economy, the bottom line is greed in one form or another I think.

Personally I don' think that the federal government sould have any involvement with the individual, but as a society, I think we are still operating on a 19th and 20th century perspectives with regards to the "haves and have not's"

I think it reflects very poorly on us as a nation when senior citizens are having to choose between eating or having medication, where veteranswho fought for this country are living in a box under the overpass, other examples of our lapses of social conscience as a whole.

-peace

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Sounds to me like American people are confused. I have no problem with the government helping the helpless but when the clueless get a hand out theres a problem.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by uaocteaou

I'm quite curious as to what you suggest to remedy this "greed" problem? You say government should not play a role; so what kind of tool of social engineering do you suggest?

I don't agree with your premises, but how is it even possible to fix societal issues like you mentioned with infringing on the rights of individual?

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I have a joke. How many Libertarians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Answer: Only one, because if they join in to help, they're all --paranoid-- that each other are plotting to screw over one another!

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I don't claim to have an answer, and why does the government always have to be it.
What I'm saying is that in a nation such as the USA, to have senior citizens having to chose between food or medication is more than a shame, and for veterans of our wars, right or wrong, to be homeless, living in their cars, that too is a shame, a shame on us all. This is america for petes sake, te 21st. century. the 21st. Century. In the USA!

You don't see anything absurdly wrong with this?

I don't have the answer dude, never professed to, but it makes each and every one of us appear so self absorbed that we should feel shame for it, but as americans, we have no shame.

Situations like the ones I list above are not unusual nor far fetched, this junk happens all the time.

We, as americans, as AMERICANS, in the 21st. century, should never allow for things like that to happen, and if it does, we should all have an interest in making sure that is doesn't happen again.

But we don't. we don't care, as long as we have our x-boxes, our i-pods and our pay-per-view.

That is, unless it's YOUR grandparent, YOUR veteran Brother. We hav all let each other down, we have all let ourselves down.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Tgreen2103, I agree about when "the clueless get a handout". The "clueless" are wealthy CEOs who 'Killed The Electric Car', then, when their auto industries start to fail, they fly to Washington with hat-in-hand, on private --jets-- ! B****rds!

[edit on 1-3-2009 by simonecharisse]

new topics

top topics

join