It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SAS survival guide GET IT

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
excellent tool , every thing from orienteering , wound dressing, food gathering , shelter building, cammo , much more good book I have one

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Agreed. Great book. I have the "mini" pocket book.

LOADED with great, easy to understand material.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Well said OpusMarkII, a star post for sure!

I have read a lot of books on this topic, and if I could only choose one to have on me in a survival situation, it would be this book.

Do yourself a favour, go get it out at your local library, then go and buy the pocket sized one for your bob.

Happy surviving...

Tim

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I really should invest in the pocket version it's always good to have a back up

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I was just looking on amazon. Which one is recommended. SAS survival guide/SAS survival handbook. there were a couple of other options. Just looking for some clarification.

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by amazing

Three words,

John

"Lofty"

Wiseman

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Best book i have ever owned!! i have both the white pocket sized one and the large black/orange one.... a must for anyone no matter what your skill level is you will all ways learn something!

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by OpusMarkII

Are you guys only recommending SAS Survival Guide by John "Lofty" Wiseman? SAS Survival Guide

OR

Do you also recommend these SAS Survival Guides?

- SAS Desert Survival
- SAS Mountain & Artic Survival
- SAS Jungle Survival

I would like to know if these 3 survival guides are just as good as the first book recommended.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Have not just one, but THREE! 2 of the pocket sized and 1 full sized paperback. This is the survival bible!

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Great book. I have two. One for the library and the other inside my BOB. The plants and 'edibles' section is great for emergency situations.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
There seems to be several BTW including

Urban Survival
mental Endurance
Combat handbook
Tracking and navigation

fyi

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
This book gives a nod to nuclear, chem, bio weapons fallout survival. Even touches on some info for what to do in case of a crash, stranded at sea, and natural disasters. I have this book in my home survival libarary, but it isnt the one I go to when Im looking for back up knowledge on outdoor survival. The actual practical survival skills outlined in the SAS John "Lofty" book are mostly redundant, you can find the exact same ideas, and even pics of ideas, in MANY other survival books.

Not that it's not good for your novice survivalist, but I find its lacking in any innovation by not exploring beyond the 'normal' figure four and deadfall traps. Or a ton of other tecniques that are repeated in most survival handbooks.

If your looking for a good supplement for your copy of SAS, I would suggest the US ARMY Survival Handbook by the Department of the Army, and the New and Revised Practical Outdoor Survival-A Modern Approach to Staying Alive in the Wilderness by Len McDougall.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by treemanx

Thanks for the tip. I think I saw US Army Survival Guide at my local bookstore.

But I would also get the SAS book too. Why because it comes in pocket sized version which you can fit in your BOB. Plus, it's best to use more than resource. Like have the US Army at home to read and the SAS to bring when you try out the techniques.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by guppy]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Yeah, that book is great ... thank you majesty

The pocket version is ideal for my BOB but I find it is a bit too general. I put a few photocopied parts of other "local" survival guide, mostly for the images of edible plants and animals.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I have a whole library of these and others and they're great.

What I really want though is a book with info on par but in a waterproof/tough sort of format. Kind of like those kids books that are tear proof and waterproof and can just be balled up and thrown around.

Anybody know of one like that?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Ok I'm trusting you guys. Just ordered the SAS Survival Handbook by Lofty from halfdotcom! That combined with my USA Army handbook and a couple of home medical books should give me as much chance as the next guy. Building up my home library is one of my top priorities.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
i got SAS, and also Ediable plants of north america, has some amazeing stuff u can eat, like i didnt know i can make flour outa cattail insides. SAS,and ediable plants of north america im set!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
This thread just reminded me that I have it. I bought it a while back and read quite a bit of it and was extremely impressed. Then life took over and I forgot about it.

I'm going to finish reading it now, and even go over bits again. It's an awesome book.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Hello All,
Sorry if ive missed the address (if anyone had put it up) but im looking to get the books mentioned here in the "pocket size".
Does anyone know where the best place to get them ..(not e**y)?
What are the best ones to have?
Any idea of cost?

thanks in advance

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join