It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jindal Admits Katrina Story Was False

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
grover, I have a different take on this: Americans can no longer recognize hyperbole, embellishment, the tall tale, the yarn. All is to be taken literally.

When I was a child, I was taught that George Washington chopped down a cherry tree and said, "I cannot tell a lie!" I never wanted to tell a lie either, because I was given an example of an American heroic figure. American culture abounds with stories of Paul Bunyan, the embellishment of Johnny Appleseed, etc., myths to bring out the best in a person, a nation.

Tall tales have been used by a wide range of Americans, from parents to politicians, to teach lessons using the powerful symbolism of myth. We used to be able to understand the message contained in a tall tale, knowing the story wasn't true but the message was a good one.
The first inkling that I got of the nation's inability to understand any underlying message was in 2000, when Al Gore was excoriated for "lying", when he used the tale, the embellishment, of his mother-in-law paying more for her medication than the same med for his dog. What Jindal said was the same type of embellishment to tell a larger story, as Gore did.

By the time Colin Powell went before the United Nations and held up a vial of white powder and showed computer graphics showing Iraqi supposed acts, we did not consider this as embellishment but as unembellished truth. Even though we were shown pictures of Saddam brandishing a long rifle or sword, pictures of an Iraqi rocket on a donkey cart, we had by then been so sold on the myth of Saddam, we failed to notice that it was a story.

Used to be when good old Southern (or Northern) boys told their stories, we knew what they meant. We never said they "lied", unless they really did lie, and then there was H-E-LL to pay.

Seems like up until the late 1970's, we were pretty good at interpreting tales, then for some reason, we began to be told to take stories literally, as fact, no matter if they go against science, for example. (Or do I lay this at the feet of those who would deny a child the myth of Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny?) We became literalists, fundamentalists, which made it easier to swallow political myths spun from Washington. Without being able to get past the literal to an interpretation, we simply call "lie!" instead of calling "myth!" and looking for the underlying meaning.

Refusing to understand, that humans can have a way of thinking in non-literal terms to get across an idea, paves the way for abuse by those who would deceive us with myths. We're bound to believe every story as true, if we're told there is no such thing as myth.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by FredT

The more you enforce a uniformity of opinion the less talent you attract until all you get are those who agree with you...

Oh the irony... where to start ...

Maybe you should try preaching that to the members of your own party who want to re-ignite the Fairness Doctrine and don't want to take no for an answer?

Or how about anyone who questioned Obama during the campaign with a real political question or had even slight criticism for Obama suddenly found themselves labeled a racist? Joe the Plumber asked a legitimate question but because it was a real political question that dripped of criticism, the Obama political machine sought to destroy his life. That is a proven fact.

Or how about the fact that any African American who planned to not vote for Obama this last election was considered a traitor to his or her race?

I fail to see how you can sit there and make rash generalizations about the Republicans all the while ignoring the things your very own Democrats did just a very few months ago. :shk:

Your party is no group of saints and neither is your president. I'll thank you to stop acting like the Republicans are the bad guys and the Democrats are the good guys because you're only fooling yourself if that's what you really believe. They are all the same at this point. And if you haven't figured that out yet then there's no hope for enlightening people like you.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
This is one of the rising stars within the GOP? Wow, they really have scraped bottom barrel.

Its really time for the GOP to be split IMHO. Conservative, both ultra and neo should move off to for thier own party based on their John Birch core values and leave the party of Lincoln to regain its soul.

The "Party Of Lincoln" has its soul in Conservatism, so if Conservatives simply "Move Off", as you suggest, then it will no longer in fact be the "Party Of Lincoln".

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I said the Conservatives are losing credibility. I don't consider Jindal a Conservative. He's a Republican like Bush, Palin and the rest. He's one of the people who is ruining the credibility of true Conservatives.

If anything, Governor Palin is a true Conservative, with Non-Beltway tendencies, and that is EXACTLY what the Conservative Movement needs in terms of Washington Representation. Folks can bash her all they want for her "Inexperience", but I have to say that I find her and Governor Jindal refreshing to say the least.

Look at how long we have elected so called Articulate and Experienced Politicians, and honestly, where have they gotten us?

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

There has never been enforced unity in the Democratic party... indeed the tensions between the different groups in it are constantly threatening to pull it apart and indeed it is that tension that keeps us vibrant... there has been nothing from the liberals like the enforced doctrinare approach on the right.

Those of you on the right are masters of projection... from what I have ever seen whatenver you guys are loudly condemning us on the left of... you yourselves are far more guilty of.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Hoo, boy, ain't that the truth.
This lock step mentality has lead to Republicans in California, who sided with Democrats to pass the state budget, being punished.

(T)he California Republican Party approved a measure to deny campaign funding for the six GOP lawmakers who voted for the largest tax increase in state history.

source

On a national level, moderate Republicans did not speak up when they saw their beloved party being taken over by the far, far right. To paraphrase, the only thing necessary for the triumph of totalitarianism is for good men to do nothing.
Who remains in power in Washington are those so far to the right, that anyone to their left is an "evil liberal". There are people we, of a certain age, saw labeled as "kooks", who would be harmless in their views with a balance of intellectual discourse, but are now allowed to shout their hard right lines as if that was "correct thinking". Chaiman Mao would approve!!

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

reply to post by sos37

There has never been enforced unity in the Democratic party... indeed the tensions between the different groups in it are constantly threatening to pull it apart and indeed it is that tension that keeps us vibrant... there has been nothing from the liberals like the enforced doctrinare approach on the right.

Those of you on the right are masters of projection... from what I have ever seen whatenver you guys are loudly condemning us on the left of... you yourselves are far more guilty of.

Like what for example? Paying taxes perhaps? Lots of Democrats are being spotlighted lately because they believed they were immune to tax laws and didn't need to fork over the tax dollars until they were up for a spot in office and knew they were going to be vetted. Can you say Geithner, Daschle, Ron Kirk?

Or how about appointing a tax dodger to the position of overseeing the nation's taxes like Obama did with Geithner?

Now that we're on the subject, how about Obama promising there would be no lobbyists in his office, yet there seem to be nothing BUT lobbyists?

What about his promise to keep earmarks out of the stimulus plan? The plan that was plan contained over 9,000 earmarks!

You really want to go down this road, Grover? Your joke of a president and Congress has given this country nothing but fodder to shake our heads at since they took office and it's only been a little over a month. By 2012, if things keep up the way they are going now, this country will be ready to cast off Barack Obama as the "Great Liar" and bring in the next shill.

Again I say your Democratic party is JUST as guilty as the Republican party on ALL levels. Your blind ignorance to that fact is astounding and just plain sad.

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   

reply to post by sos37

Dude this isn't about left or right anymore. Your insistence on making about that is both petty and non-productive. A rationale person would admit that both parties have had a hand in where the country is at now.

But it's not about blame. The country and economy is falling apart and you want to point fingers. I could care less which party fixes it. But supporting Obama because you both have a 'D' before your name, or ripping on conservatives because they have an 'R' is petty and immature.

If you really think Obama's plan will fix this economy, thats 100% fine. But that also means that if it doesn't you need to admit you were wrong. You agree to those terms?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnny2127
Dude this isn't about left or right anymore. Your insistence on making about that is both petty and non-productive. A rationale person would admit that both parties have had a hand in where the country is at now.

But it's not about blame. The country and economy is falling apart and you want to point fingers. I could care less which party fixes it. But supporting Obama because you both have a 'D' before your name, or ripping on conservatives because they have an 'R' is petty and immature.

If you have read most of my posts I have said the exact same thing... I was writing a response and while I agree both parties are to blame... the right has consistantly pushed the agenda that has gotten us into this mess... and there were most certainly Democratic collabrators but the agenda was the right's.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I think Jindal's point in the telling the story was to emphasize the Republicn position that government--all government--is bad. He made his point. It's too bad he had to stretch the truth to make the point, but as so many have already said, that is what politicians do.

I admire Hillary Clinton in spite of her exaggeration that she was under fire at a time when she was not. She did later clarify. I still think she'll make a great Secretary of State.

I do not admire Jindal because I do not agree with his take on most things, and I thought his speech was just awful. But, especially since he admitted it, I have to forgive him for stretching the truth also.

But why couldn't he find a real example of government incompetence? There was plenty of that during Katrina.

<< 1  2   >>

join