It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Lobbyists: "I am ready to fight."

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Obama to Lobbyists: "I am ready to fight."

www.huffingtonpost.com

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama challenged the nation's vested interests to a legislative duel Saturday, saying he will fight to change health care, energy and education in dramatic ways that will upset the status quo.

"The system we have now might work for the powerful and well-connected interests that have run Washington for far too long," Obama said in his weekly radio and video address. "But I don't. I work for the American people."

He said his ambitious budget plan, unveiled Thursday, will help millions of Americans, but only if Congress overcomes resistance from deep-pocket lobbies.

"I know these steps won't sit well with the special interests and lobbyists who are invested in the old way of doing business, and I know they're gearing up for a fight," Obama said, using tough-guy language reminiscent of his predecessor, George W. Bush. "My message to them is this: So am I."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
GOOD!!!

One of the greatest travesties of the bush minor years was the Republican congress allowing lobbyists behind closed doors with them to write laws effecting them... case in point the statute in Medicare plan D aka the prescription drug plan... forbidding the government from negoitating for lower drug prices like the VA administration... a blatant give away for the drug companies and not in the best interests of the people at all.

Lobbyists should as a matter of free speech be allowed to advocate for their clients but that is all... they shouldn't even be allowed to donate money for campaigns.

All that crap should stop... and despite all the hard right's howlings about Obama he really does seem to be interested doing the right thing by the people... not just the wealthy.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
you MUST be kidding me
this dude scares me to say the least

he wants to build a even more massive military empire
that's for the people?
Please!

Ron Paul makes a great comment here yesterday, saying that its not that Obama wants to leave Iraq, no actually he wants to expand into the entire middle east.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
All politicans scare me but unlike the late and unlamented conservatives he actually seems concerned about the nation.

Whether he is or not remains to be seen.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

no it doesn't remain to be seen
we see very much which direction he is taking and it's not good

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Your opinion but not everyone's by a large margin if the polls are to be believed.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

the polls are probably true wherein the majority are the uninformed

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Ron Paul makes a great comment here yesterday, saying that its not that Obama wants to leave Iraq, no actually he wants to expand into the entire middle east.

Ron Paul, IMO, would be one of the greatest Presidents this country has ever had....if only we could get him elected.

True honesty...i can't think of any politicians who have it. He always sticks to what he believes in.

You always get what you see with RP.

You can't say that for much anyone else...and that includes Obama.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
You would be surprised. Despite the hard right's description of Obama supporters as drinking kool aid... a lot of people paid close attention to this election and did their homework.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
You would be surprised. Despite the hard right's description of Obama supporters as drinking kool aid... a lot of people paid close attention to this election and did their homework.

Yes they did all pay attention to the POSITIVE points of Obama.

And anytime you would debate with them intelligently they would angry and say "HEY GIVE HIM A CHANCE" or something like that.

No opinions nothing, people said great he wants universal healthcare under a fiat currency. Even his positive points they didn't understand fully.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Exactly! though to be honest, very few negative points were presented for them to consider. both parties agreed to not mention the secrecy that surrounds his entire past including his activities in Chicago so he could campaign on hope. he has no real life experience, apparently no understanding of real life consequences of his actions. he somehow attended the most elite schools from prep school on. Most of us can't afford these schools. we don't know how he did. he had a very limited law practice and very limited experience as a state senator. virtually no experience in Washington so there was nothing to examine. I too had the experience of people saying GIVE HIM A CHANCE. Everything he says sounds like one thing but means another.

He is definitely working for some group of americans rather than the obvious rich elite but i don't know which group it is he's working for. not the group I'm in. health care reform would be a big help but his approach so far has been to make massive changes, not allow examination or discussion of them, insist it's an emergency so it must be rushed through, accuse anybody who questions of being obstructionist and probably racist.

what group of americans is he working for?

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
if he keeps fighting for american people and against big money lobby groups he will end up like JFK. You cant upset the satus quo like that.

IF he really does what he says great, but im not holding my breath, wonder how this will affect the most powerful lobby group of all, AIPAC. I bet they will still get their way.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by turbokid

the current government is cooperating with lobbyists about individual interests at this time. what is it obama said he would do that is in fact happening?

I can understand the desire to crash the system in hopes that from the rubble something new and better will emerge. Is that what you are hoping for?

If the system doesn't crash, it will have been turned into government control of this country. rather like china. i know that many people including those in office admire china for its growth but it's not so great for the citizens. is goverment control of industry as well as education and health care your vision for the future?

i agree that we need drastic changes. i just don't think government running everything is apt to help anyone EXCEPT those in government, which is why they find it so appealing.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
why part of my post led you to believe i hope for the system to crash? or that i want government control of education and health care???

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

One of the greatest travesties of the bush minor years was the Republican congress allowing lobbyists behind closed doors with them to write laws effecting them... case in point the statute in Medicare plan D aka the prescription drug plan... forbidding the government from negoitating for lower drug prices like the VA administration... a blatant give away for the drug companies and not in the best interests of the people at all.

Yes, that giveaway is a travesty.

My husband checked out all the part D insurance plans available, and there are many of them, and did the math.

He figures that when the Medicare recipient finishes paying for their insurance plan and all the deductibles, he or she ends up with about $100 a month (or $1,200 a year) in drug benefits, no matter which plan is selected.

The insurance companies and the drug companies are making out like bandits. The pharmaceutical companies have absolutely no incentives to lower their prices, so they just charge more and more and the Medicare recipients get less and less for their money.

This could have been done much more efficiently and effectively and cheaply if the government administered the program directly and not made the recipients have to go through the insurance companies instead.

But they did it the Republican way.

Obama's got a hard row to hoe, but if anyone can make a dent in the special interests, he can.

[edit on 28-2-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Kinda odd he didn't have the same view as a Senator.

Just a bunch of BS IMO. Kinda funny Congress is meeting with healthcare lobbyist behind closed doors right now.

Last week, The New York Times reported that Senator Ted Kennedy has been holding secret meetings with lobbyists to reach "consensus" on a proposal for national health care reform. Included in the list of participants were America's Health Insurance Plans, the National Federation of Independent Business, and the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America -- some of the same players who defeated the Clinton health care reform effort 15 years ago. Notably absent was Physicians for a National Health Program, the California Nurses Association, Healthcare-Now, and other advocacy groups that oppose the private insurance industry and support the creation of a national single-payer program.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Betcha Obama signs off on what the lobbyist propose.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Let's also forget that the CEO of GE (who owns NBC and it's substations including MSNBC) is an economic advisor.

GE has a huge stake in environmental things like windmills.

Nothing wrong with that though.

We'll let this one slide as well.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Wasn't Tom Daschle a highly paid "consultant" to some of the companies he would have been dealing with as Health Secretary? I do believe that the government can do a great deal to improve our health care situation, but not as long as lobbyists and consultants craft it. same with the other issues. perhaps obama intended to not let these folks have so much say but discovered that he owed too much for their support. brings up again the auto workers union. they brought huge support to the campaign and are being protected because of it. i do understand that that's the way washington works, but that's why one-sided deals are written.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
When Congress is open for business is also open to whore themselves to the pimps that walks the halls of the Capitol, the lobbyist.

This highly pay ex mostly politicians and many of them lawyers, are the ones that write most of the policies and bills that are passed in congress with not even any senator of house representative even reading the paperwork before voting.

They have ruled in full force in Capitol hill since Reagan opened the doors for them due to the oversights.

Is good to see at least somebody taking this powerfull body of people for once.

The reason our nation is down the hill and the politicians does not listen to the people anymore is because they put big interest first.

I hope that this is not some good speech to make people feel warm and cozy and some action will follows.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Yes they did all pay attention to the POSITIVE points of Obama.

And anytime you would debate with them intelligently they would angry and say "HEY GIVE HIM A CHANCE" or something like that.

Wait..Wait a second...there were folks willing to "intelligently" debate Obama's candidacy? I was on here a lot during the election...did I miss it?

All I saw was Obama the Anti-Christ and Obama the Muslim Manchurian secret marxist blah blah blah...and when someone retorted with facts and evidence...more of the same "he's scary" and "big ears"...

Really...where was this attempt at intelligent discourse by conservatives that Obama supporters were running from?

In fairness...I can count them on one hand and know them well...there are a few that made their anti-obama case with intelligence and reason..but to claim what you are claiming above is a big..big..reach.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join