It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shop Damn it, Shop!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

(Reuters) - The global recession manifests itself in big and small ways, most gloomy, some quirky and often reflecting the inventive human spirit. Here is a look at some signs of the times.

* The crisis has brought a disastrous holiday season for many retailers, who depend on the frenzy to buy Christmas presents to push them into the black for the year. For its window display, a shop in London adapted a classic World War One recruiting poster in which a steely-eyed mustachioed general points at passers-by above the words "Your Country Needs You." The new admonishment is: "Shop, Damn It, SHOP."

www.reuters.com...

Yes, it is your patriotic duty! Need to spend those hard earned dollars at the whim of the government, because you need to help out the economy.
-end sarcasm-

Honestly though people are not spending any more and it will only get worse for businesses as the year goes on. I hope they find a way to survive.

[edit on 28-2-2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I just spent $500 on ammunition.

Just doing my part.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Just doing my part.

If you go to Academy, you can "Borrow" the ammo, wink wink.
post.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Yes keep spending the money you don't own.
So they can steal it back through the markets.
Let them keep cheating you out of a whole lifetime.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by BorgHoffen

Don't forget your kid's lives! They've been indebted for their whole lives!
outraged post.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I spent $150 on groceries yesterday. That was my part. Have to go today and buy dog food and T. paper so theres another $30. But if they think I am going to go into debt to buy a new car, or even a new TV, they have another thing coming to them.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

I shop, for food and survival goods, I will leave all that "expensive goods" shopping to others!

Forget electronics, and luxury items, so I definitely do my part, when I am buying flour and canned goods, besides shampoo - soap etc. in quanitites to last a very LONG time!

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
yea shop its your duty, its your duty to have debt.....so max out your credit cards!

[edit on 28-2-2009 by nibirusight]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Just doing my part.

My first and only ATS one line post:

Oh - wait....

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Great sign - I think it may have been intentionally a little tongue-in-cheek, though.

I've too have been spending more - on bulk groceries rather than smaller ad-hoc purchases. Saves so much money, and breaks the habit of day-to-day spending. Essential to a budget, I find, is to establish regular 'shopping days' for necessities.

I was appalled listening to Obama's speech the other week, when he was talking about how we need to re-establish credit, take action to allow banks to give credit, encourage people to use credit. The problem was, I made a little substitution when listening: "CREDIT" -> "DEBT". Because that's really what it's talking about - enabling people and smaller businesses to spend money they don't have. So he was basically saying "we need to encourage more consumer debt", "banks can no longer create debt, we must solve this". Guess why the banks are having trouble creating debt? The consumer well is going dry.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Increasing worldwide debt is the only way the banking cartel/corporation can survive.
Interest based fiat currency should be declared illegal, if it doesn't implode first...

We've reached the point where we've spent all we currently have/had and borrowed against all our future earnings...in fact we're working on our future generations earning at this point...

"Yes Pinky...the Master Plan is coming along nicely..."

[edit on 2/28/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I'm doing my part. I spent $50+ at the Dollar Store last week for my SHTF stash and bug out bags. I buy a few more food and survival items each week. Does buying silver count?

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Good to see everyone is getting ready!

I made an embarrassing purchase of: Ammo, duct tape and rope today.

"I Swear officer Im not trying to hurt anyone!!"

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
My telly broke a few days ago, I bought a 50 inch FS, Im doin my part.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
ammo and reloading supplies for me...plus I bought some silver

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Its like clockwork for me, every other paycheck gets a portion siphoned into supplies, and so far things are shaping up quite nicely. Hopefully I can hit up the seed shops soon and load up on stuff to seal and pack away as well.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

You know tenticles I was talking to a much older friend of mine who's mother and father where those types who helped people in the depression due to having a 500 acre ranch in Northern California.( he was a young teen at the time)
I asked him about what he thought as he is heavily invested in this country (USA) and it's markets. His answer was that until people got over their own instilled fear of the inevitable and started to spend money again we are stuck. "Sometimes the simplest cure is the hardest to see."
We don't need a bank or financial institution to tell us what to do. We all ready know the answer we just have to move past our fears and do something.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Shop, shop and do more shopping but our government is forgetting something.

That the money that you spend is not going ot boost anybodies pockets in the US, that money is going to boost the ailing exports from China and to the China economy.

I guess somebody actually thinks that Americans are that dumb and stupid.

If anybody wants to really boost Americas left over industries you will have to made sure than every penny you spend on a purchase have a label that say may in America..

If you don't then you are throwing your money into China and our Asian trade partners.

They sure are scramming SHOP DAMN IT, SHOP to the American consumers.

[edit on 28-2-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

opps i forgot the buy local part

two stinking lines of embarrassment teehehe

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

Since I live in the suburbs and there arnt any local shops around me I really wish I could do this but alass I can not.

Make sure you goto different chains of super markets to get the best deals A little more gas but it's worth it in the long run.

I bought 10 separate apple juice and ragu pasta sauce at randalls two, three days ago for .99c each! I am very proud of myself for finding such a good steal!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join