It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: US Soldier Confirmed Taken Hostage in Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Private 1st Class Keith Maupin, age 20, is one of two missing soldiers after last week's attack on a fuel convoy near Baghdad. Al Jazeera has aired a video showing an American soldier surrounded by heavily armed individuals. The soldier identified himself as Keith Matthew Maupin of Batavia, Ohio.

WashingtonTimes.com

"My name is Keith Matthew Maupin. I am a soldier from the 1st Division. I am married with a 10-month-old child. I came to liberate Iraq, but I did not come willingly because I wanted to stay with my child."

Pvt. Maupin is shown alive on the tape and seemingly uninjured. His captors all have their faces covered with keffiyeh and hold automatic weapons near his head. His captors do not directly threaten him on the tape and offer to trade Maupin for an "Iraqi POW."
"We are keeping him to be exchanged with some of the prisoners captured by the occupation forces," one of the captors said. "Some of our groups managed to capture one of the American soldiers and he is one of many others."
The speaker indicates Maupin is being treated "...according to the treatment of prisoners in the Islamic religion and he is in good health."

Al Jazeera obtained the video tape on Thursday from an unidentified guerrilla group and turned a copy of it over to the American Embassy in Qatar just hours ago.

Maupin's family has been notified. He has a wife and a 10-month old baby at home. He is part of the Army Reserve's 724th Transportation Company based in Illinois.

Friends, family and Batavia community members are gathering Friday night at the Clermont County Courthouse to hold a vigil for Pfc. Maupin.

Earlier today, one Canadian, one Chinese and three Czech hostages were released by their captors, while civilians from the UAE and Denmark were captured. At least 17 hostages total are still being held, according to unofficial counts.

Related Stories:
Sky.com
Reuters

Related ATSNN Stories:
11 Russians Kidnapped in Baghdad Area
Seven Chinese Added to Hostage Count in Iraq
Insurgents Threaten to Mutilate Hostage
American and Italian Civilians Reported Captured in Iraq
Japanese, British, Canadian, South Korean & Israeli Civilians Held Hostage in Iraq
Japan and S. Korea Vow to Keep Troops in Iraq
Shi'ite Militant Group Takes Hostages in Iraq

[Edited on 18-4-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This is a Sad Day indeed. he knows his fate i wish him peace of mind along his travel. they want a POW for him but they havent given back any US POW's from what i know so far.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The CIA should make sure that the U.N. bank, BNP Paribas, is not using AXA life-insurance contracts to launder money and reward hostage takers after they have killed their captives.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
You never know, they might go in and get him like with Mrs. Lynch.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Only he isn't in an unguarded hospital with doctors leading troops to him. This would be a rather different scenario to young miss lynch.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I think it's time to send a message to Iraq, Iran and Syria. Pull our guys out of there, then nuke Iraq. The tell Iran and Syria, if you want a piece, let us know.

Then we impeach Bush and Not elect Kerry, and make it a GOVT OF, BY and FOR the PEOPLE. Put someone in there that can actually keep OUR country on their mind rather than WAR IN OTHER COUNTRIES on their mind.

This guy has likely never even seen his 10 month old kid.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
Only he isn't in an unguarded hospital with doctors leading troops to him. This would be a rather different scenario to young miss lynch.

Wow, I was unaware it was that easy for them. I really never looked in to it. I took it for what I thought it was.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I feel sorry for a soldier trapped in Iraq to save on the price it takes me to fill up my gas tank, geez I don't need the savings that bad.

But in a way I see it, he joined the army, and it was his choice, so I don't feel too sorry.....

Don't give me any of that "they are fighting for you crap" because the only thing they are fighting for is NOTHING

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Wow, I was unaware it was that easy for them. I really never looked in to it. I took it for what I thought it was.

You've got to be kidding right? It was a staged event and she was used by the Pentagon for propaganda, even she herself said this.

Do a search man, you'll find loads on it. I don't think anyone really disputes it was a bit over dramatic and staged.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NEODI
But in a way I see it, he joined the army, and it was his choice, so I don't feel too sorry.....

It was his choice to join the military to p[rotect his country. It was NOT his choice to walk into another country to make the president look good only to have it backfire. Being in Iraq was not this mans choice, it was Bush's choice, and a bad choice at that.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImAlreadyPsycho

Originally posted by NEODI

It was his choice to join the military to p[rotect his country. It was NOT his choice to walk into another country to make the president look good only to have it backfire. Being in Iraq was not this mans choice, it was Bush's choice, and a bad choice at that.

Actually you are right, excuse my ignorance, but I take that back, and it was Bush's choice mostly, oh well, I hate bush as always, hope the soldier gets out, I'm sure he won't thank Bush for any of this. But still, I wouldn't join the army because it's risky obviously and death is a chance, no matter how peacefull the world is. And the way I see it, there is nothing ever woth fighting for, the last war that was worth it was ww2, anything past that is stupid and pointless.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
How can you all say we are fighting for nothing .. Yes losing our young men and women to what seems like nonsense is tragic and I feel for these people and their families. At the same time I am greatful for the security these soldiers provide for me .. It was only a matter of time before Sadaam done something equal to if not worse than what Bin Laden was able to do to us with our own planes and on US soil .. I think at least we were able to bring Sadaam down before he was able to do something horrible to us .. I feel like Osama and Sadaam our in conspiracy against Americans together and I for one am greatful we were able to capture at least on of them.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
all we can do is hope that ethier they reach a peacful arange ment or go rainbow six on thier asses
the first 1 is more faverouble
poor guy trapped,beaten up,locked up man that guy doesnt deserve to be held hostage

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I can understand a persons reasons for believing they are signing up to defend their country, so I can understand where you're coming from. However I have said this before and I'll say this again...

Anyone ignorant enough to sign up to the armed forces after what happened in vietnam does not deserve my sympathy. From then on it was obvious that the government did not give a crap about it's soldiers and that they were no longer there to defend, but as a disposable instrument of power.
I'm not being cruel here and I kind of feel sorry for the guy as it's a situation no one would want to be in, but I'm just being logical and he put himself there, indirectly at least.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Good point John Nada. I'll give you that one. However, you still have to see the honor in that there are still people out there willing to join and fight for our freedom.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Good point John Nada. I'll give you that one. However, you still have to see the honor in that there are still people out there willing to join and fight for our freedom.

I'm sure there a few there for that reason. However, there are alot that are also just trigger happy morons who just want to see some action. I actually have a friend who wants to join the marines so he can "kill some towel heads". So if the "towel heads" caught him, he'd have it coming. No sympathy. It's really scary that alot of people out there have this attitude.

Yes, we don't know which category this soldier falls in to, but then I see my earlier point to not really think about that. Sorry if that sounds cold but hey...

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Hey!!! It's a war.

It happens.

I'm sorry if I don't get my tissues out.I know I wish I had the monopoly on Yellow Ribbons in the US.

This is the consequence of the US foreign policy.People die.10 to 1 you're more likely to die if you are an Iraqi.

Thank your lucky stars you're not an Iraqi,they didn't sign up!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Originally posted by Kano

And welcome to ATS you will find out that a lot of what the media, government, hell even what your parents told you is not true!!!

But to respond to this news thread. I am really feeling sorry for that solider. And what really makes my blood boil is that Bush had the nerve to get on that Aircraft Carrier and say that the War was over!!!!!
And more than 75% of the IGNORANT, DUMB, MISINFORMED AND DISILLOUSINED public believed it!!!!! I hope bush does get elected again so he can drive the idiot that elected him in the first place further into denial. "The Iraqi's love us!!! They are dancing in the streets!!! They want freedom!!!" Excuse me while I throw up

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
PLUS

I saw this today on FOX News.

When are we gonna follow up the "shock-and-awe", with a can of good ol' fashioned American "WHoop A$$"?

BTW-

I agree with "ImAlreadyPsycho".

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada

I can understand a persons reasons for believing they are signing up to defend their country, so I can understand where you're coming from. However I have said this before and I'll say this again...

Anyone ignorant enough to sign up to the armed forces after what happened in vietnam does not deserve my sympathy. From then on it was obvious that the government did not give a crap about it's soldiers and that they were no longer there to defend, but as a disposable instrument of power.
I'm not being cruel here and I kind of feel sorry for the guy as it's a situation no one would want to be in, but I'm just being logical and he put himself there, indirectly at least.

You took the words out of my mouth. The guy has a girl that loves him, and they probobly had plans for a kid, why the # would he join the army? I'd rather commit suicide and not have to go through their basic training, and get it over with sooner.

Also earlier I posted about an M1 tank exploit, and pissed off lots of board members because they were wetting their panties because they had their friends in Iraq commanding tanks. Well I think their friends aren't doing anything different in Iraq than the Nazies were when they were invading countries in WW2. They aren't helping anyone back home, and I for one think it's nice to have balance all the time, what if USA was finally the ruller of the world, udesputed champion, what's next? Our own people? Things should be fair, no matter who the enemy is.

Our freedom? Are we fighting our own gov and trying to remove the patriot act? Because that's the only kind of freedom you really can fight for that's related to us. Complete BS. Yeah, lets fight for the freedom to drive SUVs without going bankrupt. That's an important one.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join