It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where and How did Jesus Die?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I know most of you think he died on the Cross right outside of Jerusalem, but are there any other theories, or evidence to suggest otherwise???

Perhaps the texts have it wrong?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by darcon

In the conservatory, with the candlestick.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

EOFL, darn, i guess i will never, know oh well :bnghd:

[edit on 27-2-2009 by darcon]

[edit on 27-2-2009 by darcon]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Remember he rose from the dead on the third day.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
reply to post by darcon

In the conservatory, with the candlestick.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

You forgot who did it - colonial mustard.

For OP: I once heard a story that said he didn't really die and that he escaped and lived in a cave. No idea if it's true or not, and it's not a topic I generally care about, as I don't think it of the most importance. In the end, all of history is a story so it's kind of impossible to know in such a detail, the morale of the story and the understandings behind them are the important parts, and that pretty much stays the same no matter which ending we get, even if it's the scooby doo ending.

But I have heard a story or 2 that made different claims. So they do exist, but obviously not generally accepted or very popular.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Found a site on the web that claims that Jesus died in Japan, and was buried there. Obviously most would find this unlikely, but the story is very interesting. If you are collecting stories, take a look; the link is:

tomb of Jesus in Japan

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Are there other theories? Yeah, plenty. There's Japan, India, Asia, that he just wandered off after fooling everyone into thinking they'd killed him, etc.

As to evidence, therein lies the problem with most of the theories. Well, all, really, that I've looked into.

Some of the strongest evidence for His death on Calvary and resurrection a few days later exists in what took place after. As you look at Roman, Jewish as well as Christian historians' accounts of the time, one thing cannot be refuted -- something happened to create some of the bravest or most pathetic people on the planet almost overnight. Brave in that torture and death held very little threat to the new sect of Judaism which would later be called Christianity.

Most of the original 11 Apostles spoken of in the Bible were killed because they were Christians. These were the people who were with Jesus for 3 and a half years. These were people who saw Him die and saw Him come back again. These were also people who were among the first to preach a message of salvation.

Rome would face people before executioners, torturers, or sometimes have their closest loved ones face those executioners and torturers. The way out was simple -- renounce Christ and bow before Caesar. None of them did. Peter is said to have refused to be crucified because he was not Christ and should not be honored in such a way, so not only did he refuse to renounce Christ, but chose to be crucified upside down.

Now, if these eye witnesses were lying about Jesus dying and coming back again, why in the world would they be willing to die for a lie? They would have to all have been atheists, too, because if they believed in a God, especially the Jewish God (which all of them were raised Jews), they would believe that that execution was only the beginning of their suffering on behalf of a lie.

There is a story of a man in either the 1800s or 1700s who was sentenced to torture and death unless he gave up his fellow conspirators. He died after anguishing torture that still has the world marveling, who was he trying to protect so fervently, or what threat could they have had over him to keep his silence in a way no one else ever had. Here we are, hundreds of years later, and people still ponder that, much like they do something like JFK's assassination. If one man's action along those lines was so absurd as to be marveled at over the course of hundreds of years, with no one else having done anything along those lines since, what do you think the chances are of 11 people mostly dying in the same way (it is said John the Apostle was boiled alive but did not die) all within about 40 years of one another, and all for a lie that, in their minds, had no eternal consequence?

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by darcon
I know most of you think he died on the Cross right outside of Jerusalem, but are there any other theories, or evidence to suggest otherwise???

Perhaps the texts have it wrong?

Jesus "died" before he went to the cross.
Jesus also "ressurected" before he went to the cross.
The cross and resurrection are teaching aids...parodies.
The cross is a set-up, getting to the resurrection.
How else would he show that death is meaningless, and powerless over the Son of God?
This is what he taught.
The death-resurrection sequence is how he "proved" it to those concerned.
Jesus said, "Lay down your life, that you may take it up again".
This he did before the cross-resurrection sequence.
What dies is the concept of personhood, and all that entails.
What rises is the "Truth"...the "Life"...the "Christ"...the true "Self".
In this way, Jesus died somewhere, sometime, between his debut out of the desert, and the cross.
His prayer in the garden of Gethsemane speaks more toward the laying down of the concept of personhood than it does of the miracles he was about to perform.
People are very unwilling to lay down personhood, and react to it as if they were being threatened with crucifixion.
But it is the only way to get to the "resurrection".
The resurrection occurs in the mind, independant of the body.
The body is a beneficiary of a new mental state of mind.
The body is eventually layed aside or otherwise made to disappear.
Note well: Jesus body is nowhere to be found, and is no longer seen in person.
It means that the resurrection eventually leads to the disappearance of the body altogether, as not wanted, not needed...because it limits what is unlimited: Spirit.
These days, they sell the concept of a changed personal life, instead of the ending of the concept of personhood.
Personhood is a lie which must die in order for the truth to live.
People have figured a way to keep the lie going by changing its attitude/behavior.
This is not the same as what Jesus was talking about..."lay down your life".
This is the greatest earthly love of all.
Otherwise, one is sacrificing the truth that a lie may keep on living.
Is that love?

Christ!

[edit on 8-3-2009 by Christ!]

join