It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family Fears Losing Suburban St. Louis Cave Home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Family Fears Losing Suburban St. Louis Cave Home

www.SFGate.com

That is, a cave that's also a home. Curt and Deborah Sleeper of Festus bought 3 acres of property and a cave in Festus in 2004, after they spotted it online. They fell in love with the unique geography of the old mining cave and figured out how to build a house inside of it.

But they've got a big payment coming due on the property and don't think they can afford it. If they can't secure new financing, they've got a backup plan — auctioning their cave home through eBay. Bidding starts at $300,000.

"I get the financing, or I sell the property, or I lose everything," Curt Sleeper, a self-employed Web designer and small business consultant, said Thursday while giving a tour of the home.

Missouri has its share of homes built into the geography — houses built into the ground or in a hillside. The Sleepers' home is unique even among them
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
sn.im

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Hard times have hit even cave dwellers. I'm sorry that they're going to lose their home, especially after all the challenges they must have faced in building it. Actually, I'm surprised they were even allowed a construction permit to build it in the first place, but the article doesn't mention any problems of that sort.

They're apparently going to auction the house off on ebay (link is posted under related news links, above). Given the current real estate market, I wish them the best.

www.SFGate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-2-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I"ve read about a few cave homes over the years. One was built by a man during the 80's as his live-in nuke shelter. I read about this one the other day. The question I have is still the same...

Who the hell is going to buy it?

I think it's far too 'unique' for most people, and if he's having problems making his payments, what makes him think someone else is going to come along now who will be able to and want the place at the same time?

Sad.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Quite a unique home, even for a cave home I would say!

Here's the link to the Ebay page where it is listed as for sale.

Unique Cave Home over 15,000 sf. Beautiful setting

Lots of pictures and videos of the home and owner from MSM also.

The cave actually has quite a history itself also, ...

From the Ebay link above.

The back chamber still has the stage where Ted Nugent, Bob Seger, Ike and Tina Turner, the MC5 and many other bands performed.

Sounds like a great party pad there!

Behind your house, inside a cave, you'll never have to worry about the neighbors calling the cops because your party is getting too loud!

Party on dude!

[edit on 3/2/2009 by Keyhole]

top topics

join