It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon hacker Gary McKinnon loses latest US extradition battle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I am appalled Jacqui Smith has allowed this case to get so far...He found a loophole in the system ...something Jacqui Smith is all to familiar with herself.

gary-mckinnon-news.newslib.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Now THIS is an interesting development

All along the claim has been he hacked NASA computers that had the doors left open without proper passwords.

He claimed to have seen a list of 'non-terrestrial officers' and a list of ship names NOT in the oceans.

Now they say THIS

But the US military alleges that he caused 800,000 dollars (£550,000) worth of damage and left 300 computers at a US Navy weapons station unusable immediately after the September 11 atrocities.

and THIS

He allegedly hacked into 53 US Army computers and 26 US Navy computers, including those at US Naval Weapons Station Earle in New Jersey, which is responsible for replenishing munitions and supplies for the Atlantic fleet.

He is also accused of hacking into 16 Nasa computers, one US Department of Defence computer and one machine belonging to the US Air Force.

I always said there was a LOT more to this story than we were being told...

The NAVY... the REAL space program

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Can you give me the links to your news items? thank you in advance for that.

I doubt he did all that damage..he was on dial-up and he claimed that he was able to get into the military's networks simply by using a Perl script that searched for blank passwords; in other words his report suggests that there were computers on these networks with the default passwords active. if this is the case then I think the Pentagon should be thanking him for highlighting such lax security.

The truth will out no doubt.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
ive heard his side, and our side.

i dont know why so many people on this board support him. he is not from this country, and he got caught hacking.

even if he did see stuff about aliens or ufos. HE DIDNT SAVE ONE PIECE OF EVIDENCE FOR US AND ONLY MADE US LOOK LIKE LOONS WHO HACK AND ACT LIKE JERKS.

i say let him go to jail for hacking. if it had been an iraqi or korean or chinese hacker (which there are plenty of) then we would all be screaming THROW THEM IN JAIL.

name one piece of evidence he has presented other than what he says he saw, then i will retract my statement.

otherwise he sounds silly thinking we should care that hes going to jail for commiting crime.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Those clips I posted are from the Link YOU provided... try reading your own presentation

gary-mckinnon-news.newslib.com...

Here are two clips from an original interview with Gary

"Every night," he says, "for the entire five to seven years I was doing this."

"Do you think they're still there? Are they still at it? Or have they been arrested, too?"

Gary says he doesn't know.

"What was the most exciting thing you saw?" I ask.

"I found a list of officers' names," he claims, "under the heading 'Non-Terrestrial Officers'."

"Non-Terrestrial Officers?" I say.

"Yeah, I looked it up," says Gary, "and it's nowhere. It doesn't mean little green men. What I think it means is not earth-based. I found a list of 'fleet-to-fleet transfers', and a list of ship names. I looked them up. They weren't US navy ships. What I saw made me believe they have some kind of spaceship, off-planet."

"The Americans have a secret spaceship?" I ask.

"That's what this trickle of evidence has led me to believe."

"Some kind of other Mir that nobody knows about?"

"I guess so," says Gary.

"What were the ship names?"

"I can't remember," says Gary. "I was smoking a lot of dope at the time. Not good for the intellect."

and...

"So you were saying, 'If you go heavy on me, I'll tell people what I found'?"

"Yeah," he says. "And I found out that my landline was being bugged, so every time I was on the phone talking to a friend about it, I made sure I'd say, 'All I want is a quiet life, but if they really want to drag me through it, I'll drag them through the #, too.' "

"And what would you have dragged them through the # about?" I ask.

"You know," says Gary, "the, uh, Non-Terrestrial Officers. The spaceships. 'The whole world thinks it's cooperating in building the International Space Station, but you've already got a space-based army that you refer to as Non-Terrestrial Officers'."

There is a silence.

"I had very little evidence," he admits. "It's not a very good bargaining chip at all, really, is it?"

www.thelivingmoon.com...

Not only did this genius have dial up, he also doesn't know how to access his 'temporary internet' or cache files that store everything you are looking at nor did he know about the 'print screen' function...

Either that or he did... and that is why they are coming down hard on him...

But its been 8 years... and he is STILL in the UK...

What's up with that?

The truth will out no doubt.

No I doubt very much the truth of this will ever come out

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Yep, I remember seeing an interview with him. He was saying that a prison sentence would finish him off. Not good.
I was thinking about this today, nothing we can do though I guess. Man comes close to truth, man gets silenced.
It's clear he has seen some crazy shizzle TPTB don't want anyone to know about.
I'll print some Free Gary Mckinnon t-shirts when he eventually gets put away (unjustly).

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
oops..I thought you might have had info from somewhere else.

Its definately an interesting case. He would be very foolish to try and use any information he has as a bargaining tool.

Yes still here after 8 years but 8 years of torture for his mother and family.I cant imagine what they are feeling.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Gary McKinnon hacked into NASA and got caught, simple. He should face up to his consequences like a man and stop acting like a yellow belly. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Originally, he was offered a very good deal by the American Prosecutors, he refused this offer
. You don't turn down a plea bargain if you're guilty of the crime, especially when dealing with the Americans. He could have had a relatively short sentence but he thought he'd play the wise guy.

Gary McKinnon actually thought he could use what he'd found as a bargaining tool.
He severely underestimated the American Prosecutors.

Now, he's wasting thousands upon thousands of tax payers pounds fighting an extradition he will not win. He's wasting tax payers money for a crime he committed.

He's guilty. He turned down the plea bargain and now he's going to face the harsh consequences of messing the American Government around. I have absolutely no sympathy for Gary.

He's had more than one chance to sort this little episode out.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by paul76]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
So far McKinnon has presented no concrete evidence that hes found anything, so that story of his is looking mighty suspect. Then we toss in that he admits to frequent drug usage during this time period (which reinforces my theory that he is in fact nothing more than a script kiddie). I applaud anybody looking for the truth but when you break dozens of laws in the process and come up empty handed its time to face up to your actions and accept your punishment like a responsible adult.

Now lets have a little fun with mathematics shall we?

300 computers compromised (rough estimate based on news stories)

65k/yr salary -- average pay for a technician

31.25/hr -- hourly rate

4 hrs per machine -- general time frame to sort out a single machine
37,500$ -- total for 1 person putting in 4 hours of time on each of the 300 compromised machines

1200 -- total hours necessary to sort out 300 compromised systems

Those of course are all ballpark figures, it very well could take much longer to bring a single system back to a state where its able to be attached to the network again and put into service. The odds of a single technician being tasked with sorting out some 300 or more machines is very very slim, and they probably would end up pulling overtime and driving the man-hour costs up even further. Then you have the fact that the entire network becomes suspect and you have more resources consumed in tracking down where the intruder has tread and what has and has not been compromised.

The short version is its entirely likely he did cause the alleged cost in damage via creating a metric butt load of work for a staff that is probably already over-worked with the run of the mill work. He broke the law and now he faces the consequences, perhaps it will serve as an example to others thinking to follow in his footsteps.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
what really worries me tho, are the countless other people who are successfull attacking our systems on the daily, and they dont get anything happen to them.

makes me sick.

i work as a web designer/developer and we keep getting hack attempts which are "political". thats the biggest joke around. these "political hacks" are done to sites which are basically mom and pop stores, real estate agents, and personal portfolios of people in the local area (for me)

what political reasons are there for putting "TURKISH MUSLIM HAXOR" on a site for local people. what does that actually do anyways other than make turkish muslims look like tards

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sueloujo

The main problem with Gary McKinnon is he should of kept his mouth shut. The first thing a lawyer does is to tell their client to shut up. He has admitted he hacked into government systems, which is a crime. I still say he should get his due process in a court of law, but he should of stayed quiet until all of this was done. We will here his side when he gets his trial, but the problem is he has been talking and giving the prosecution plenty of ammunition.

He enjoyed his celebrity, now it is time to pay the Piper.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I don't think that Gary has ever had a problem in taking the rap for what he has openly admitted doing - but the problem is that the potential punishment far outweighs the severity of the crime if he faces trial in the US.

A potential of 70 years in a high security prison for less than £ 0.5 million of alleged damage (unsubstantiated to date)

When the RBS boss Sir Fred Goodwin lost £ 24 billion - he got a £ 16 million pension pot!!!!!

Lets apply the basis of the "justice" of Gary's case to every corrupt banker - 70 years behind bars for every half a million they have "lost" or squandered

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

Had he kept his mouth shut, he would of had to been proven guilty. Since he has admitted what he did, he needs to try and get a plea arrangement done. I am not saying he should get a lengthy sentence, but his biggest enemy has been his own mouth.

There is a new administration now, so he may not get it as severely.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by suziwong

i agree with that. he also didnt really hurt anything. the computers didnt even have passwords.

i seriously doubt they should include the money it took for them to go and put passwords on it, BECAUSE THEY SHOULD HAVE HAD THEM ON THERE ALREADY.

i bet they are. which is totally wrong.

but who knows

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
He was originally offered a plea bargain. I can't remember the exact details, but I think it was three years in prison, he turned it down
. Resulting in the Americans saying something on the lines of " he'll burn in hell".

[edit on 27-2-2009 by paul76]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I'm sure I read that this guys got something wrong with him which might mean he will get off with a lighter sentence/penalty or whatever. He hacked so he should get charged or sentenced for it but 70 years is a long time, theres probably murderers with smaller sentences.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by and14263 Man comes close to truth, man gets silenced.

And what 'truth' exactly did he come close to? I for one have a need to know

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mahtoosacks
i agree with that. he also didnt really hurt anything.

And you know this how? He was doing this for five years continuously... how do you know what he did or didn't do?

the computers didnt even have passwords.

The only ones he claims had no passwords were the NASA computers, not the military ones.

but who knows

Precisely

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by lightning1
I'm sure I read that this guys got something wrong with him which might mean he will get off with a lighter sentence/penalty or whatever.

Gary McKinnon has Asperbergers syndrome:

There are impairments in two-sided social interaction and non-verbal communication. Though grammatical, their speech may sound peculiar due to abnormalities of inflection and a repetitive pattern. Clumsiness may be prominent both in their articulation and gross motor behavior. They usually have a circumscribed area of interest which usually leaves no space for more age appropriate, common interests.

Learn more about this condition here:
www.aspergers.com...

The British computer hacker Gary McKinnon today lost his attempt to be tried for computer offences in the UK and now faces the imminent prospect of extradition to the US. The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) announced it would not prosecute McKinnon, who has Asperger's syndrome, leaving the way open for his extradition.

The decision was condemned by McKinnon's mother, Janis Sharp, who has campaigned for her son, from north London, to be allowed to stand trial in the UK.

She said: "I'm heartbroken at the lack of compassion shown towards my desperately vulnerable son. Gary is a gentle man with Asperger's - not a dangerous terrorist."

freegary.org.uk...

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Why do we have to pay to imprison this guy, because of Bill Gates mistakes?
Shouldn't bill gates pay to imprison him?
After all hes the one who sold the software to the government with blank passwords.
No no, actually ive changed my mind.
Shouldn't Bill Gates actually go to jail instead?
For selling the government defective software?

[edit on 28-2-2009 by BorgHoffen]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join