It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine Charged with Threatening Obama

page: 1/
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Marine Charged with Threatening Obama

www.military.com

A Camp Lejeune, N.C., Marine has been charged with threatening Barack Obama before the president was sworn into office last month.

Obama is scheduled to deliver a speech from the base in Jacksonville today.

Kody Ray Brittingham, 20, faces up to five years in prison and three years of supervised release if convicted of threatening the president-elect, according to U.S. Attorney George E.B. Holding.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.fayobserver.com

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Well this might not bode good news for the budding Obama Administration.

This Marine is looking at some serious charges and penalties for simply saying the unthinkable.

The reality is that military men and women in uniform form important perceptions about their Commander in Chief that are in fact potentially very serious.

Back in the early 1990’s I worked at a Travel Agency in Bethesda MD a few blocks away from the Bethesda Naval Hospital. Bethesda is home to many Government bureaucrats, workers, soldiers and politicians stationed and working in and around the Nation’s Capital.

One day an impressive young Marine was sitting at my desk buying a ticket home to see his folks and as a respectful supporter of men and women in uniform I asked him about his duties in serving our country. It turned out he was a pilot for Marine One, the President’s helicopter. Bush Sr. had just vacated office after being defeated by Clinton and I asked the Marine if he enjoyed working for Clinton as much as Bush. He said some very admiring words about Bush Sr., in a very affectionate way and then some very disparaging words about Clinton in a not so admiring way. He concluded is assessment of his fondness for Clinton by saying “I wish I could just turn around and throw that SOB out of the helicopter in midflight.”

Obviously that Marine never did, but would it have been different if Clinton had been a genuine war time President like Obama is tasked with being?

It’s beginning to look like Obama needs to make some real efforts in stepping up in some way to assure the men and women serving in uniform in this country that he is a Commander in Chief worthy of their respect.

www.military.com

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I know this is a very loaded and very serious topic that some people for good reason might shy away from wanting to weigh in…but, more specifically to ATS Members in Uniform what things could President Obama do to gain added respect in your eyes?

What are the qualities and things that make you confident in your Commander in Chief?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I would also be very interested in hearing on this topic from people both in and out of Uniform if you believe the punishment in this case fits the crime?

I can as evidenced from my original comments appreciate the gravity of the potential for disaster because military people are often granted close proximity access to the President of the United States because of his role as Commander in Chief and their role in safeguarding and protecting him.

This particular Marine didn’t ferment, plan or carry out a conspiracy of any kind but appears to have spoken in poor ways regarding his personal politics.

Is five years hard time appropriate for this and three years supervised release along with a dishonorable discharge and a permanent blotch on his records? Or is it overkill in a case that amounts to little more than small talk?

Is he simply being singled out to provide an example for other loose lips or is it a valid and warranted response to something that in the right circumstances might lead to clear and imminent danger to the President?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
He doesn't need to impress them or convince them of anything, he's the commander in chief.
You respect the office, not the man.
Regardless of their opinions of Obama as a person or whatever, they had BETTER respect the position, it's in their oath.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

He doesn't need to impress them or convince them of anything, he's the commander in chief.

History has shown some generals and leaders are far more adept at rallying and extorting their men to success in ways that go far beyond just the ensignia upon their sleeves.

Regardless of their opinions of Obama as a person or whatever, they had BETTER respect the position, it's in their oath.

My wife took a similiar type oath when we got married. I haven't seen her in years. Oaths don't often mean as much as personal oppinion.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by uaocteaou

Well put! Spoken or written threats are taken very seriously, no matter who holds the office at the time. This is as it should be. I have to question the integrity of a soldier who does not respect the Constitution he is sworn to protect. The military questions such a person's integrity, too, and rightly so.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
20 year olds will say some dumb S*&$. and no doubt he did too.

i dont know if any 20 year old could be sentenced or help accountable for anything they say.

then again, he knew what he was getting into by saying it. he took an oath.

5 years is a lot of time to spend locked up cus you said something stupid tho. Guess its the price he's going to pay for it.

then again he could fully believe what he said, in that case, i think we need to find out how many more of our men and women are feeling this way. something bad could happen because someone failed to act because they were too busy questioning.

then again, something good could happen because they were right to question him.

i believe that if the military is questioning their leader, then thats a good sign something isnt right.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

i believe that if the military is questioning their leader, then thats a good sign something isnt right.

Though many people are simply dismissing it as partisan politics or racism or both, clearly some people have some possibly valid concerns regarding the President’s eligibility to serve in the office of Commander in chief and the courts have chosen to abdicate their own constitutional responsibility to weigh in on that regardless of the political consequences.

There seems to be a growing trend within the military to step up and use their role as defenders of the constitution as a platform to redress these still nagging questions.

Most leaders find the most effective leadership style to be an inspirational one. Is President Obama himself failing to inspire confidence in his own reticence to fully address the questions of a large portion of the citizenry and a growing segment of the Military?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Double_Nought_Spy

Well put! Spoken or written threats are taken very seriously, no matter who holds the office at the time. This is as it should be. I have to question the integrity of a soldier who does not respect the Constitution he is sworn to protect. The military questions such a person's integrity, too, and rightly so.

Don't see anywhere in this article where this young man was accused of disrespecting the Constitution in any way. The POTUS isn't the Constitution... one is a falible position currently held by a highly flawed man and the other is the document our entire nation is to be directed by. HUGE difference.

BTW, no, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. The Marine should be given a course on learning when to keep your damn mouth shut and not simply blurt out whatever's on your mind. He should also probably be given a few months of latrine duty and a self study book on tact. Aside from that, it's no big deal.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by burdman30ott6]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Actually, they take an oath to protect the Constitution not the government. No where in the Military officers oath does it say anything about the President. The only oath enlisted military personnel take does it say anything about the president, and the order is constitution first then their officers then the president.

The whole you better respect the office not the person thing is a bit of a misnomer. How can you respect the office if you don't respect the person occupying the position. The person holding the position is a representative of that office.

Respect is earned not given.

And I think this is a little overboard punishment. 5 years for mouthing off. This also makes me wonder how many of our service people feel this way. It isn't good.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
He's a Marine, not a civilian.

A Marine (or anyone else serving in the .mil) has to respect their chain of command.

If the military decides it doesn't have to respect the civilian leadership, we can kiss our democracy aside.

And if a Marine had said the same threatening Bush, I would say the same thing.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
A threat is a threat. And I do believe that it is against the law to threaten the life of the President.

According to a news release, Brittingham told people in November that he intended to shoot Obama, among other things.

"We take all threats against the president and other high officials of the United States very seriously," Holding said. "The threat itself represents a disruption of the United States government, even if no actual attempt is made to carry out the threat."

In this day and age, a statement like that could very well be something someone intends to do. But more than likely the marine is just an idiot who needs to learn to keep his mouth shut.

[edit on 2/27/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

If those where the words used by the Marine then he is toast. Any citizen who makes the overt threat with wording such as is reported would face the same, if not worse charges.

Zindo

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

And I think this is a little overboard punishment. 5 years for mouthing off. This also makes me wonder how many of our service people feel this way. It isn't good.

I agree. It does seem like they feel the need to send a very strong message. That they timed the announcement of the charges to coincide with President Obama's visit to that Marine's base today seems to also be saying something fairly loud and clear.

Honestly I never care who is President. They are going to do their thing, I am going to do mine. To each his own. The planes never really meet.

I think its a bad sign as more soldiers step forward and challenge the legitimacy of the President.

Ultimately I think because the military is so important to our democracy it is important that President Obama step up to the plate and address it quickly and fully.

It seems that all most want to see is clear and definitive absolute proof of a live brith on American soil by placing an actual true certifiable document in an independent judiciary's hands.

Personally considering the risks to life, limb and sanity that our armed services face, it seems a very small gesture in comparison to comply.

In my humble oppinion their is either an over abundunce of arrogance involved or a deliberate conspiracy to deceive a foot.

If it takes the military stepping up to force the judiciary to act then I don't see that as a failure of our multi-branch democracy but a validation of it.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I'm sorry to disagree with you bro- but here is the oath;

""I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Sounds to me as if the oath is to the office, regardless of who occupys it.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Well this might not bode good news for the budding Obama Administration.

This Marine is looking at some serious charges and penalties for simply saying the unthinkable.

The reality is that military men and women in uniform form important perceptions about their Commander in Chief that are in fact potentially very serious.

Back in the early 1990’s I worked at a Travel Agency in Bethesda MD a few blocks away from the Bethesda Naval Hospital. Bethesda is home to many Government bureaucrats, workers, soldiers and politicians stationed and working in and around the Nation’s Capital.

One day an impressive young Marine was sitting at my desk buying a ticket home to see his folks and as a respectful supporter of men and women in uniform I asked him about his duties in serving our country. It turned out he was a pilot for Marine One, the President’s helicopter. Bush Sr. had just vacated office after being defeated by Clinton and I asked the Marine if he enjoyed working for Clinton as much as Bush. He said some very admiring words about Bush Sr., in a very affectionate way and then some very disparaging words about Clinton in a not so admiring way. He concluded is assessment of his fondness for Clinton by saying “I wish I could just turn around and throw that SOB out of the helicopter in midflight.”

Obviously that Marine never did, but would it have been different if Clinton had been a genuine war time President like Obama is tasked with being?

It’s beginning to look like Obama needs to make some real efforts in stepping up in some way to assure the men and women serving in uniform in this country that he is a Commander in Chief worthy of their respect.

www.military.com

What utter malarque.... the only thing Obama needs for the respect of the troops is to hold the office of President.

The Chain of Command is the Chain of Command, period. I served under many men who I didn't agree with, like or in any other way thought well of them. But I gave them the respect that any Sailor should give those in his chain of command.

Just like there were some officers I would go out and drink with, and others I wouldn't but they were all addressed as "Sir" when on duty, and they were always shown the highest of respect while performing our duties.

Any.... ANY service member who threatens physical harm to the President of the United States of America, regardless of who is in that office, should have the same harsh book thrown at him that this young lad is receiving.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

What utter malarque.... the only thing Obama needs for the respect of the troops is to hold the office of President.

I hope it’s not utter malarque…but my dearly departed Irish maternal grandmother would have smiled at hearing you use that word!

I would love to hope that if ever a true despot attained the Presidency, which in no way shape or form, am I suggesting President Obama is one, and that our brave men and women in uniform would act out of conscience to reject that person as their commander.

I can appreciate discipline and the military’s need for discipline but in truth not all are as disciplined as life or their code tasks them with.

Case in point, where you an officer when you served in the Navy? (My Dad was a World War II Navy Frogman by the way) If you weren’t in your post you admitted to fraternizing with officers! That would be a violation of military discipline and protocol too.

The point being is how many people do you know who follow the book 100% of the time. Once it becomes a selective judgment in any regard no matter how small or large it shows a willing propensity to question some things, even if they are deemed to be relatively insignificant.

This soldier is stupid without a doubt.

I can honestly say though if I were President I would want and look for ways to make my soldiers love me, because I am just the kind of guy who could truly get into being a despot and would want, and need and love for them to support me in my endeavor to become one!

I think what I am really driving at here is no, it’s not a perfect world no matter what the book says. What can President Obama actually do to increase stature in a way with the military that doesn’t violate or diminish the office he holds?

Lets help out the new guy on the block!

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I ask my friend (a Marine vet who served two tours in Iraq) what he thought of this guy, and he had two words: "firing squad"

The USMC takes a dim view of guys that make them look bad

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Makes me wonder if he said what he said
to go to prison instead of possibly a war zone?

Some try to skip country to avoid going.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join