It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Safari 4 (BETA)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
ok, new update for safari.

EVERYONE, THIS IS A BETA, APPLY ONLY TO COMPUTERS THAT ARE NOT YOUR WORK/MAIN COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.apple.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

A couple of issues to point out should one chose to download Safari 4 (beta)

- Issues with certain websites. (hotmail doesn't work)
- No page stop/refresh option on the toolbar that I can find.
- Different page loading mechanism.

I've had it for a couple of days now and I'm happy with it but for these few issues.

[edit on 27 Feb 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Thank you for your input for me and all the reader's.

Personally, I have no issues in getting to and logging into "Hotmail"
(I just did it, after reading your post)

Also, it actually does have a refresh, it is just moved from where you normally look for it. On the far right of the url bar, their is a 3/4 circle with an arrowhead, this is the refresh button.

I am currently using windows 7 Ultimate (Beta) and it works well and VERY fast.

I encourage all who use Safari 4 to post their experiences, good or bad, here.

[edit on 2/27/2009 by mrmonsoon]

[edit on 2/27/2009 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
In the past I've tried Safari but just couldn't get into it no matter how much I wanted to like it. However, this new version is one that will get time on my machine...even though I don't ever think it will take #1 spot until they allow you to customize it like I can do with Firefox. After using AdBlock Plus and then going to websites in other browsers it makes me wonder how anyone surfs the web without it and have to look at all the ugly ads. LOL

Anyway, I have all the following browsers on my system:
1. Firefox is by far my favorite and my primary browser both at home and at work. IE Tab is a wonderful extension for the very small number of sites that will not play well with Firefox (and there are not many that I've ever found). I love dragging and dropping text into a new tab without having to right click "open new tab" (requires an extension to do this)...lazy, I know. LOL
2. Opera had been my second favorite but Safari 4 may be able to replace it. Opera seems slick and clean, but I have encountered a few sites that don't like it much. Having a 1920x1200 widescreen there are quite a few sites that I zoom the page and Firefox saves the zoom setting...Opera does not, which is a little annoying. Other than that and the lack of extensions it is a wonderful little browser.
3. Maxthon 2 used to be my primary browser and has a lot of wonderful features. It is not as well known and uses IE as it's core...so the vulnerabilitiies that IE has will be present here too.
4. Avant is another IE based browser that I use very sparingly and probably like better than Maxthon now...although since Firefox has won my heart at this point I have little motivation to use any other browser. I do use Avant at work as my IE replacement when I have to visit the few sites that don't like Firefox or IE tab.
5. Chrome is on my machine but I honestly don't like it. I leave it there and update when I see updates hoping they will make it better but so far I just haven't enjoyed it at all. It does not zoom the whole page...only text and that is a HUGE issue on my resolution. That alone would keep me from using it. And I can't tell that it's any faster than any other browser, other than it starts a little quicker. I can spare the extra 2 or 3 seconds to surf in a browser I like better.
6. The most recent build of IE is on my machine but I just simply don't like the interface, nor do I like Internet Explorer so I never use it...but it has to be there.
7. And now here comes Safari 4...and I think it looks much better than older versions (no fuzzy text issue) and I LOVE the top sites feature. I have that set to be my opening page in this browser. Again without a few extensions, I will never make it my primary. With a few extensions, who knows?

Now I do want to say that I never have speed issues with ANY browser so I don't fall for the whole "X is faster than Y" argument since I've never noticed any speed difference to worry about in any browser (possibly my good internet connection?).

I can also say I don't blame anyone for choosing any of the above mentioned browsers. After all, if a browser provides you what YOU want why worry about what anyone else thinks? All have good features and areas for improvement. I think the "Browser Wars" is great for the end user as it encourages new ideas and better quality.

So back to the subject of this thread...Safari 4 definitely is worthy of your download...and while being a beta it has been very stable for me so far on a Vista 64 bit machine. If Firefox ceased to exist Safari 4 would be my next choice at this time (I think). Thank goodness that should not ever happen. However that is about as high a compliment as I can pay Safari at this time. I do like it!

new topics

top topics

join