It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mileage Tax still being pursued

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Mileage Tax still being pursued

news.yahoo.com...

"It is not and will not be the policy of the Obama administration," the president's press secretary said.

With the administration's position seemingly clear, a special commission created by Congress is nonetheless endorsing those two ideas.

The report recommends moving to such a tax, which would mean equipping cars and trucks with a device that uses GPS technology to track the number of miles driven and compute the tax owed. The amount could be adjusted to charge more for travel during peak traffic hours.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bloomberg.com...

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Kulongoski To Pursue 'Mileage Tax'

[edit on 2/27/2009 by secretstash]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Why is it that the bad ideas never go away and keep coming back to the surface?

So even though the President (amazingly) is saying 'NO' to a mileage tax, Congress has taken it upon themselves to start a commission to implement this idea.

I am absolutely outraged at the idea of the government placing a GPS tracking device in my car in order to tax me by the mile. Talk about a serious infringement on my life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Does this mean we get taxed for going on vacation? Who would travel? This has to be the dumbest idea in history. Not only would it slam the trucking industry but would cause the price of everything to go up. No one is going to absorb this cost, they will pass it onto the consumer.

It must be really nice up on Capitol Hill. Apparently they live in a completely different world than the rest of us.

They will have to take me to jail before I let them put a tracking device in my car.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by secretstash

Why is it that the bad ideas never go away and keep coming back to the surface?

So even though the President (amazingly) is saying 'NO' to a mileage tax, Congress has taken it upon themselves to start a commission to implement this idea.

Obama is simply posturing IMO. He will sign off on it and act like its under some sort of duress.

But we are being savaged. They bail out and now we pay.

They could also be playing mind games with us. After royally ripping us off and bailing out they are threatening the people with all manner of tax and gun legislation to distract us. To get us to feel some relief when that part doesn't happen.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
ahhh the stupidity of governments.

Simple solution to cure the ills of our nation.

1 cent federal sales tax on all sales over $1 in the US.

Even if half the sales go unreported, you'll still have plenty of money coming in and nobody is going to whine about a penny being tacked onto their sales.

Instead they go with something that involves equipping cars with gps and mileage trackers and developing a system to track, bill and collect the tax. And how will we pay for the equipment, the installation, the system?

I know, we can set up a mileage tax.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

I have no doubt that they will get it passed if they really want it passed. But at what cost? There is no way they will ever convince me that this is a good idea.

I see them secretly equipping new cars with the GPS device and then springing it on us in 10 years when they think everyone has forgotten. By then they figure most people will have bought one of their 'new' cars.

I just bought a new car last year. I wonder if it was secretly equipped with a GPS?

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
ahhh the stupidity of governments.

Simple solution to cure the ills of our nation.

1 cent federal sales tax on all sales over $1 in the US.

Even if half the sales go unreported, you'll still have plenty of money coming in and nobody is going to whine about a penny being tacked onto their sales.

Instead they go with something that involves equipping cars with gps and mileage trackers and developing a system to track, bill and collect the tax. And how will we pay for the equipment, the installation, the system?

Thats a good idea. Even a 5cent tax hike. But, like you are saying I think, then folks cant make Billion's off the manufacture and implementation of the system. Not to mention kickbacks.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by secretstash

They seem to be aiming at complete control and knowledge.

Have you seen the new systems that can read your driver license from a distance? They will know where everybody is at any given time plus make it impossible to live in the world without being plugged into the system. "666"

top topics

join