It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Need of Advice on Buying a Handgun

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Tunatarian

I absolutely 100% recommend a Glock. They are THE most reliable handgun in the world, they come in many different calibers, they are fairly cheap (price wise) at about 500 U.S., they are accurate and incredibly easy to operate and take care of. When you field strip a Glock, it breaks down into 4 pieces which are- the guide rod/recoil spring assembly, barrel, slide, and frame. Cleaning is simple and not constantly needed, and they are extremely popular so after market items are easy to come by. I have 2 Glocks, a Glock 22 in .40 S&W, and my favorite, a Glock 19 in 9mm. Its my favorite gun aside from my grandfathers military service pistol which he did quite a bit of work on (its a 1911 .45 ACP, absolutely beautiful), but it is in a whole different category. All in all, Glocks are the best for personal defense in my opinion, high cap magazines, if legal in your area, can hold 15-17 rounds of 9mm in my case. The 19 is small enough to be hidden very easily for concealed carry, but it still has a 4 inch barrel and is considered a full sized pistol (even though Glock classifies it as a compact.) Ok, now that I have gotten my Glock rant over with, if you do decide to get a Glock for CCH, i would get a 19 or a 23 in .40 S&W. The 19 and 23 look the exact same with the same dimensions, but the 23 is in .40 instead of 9mm, so it has a bit more stopping power.

They also offer a couple .45's, but they have single stacked mags so you have a low ammo capacity, but the gun is nice and skinny

I put an extended magazine release on my 19, as well as a hogue rubber grip, and 2 17 round mags with grip extensions (I have big meaty paws lol). My next purchase for it is going to be tritium night sights, then a match grade stainless steel barrel, and a stainless steel guide rod assembly.

Glocks are the way to go for a perfect SHTF reliable self defense handgun, I absolutely trust my Glock to bring me out on top if I ever need to defend my life. If you have any questions U2U me, i will fill in all the details you need

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Shotgun for home defense, like thisguyrighthere said. I carry a H&k USP .40, it has never missfired or jammed and is very accurate. The .40 cal s&w round has a faster velocity than a .45 and more stopping power than a 9mm. I also keep it loaded with federal Hydra-shocks. Mongo is pictured with it on my media profile pics.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I have a glock .40 (model 23) and love it. After taking my CPL class, the plaster casts of wound channels made by shooting different rounds into ballistic jelly made me appreciate my .40 even more, plus my mags hold 13 rounds...but you must remember, 9mm have been "exterminating" people for a long time and are proven effective. I would say for a carry piece, 9mm, .38, .40 or .45 (in a small package) all have enough power to take care of business, and nothing less should be considered. My dad was considering carrying a .380 (he has a bersa thunder .380 and a walther ppks .380) until he saw the wound channel plasters as well ( we took the CPL class together).

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I say this so much that people think I'm a sales rep, but Glock, hands down is the best personal defense weapon for me.

The above posters have said it better than I can ever say it as for why. I will only add that the rounds for the 9mm are pretty cheap and easy to find. I have never been to a gun shop that didn't have just tons of it on hand to buy.

It is so easy to use and doesn't scare me like the other guns did, for some reason. Like, when I shoot it, the recoil doesn't just kill me. The recoil is manageable. I felt like Dirty Harry with the other guns I tried out. This one felt right.

BTW: I'm just an ordinary citizen. I took a class or two about how to use my Glock. I'm a woman and now I'm not scared.

I have learned a couple of things during this journey with my Glock. 1 - I refuse to be a victim and I'm capable of defending myself. 2 - If I, personally, am going to carry this gun I have to do it right. I live in NC too so in order for me to do it right, that meant gun classes, permits, etc. Not to mention the hours of practice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join