It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else feeling SADDs ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Happens every year , late fall thru winter also know as "winter Blues". People get symptoms such as fatigue , irritable , loss of interest ,weight gain. People are affected by the difference in Sunlight hours as winters are have less actual daytime hours and usually are most overcasted. Sleep seems to be the usual retreat from disorder. What the body is lacking is Light. Natural light is best , so on a sunny day , get your arse outside but if thats not happening , try going to malls , places that are full of lights .

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I get this every year. It's the worst this year. Can't think straight. Can't concentrate. Good thing I am retired for I surely woudn't be able to function at a job.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
winter's officially over.

-

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Nice vid, the music is awesome also!
Anybody know the name of the band?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I have suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder for several years. However the past couple of years, while not completely perfect, have been better. I found that by taking multivitamins on a religious basis, along with vitamin D (not to the point of overdose) have helped make it tolerable. Just the perks of living in Canada i suppose.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Living in the UK brings my inner hatred of grey out and I can get quite miserable (more so than usual) so I started taking Vitamin D (D3 - make sure it is D3) - Cholecalciferol

There have been studies that show that Cholecalciferol replenishes what is blocked out by the clouds. Speaking from experience it helps a lot. I haven't felt depressed ever since I stated taking it.

Get 1000iu per tablet (one a day)

I take these
Vit D (D3) - Cholecalciferol

Don't take any other vitamins with it though as it might not be so effective (or so I heard)

Luckily for those who can't get the extra sun their body needs to produce enough vitamin D on its own, it has been found that vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) supplements can be very effective at treating SAD. Although the number of studies published on the subject is quite low, all have produced favourable results.

An important and widely cited study conducted at The Department of Medicine, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, compared the effects of a single 100,000IU vitamin D injection to 1 months bright light therapy on the condition of 15 SAD patients6. Eight patients were given vitamin D and seven were given light therapy. Before and after treatment each patient was evaluated using the Hamilton Depression scale, the SIGH-SAD, and the SAD-8 depression scale. The results showed that every patient given vitamin D improved on all 3 depression scales, whereas the patients given bright light therapy failed to significantly improve on any. The study also found that both treatments elevated vitamin D status after 30 days but that the vitamin D injection raised levels twice as much as did bright light therapy.

The amount each patients vitamin D levels had risen also correlated strongly with the reduction in symptom severity achieved. So in this study at least, vitamin D was actually a lot more effective than bright light therapy for the treatment of SAD. It should be noted however that 15 participants is a low number to get very accurate results and that bright light therapy has proven effective in many other studies.

Other studies have used oral vitamin D3 supplementation, also with positive results. One such study gave SAD patients either 400iu of vitamin D3, 800iu of vitamin D3, or a placebo, for 5 days during late winter under double blind conditions (patients or researchers didn't know who got which treatment until results were in). The study found that even after such a short treatment period the patients given the vitamin D, in either dose, significantly improved7. Higher doses have been used in other studies, typically 4000iu per day. This has been found to be a safe dose with even more positive effects on mood than lower doses8.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) Treatment

[edit on 27-2-2009 by dodgygeeza]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This is what work for me after over 25 year of SADD.

If you think I am joking just do a little research on the two products.

B-Complex is also very important too.

5-HTP with L-Tyrosine (200mg)

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Any side effects of using such a thing?

If I wanted to find something similar in the UK what would I search for??

Sorry to be a pain in the ass but I'm not sure what would be the "Right" stuff

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

No side affects and they are natural.

Do some leg work and read up, you'll be happy you did. Literally.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
thxx for the heads up

new topics

top topics

join