It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you want your barber/hairdresser to talk to you or shut the hell up?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I hate chatty stylists! I'm terrible at small talk.

My husband had a little surprise on his last trip to get a haircut, though--the lady took her electric shears to the tops of his eyebrows. Didn't even ask, just "bzzzt" and went on with her trimming. Apparently they just do that automatically, now?

He got this look on his face, like "my eyebrows have been VIOLATED!!"

I know, it's wrong to laugh, but... oh, for a camera!

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I just recently was forced (by timing) to get my first cut over 13 dollars... Sigh. It was 40, but I doubt I'll ever pay less than that again, it actually made quite the difference.

Having said that, I'm usually the one jabbering non-stop at them. How odd would it feel avoiding eyes with someone for a half hour who's staring at you from 3 feet across from a mirror?

I am not one to illicit small talk.. EVER. I hate it, but in that situation, its like being in a cardboard box with another and not carry on any sort of rhetoric with them.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Yes I do detest barbers that chat at me. Unless it's a lady thats well endowed, then talk to me and make sure to shampoo my hair

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
If they try to strike up a conversation I grab a magazine and focus on it intently.

If they asked me "what I do" I make something up.

The reason I became an ATSer is because I dont like mundane subjects much.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I usually respond rather quietly and simply to anything that's said. It can take a few minutes, but they usually get the point that I don't want to talk. But then if they start chatting up someone else, I get even more uncomfortable. Seriously, someone with a sharp tool near my eyes, ears and face needs to be paying attention to what they're doing, and no crap about "I've been doing this so long I could do it in my sleep,".

I figure the only reason they need to open their mouth is if they intend on chewing my hair off.

[edit on 2-3-2009 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on Mar, 4 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I think this is one of those guy/girl things...(for the most part)

Guys: generally don't want the conversation. Get the cut, get out.

Gals: takes longer, so typically want to talk to pass the time.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I would just assume have no talking. Why not just be quiet if you have to akward small talk anyway?

I actually hate going to get a haircut because the barber always wants to talk and I feel obligated to talk too. Its just so.... uncomfortable.

My mom actually wanted me to learn to cut hair so I could do hers for her. I guess she would feel more comfortable with her some cutting her hair than a stranger....

I didnt want to become a barber though because of the stigma that is often attatched to male hair stylists/barbers

Bottom line, there is only two things my barber should say to me.

1. How would you like your hair cut?

2.Thankyou for your business, your total today comes to $____

[edit on 9-3-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I dont mind a little bit of small talk as long as they're focusing on my hair.

I had one girl who just seemed completely bored cutting my hair and pretty much just talked to her friend the whole time. And ended up cutting my hair the wrong way I asked her.

Oh well though. Hair grows back!=]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join