It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Aircraft Noises

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Has anyone ever been walking down the road, or out in the garden in the peace and quiet, then suddenly what can only be described as a sound like an object coming out of warp drive occurs above your head? after which the sound turns into a normal sounding aircraft. It hasn't happened to me in over a year, but before that I must have heard that sound about 8 times above the area in which I live. The weather conditions at the time was always cloudy, which may be why it makes that wierd sound.

I can only think what happens is that because it is cloudy, the sound of the aircraft is completely muffled. Then as it gets closer, or there is a break in the cloud above you, the sound is able to break through and make this whooshing sound like something is deaccelerating from a very fast speed. I have never been able to spot the plane that the sound was coming from as it was always cloudy, but am presuming it is a normal commercial jet.

I was just wondering whether anyone else has experienced this, and thought it sounded odd at the time. I imagine the same effect would occur when a shockwave eminating from a distant source reaches you.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Then suddenly what can only be described as a sound like an object coming out of warp drive occurs above your head?.

Umm the thing I want to know is.
How do you know what a warp drive sounds like, over your head?

In order to only be able to describe it as that?
Star trek was science fiction on the tv, not over your head.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Well, the only noise I can compare it to is the noise from Star Trek, there is nothing else that sounds like that. It basically sounds like this but in reverse (and without the boom sound at the end). A high pitched sudden noise quickly moving to a low and then blends into a normal aircraft sound.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by tronied]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
same sound here in holland, it's going on for like 2 months now. not constantly but with 3-4 day breaks.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Yep. often wondered about this. We live on a approach to Heathrow and I often hear this sound. It seems to precede a throttle change and more often than not comes from a twin engined jet like one of the Airbus family.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
OP,

Often heard near airports on approach. What I think you are hearing is really nothing more than throttle adjustments.
I worked briefly out at Nellis Air Force Base and the F 16's did exactly as you describe on apporach...althouth that had to do with a combination of throttle adjustments and airflow...but I would imagine this to be similar.

It does in fact sound eerily cool and almost like a roar of sorts coming out of thin air..very cool.

The F 16's almost did a neat little whistle thing..sort of like a scream righ about when they were touching down.

Have a great day,
Peace,
Mondo

top topics

join