It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private Eye (UK publication) anything similar elsewhere?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I was first introduced to Private Eye (and Punch) at grammar school in the late 1970s and 1980s.

If anyone's not familiar with it, it's print-based paper that deals with political satire and investigative journalism. Wiki has a good explanation as to what it's about as well as a potted history. I seriously can't recommend it enough to British members of this forum if you want an idea of the kind of politics that tend doesn't generally get reported on in the mainstream press and isn't US-centric.

I'm wondering whether America or Europe have any similar? I'm familiar with the Onion and have several of the books, yet whilst it can be genuinely funny, it doesn't have the same weight to it or take on investigative journalism.

Is there a motherload of print-based satire and current affairs anywhere that I'm missing?

EDIT: Just to add, I'm not interested in anything that adheres to any firm political position. The 'left-wing' satirising the 'right-wing' and vice versa doesn't interest me as much as something investigating and lampooning politics in general.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
www.newsbiscuit.com is a very silly UK website which is satirical and very very very funny.

I would recommend looking at the submissions board - that's where the more outrageous stories are.

Check out the Isle of Wight segment - anyone who has been to the Isle of Wight (apologies non-UK ATS-ers) will know exactly what they mean...

new topics

join