It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something strange just happened...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
There's this big, old table-like thing an elderly couple who used to live across the street from my house gave my family that has a radio, an 8-track player, and a phonograph built into it. My parents are getting new windows installed this weekend, and since this thing is up against the wall, it needs to be moved before then and so my dad thought: if we're going to move it, we might as well give it away 'cause we don't use it.

So this made me think of messing around with it tonight because it's pretty cool and we might be getting rid of it soon... So while I was out there, I decided to turn on the phonograph, which had a record on it. And I don't know how it works, really, so I try taking the needle and putting it on the record and turning it on. Well... a few seconds after I did this and the record started spinning, I still had my hand on the needle thing and it started moving off of the record. I let it move and it just went back to where it was before I touched it, and the on/off switch turned to off.

At first I thought this was just some sort of automated mechanism thing that the phonograph did. I turned it right back on and put the needle on the record and it was fine. I quickly noticed that there was no resistance at all when trying to move the needle around. And at that point I started to get really freaked out. The most disturbing thing was that it turned off on its own and it doesn't seem like there'd be any reason for that sort of thing to be automated.

Am I just really paranoid/superstitious? I guess I'm partly asking: Do these machines actually do this, or are they supposed to be totally manually operated?

It seems like this is something that someone would overreact to and incorrectly assume to be some sort of paranormal thing, like some spirit that once owned this thing doesn't want it to be played or something. I've never actually thought anything like this and actually believed it, and I'm normally a very rational person. Although I have a lot of irrational fears about these sort of things, but never before have I actually experienced any sort of physical evidence to support them (hence "irrational").

What's going on here?

[edit on 27-2-2009 by aV09s2]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
O my goodness, you must be very very young! LOL! Are you saying that you placed the needle on the record and it went all the way to the end without playing music and then turned off? Don't be scared of it, that was state of the art technology not very long ago, and it was not ususual for a needle to skip over a record and turn off, usually means there is no needle in the arm.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Hmm... Okay.
Well, I guess this is kind of embarrassing if that's the case, but I still think it's weird. As I said, I get scared easily by this sort of stuff, but really... it's because of a few fairly legitimate reasons:

1. It's late at night.
2. I'm awake alone and my parents are asleep.
3. I've always felt uncomfortable in my own house, even though I grew up here. I'm an only child, and we have upstairs bedrooms we've never lived in, an attic, etc. And everything just looks and feels too dimly lit and tranquil.

Thanks for the quick reply. This is the first time I've ever been so freaked out by something that I felt the need to rush online and inquire about it, I swear.

...so this is now officially a useless thread...

Actually, though, this is pretty funny/ironic: a young kid (I'm 20, but that's still relatively young) scared of old technology that he doesn't understand.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by aV09s2]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
It is very easy to get scared in your situation, I hope this eases your mind, I wouldn't worry about it. I imagine if you don't understand or have never seen a phonograph operating it would be kinda freaky deeky. By the way, I would keep that record player, there aren't many of the originals left anymore, specially not in a cabinet or table like that.

Edit to add: that is ironic! (sorry just read your last line, lol!)

[edit on 27-2-2009 by space cadet]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Heh. Yeah, my old phonographs used to do that, too. Never did understand why. I suppose it's just a glitch like I get in my computers. lol.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I just realized, phonograph isn't really the right word for it.

It's a Capehart radio/phono cabinet.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Haha. That mechanism looks just like a record player I've used before. If you don't place the arm correctly, it will lift it up, "park" it, and shut off automatically (it's designed to do this when done playing). To avoid this I think you have to move the arm in a certain way before setting it down. It can be extremely annoying sometimes because the one I used was stubborn and kept lifting and parking the arm almost every time you try to use it.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by ac500]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Oh dude, in ur house there must be ghosts cuz of the pictures i saw.
I'm scared in my apartment when I'm alone and it's a modern place.. so I either had to bring a lady or turn loud music on

old furniture creeps me out O_o

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
If I recall correctly, you need to lift the arm and swing it AWAY from the record until it clicks - then place it at the start of the record.....

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
No need to be alarmed! My Grandparents used to own one of these and it did exactly the same thing. I dont know exactly how it works but no, I dont believe its haunted
Does the radio on it seem to have a heck of a lot of stations/channels on it compared to a standard radio by the way? The one my Grandparents owned was able to pick up radio stations in France Germany and Luxembourg to name a few. I found it strange that this older technology seems to have more power/range than even some of the DAB radios of today! You should try and keep that in good condition cos thats gonna be worth some money some day (if we're all still around that is hehe)

Great to see one of these again - brought back some nice memories! Thanks!

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Wow it has been a long time from the last time I used one of those.
That was the top tech in my day.
I forget that there are younger people that have never seen or used these.

Glad you posted this. And it is good that you came here and asked in stead of worrying about what you did not understand.
You made a smart move in asking.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by aV09s2

The whole piece of kit is what used to be called in Britain a Radiogram and the deck with the vinyl record on it is known as an Autochanger.

That's a nice piece of kit and in the long run will be worth some money. The cabinet is a beautiful piece of work.

When I was a kid and we'd have a party, we would get eight single 45rpm records stacked up on the Autochanger, and that was the only way of getting nearly a half hour of continuous dance music from different artists.

The next great innovation was the audio cassette recorder and that gave continuous music for 45 minutes on each side of a C90 Cassette.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by aV09s2

WOW ! I feel so old ... don't be embarrassed ... if you've never seen or used one before it's bound to freak you out.

Hell, my computer freaks me out all the time ... especially when the clock changes automatically from GMT to BST (how does it know) ???

Woody

new topics

top topics

join