It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thor Heyerdahl and the Sea-Beasts- Why not more attention?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Thor Heyerdahl and the Sea-Beasts- Why not more attention?

After checking out another thread that concerned USO's, I thought I should detail something I had read. With all the attention that is given to USO's and Mysterious Sea Creatures/Monsters, I always wondered why the words of Thor Heyerdahl haven't had more review in forums like this.

As you may or may not know, Thor Heyerdahl headed the incredible journey on a tiny, motor-less sea-craft, simply to see if it could really be done. He believed that people from South America could have settled Polynesia in pre-Columbian times. The craft was called the Kon-Tiki.

This was a very respected man, and the information below was never used, or needed to be used or capitalized. It sits quietly behind the scenes, while Thor's true exploits gave him all the fame and respect he ever needed.

It is for this reason, that the information below is that much more incredible.

While part of what you are about to read reflects on a potential Cryptozoology angle, it also brushes with a possible USO scenario.

Decide for yourself, and enjoy the read!

I have listed a link that brings you to a website that gives this information. But, I believe it is also in the book, Kon-Tiki.

Page on WaterUFO.com

The pages for each excerpt are listed at the end of the paragraph.

Read on:

1947 ***Thor Heyerdahl*** (Kon-Tiki)

(Between April 28 and August 7)
Several times, when the sea was calm, the black water round the raft was suddenly full of round heads two or three feet in diameter, lying motionless and staring at us with great glowing eyes. On other nights balls of light three feet and more in diameter would be visible down in the water, flashing at irregular intervals like electric lights turned on for a moment.

We gradually grew accustomed to having these subterranean or submarine creatures under the floor, but nevertheless we were just as surprised every time a new species appeared. About two o'clock on a cloudy night, when the man at the helm had difficulty in distinguishing black water from black sky, he caught sight of a faint illumination down in the water which slowly took the shape of a large animal. It was impossible to say whether it was plankton shining on its body or whether the animal itself had a phosphorescent surface, but the glimmer down in the black water gave the ghostly creature obscure, wavering outlines. Sometimes it was roundish, sometimes oval, or triangular, and suddenly it split into two parts which swam to and fro under the raft independently of each other. Finally there were three of these large shining phantoms wandering round in slow circles under us.

They were real monsters, for the visible parts alone were some five fathoms long, and we all quickly collected on deck and followed the ghost dance. It went on for hour after hour, following the course of the raft. Mysterious and noiseless, our shining companions kept a good way beneath the surface, mostly on the starboard side where the light was, but often they were right under the raft or appeared on the port side. The glimmer of light on their backs revealed that the beasts were bigger than elephants, but they were not whales, for they never came up to breathe. Were they giant ray fish which changed shape when they turned over on their sides? They took no notice at all if we held the light right down on the surface to lure them up so that we might see what kind of creatures they were. And, like all proper goblins and ghosts, they had sunk into the depths when the dawn began to break.

We never got a proper explanation of this nocturnal visit from the three shining monsters, unless the solution was afforded by another visit we received a day and a half later in the full midday sunshine. It was May 24, and we were lying drifting on a leisurely swell in exactly 95°west by 7° south. [p. 90-91]

We saw the shine of phosphorescent eyes drifting on the surface on dark nights, and on one single occasion, we saw the sea boil and bubble while something like a big wheel came up and rotated in the air, while some of our dolphins tried to escape by hurling themselves desperately through space. [p. 118]

On several occasions we glided past a large dark mass, the size of the floor of a room, that lay motionless under the surface of the water like a hidden reef. It was presumably the giant ray of evil repute, but it never moved, and we never went close enough to make out its shape clearly. [p. 120]

This reference: Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl, pp. 90-91, 118 & 120, © 1950

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I had heard of Thor Heyerdahl and the Kon Tinki - but don't ever remember hearing this before.

Like you - I'm surprised more hasn't been mentioned about. Very good find!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Thor was a very brave explorer. Everyone thought the Kon Tiki Crew was crazy, if not suicidial.... I admire their courage. During the documentary they showed their ignorance by killing every shark that passed their bow, including a harmless whale shark, because they didn't know any better. No one can explain what they don't understand.

Thor's grandson just finnished the same vouage. It would be interesting to compare their logs.

Thanks for the post.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Has this been collaborated by anyone else on the voyage? I remember reading something by a prophet named John who also had serious visions while alone on an island.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I read tons of books from and about thor Heyerdahl when I was a kid. Time to dust the books off and reread them, I guess.
Strange, how such stories are nothing unusual as a kid and totally plausible, but when you grow older, you just forget them or stop caring about them.

top topics

join