It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Check List (Printable Version)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Well, in addition to the cargo pant pocket kit, (Which should be on your person AT ALL TIMES if outdoors or in a survival situation) The next step is to get yourself a nice backpack.

I would suggest an internal frame pack no less than about 3900 cubic inches. In and on this pack, you can carry a bivy tent, sleeping bag, water purifier(Katadyn Hiker), extra socks, extra food(civilian MREs), and whatever else trips your trigger. But as I said in the previous post, be WARY of what you pack, because the weight adds up FAST! The next thing you know, youll be packing 400lbs on your back and youll die from exhaustion!

The ideas for this comes from outdoor survival, not necessarily a SHTF situation. Although the two situations are very similar. IMO, if you are wanting to get set up for a SHTF situation, it IS a good Idea to have a pack set up as Ive outlined. BUT, the best preparation you can make is making your HOUSE, your BOB. There are SO MANY reasons why 'bugging out' probably wont work.

First, if you plan on driving to your designated survival area, think again. If there is a local or national catastrophy, EVERYONE else and their brother will be trying to drive, which will have traffic at a stand still.

Second, if you try just putting on your BoB and running out into the woods, you need to account for any family or friends that are with you at the time, who dont have a BoB, or are too small to pack one. That puts ALOT of strain on your gear, and streches it pretty thin. You also better have a good line of defense, a good firearm and alot of ammo, because there will likely immeadately be people that WANT what You have. You have to defend it, which is hard when trying to get to your survival destination cross country.

Third, if you even make it to where you want to survive without being killed or robbed, how will you defend your survival area? Most likely you chose that place due to its resources, and others will attempt to access those resources also.

And there are a hundred more reasons.

So your best bet is to supply, fortify, and defend your own house or apartment. Then you dont have to worry about having too much gear, or no good way to defend it. In the end, though, its good to have a back up plan, like a good BoB Kit.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Cellphone batteries was not on the list. Lotsa of them.

Because only Jack Bauer's never needs charging.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
In a SHTF situation, you better not count on your cell, or GPS, or anything of that nature. Invest in a good crank radio, and a good compass. And then educate yourself on their use.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
If it was a shtf situation aho would use thier cell phone anyway....wouldn't you be able to be traked? I for one will ditch the cell phone.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I like the OP's list for survival...

it's clean, neat and pretty much covers it all

What I think when I read the following posts is that any "basic" list for survival could good be stretched up to enormous proportions... it all depends on what one considers to need to survive.

Peace

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Andre33

that made me giggle, as thats the very item i added the other day, still dont know if it was a good idea as we tend to use leaves (sweet chestnut are the best...untill they get old and crunchy that is
)....
m x

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Um a few many things to some members...

reply to post by treemanx

It is NOT impossible if you are not lazy. Get a hiking pack and you can fit far more in than it looks. And many expand. Just dont toss stuff in.
When I get a new backpack Ill show you how much can fit if you are creative!

reply to post by burdman30ott6

A firearm is not the "most important thing of all" for survival. You are thinking of escaping police or something. Were talking about continuing on surviving. A gun has only one use, is heavy (even polymer frames when loaded), and once you're out of bullets, absolutely useless.

reply to post by Andre33

Haha, that is what we call luxury! Though light takes up a lot of physical room, there are leaves everywhere!

[edit on 28-2-2009 by Ridhya]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by fask1

Wow...just wow. You get your own response.

Crossbow - Yes, because a big heavy weapon with large ammunition is ideal... you'd be slightly better off with a handgun.
Throwing knife - Are you KIDDING me?! Just because you saw it in a movie does not mean they are anywhere near useful. As a last ditch perhaps but total waste.
Large knife - that is just for show. A good 4 inch, barely curved blade is perfect. Those stupid 9 inch bladed gothic crap you are probably thinking of are useless. Heavy, unwieldy, just a pain. I know, I have a wicked looking beast but it is just that, wicked. Not practical in the slightest.
Sword - Lay off the ninja fantasy. Swords are useless too except as a last line. They will break, need CONSTANT resharppening, and are a burden to lug around.

Opinion: A machete would be better than all those things. Works dull, not too big not too small, uses its weight to attack rather than sharpness.

Magnifying glass - What are we, playing Resident Evil?! Do you know how long it takes one to make a fire? And inspecting things should be the least of your worries. You can identify anything without it.
Trench coat - I cant even imagine where you got the idea for this, but since you put sunglasses right after, Im assuming you just watched the Matrix.
Black shirt and jeans - NO ONE DO THIS! Jeans are the worst thing you can wear - when they get wet they will weigh you down to the point of suicide and they take forever to dry.
Gas mask - if "they" are using chemical warfare against you you might as well give up - those filters dont last forever.
Goggles - ??? This is the point of sunglasses. They keep the wind and dust from directly hitting your face - not perfect, but does multiple jobs.
Pills- Like painreleivers, allergy medicines, cold meds, sleep aids, muscle relaxants, so on - Not a terrible idea, but remember how they affect the body differently without a proper (changed) diet. Dizzness, nausea, tiredness, up to hallucinations and passing out...
Tooth Brush
Soap
- This isnt a trip to the spa! Luxuries arent necessary
Money - Currency is useless when no one accepts it. Just a warning

Im not even going to get into your last section...
My only advice for you is lay off the video games and movies, or you're going to be in a lot of trouble...

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

just kiddin . SAS survival guild big time

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
I have 3 criticisms of that list:

• No guns or ammo? What do they expect me to hunt/defend with? I'm not Chuck Norris

• GPS and Cellphone are fine, but are useless without batteries / solar recharger

• For the love of God, have a RADIO with a hand crank charger. You'll need the info when TSHTF. It can help psychologically to boost morale.

To me those are basics that no one surviving should not be without.

The list is a literal basic of basics you would need. I am still looking for a good printable version with everything you might possibly need.

I do agree though, guns/ammo, knives, or a bow/arrows are up there and needed.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I added a couple of two way radios with solar charger to my bag. They advertise a 10 mile range but have tested them successfully to only about three miles. If you are in a group and need to go in search of stuff, last thing you want to do in a paranoid environment is start yelling out to eachother to keep in contact.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join