It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Check List (Printable Version)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
So with everyone worried about TSHTF lately I thought I would post this up here for everyone to print out and use if needed. I personally have one printed and taped to the wall next to my front door. I check off everything I get when I get it and I am getting there to fully prepared.

Please feel free to use this link for your own good.
Check List

If you happen to think of anything else that is not on the list please give us your ideas!

Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it!

[edit on 26-2-2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Thanks for posting this
I've already printed this off. Haning it by the door is a really great idea. Thanks again!
Maybe now I can get the hubby to start getting some stuff.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Looks like a good list
but I have to ask
For the Fire list why is there Metal cup?
that would be a mistake right?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Ha ha, I guess I've finally gotten to the point where I have all those essentials plus some more goodies. (picked myself a cellphone/gadget hand cranked charger thingy yesterday). appreciate the list though S&F!

Been thinking to start making some additional BOB's and supply containers from now on. Keep one at home, work, car and so on.

My guess with metal cup is that someone might try to make an alcohol burning stove out of it. But who knows?

Still very basic, I would call it the "essential items" list for any BOB. Except for the clothing, wouldn't be good for very warm or tropical weather. (EDIT selective reading again it says this at the top of the list...
)

Cheers

[edit on 26-2-2009 by TheDarkFlame]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I have 3 criticisms of that list:

• No guns or ammo? What do they expect me to hunt/defend with? I'm not Chuck Norris

• GPS and Cellphone are fine, but are useless without batteries / solar recharger

• For the love of God, have a RADIO with a hand crank charger. You'll need the info when TSHTF. It can help psychologically to boost morale.

To me those are basics that no one surviving should not be without.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Flashlight should also be rechargeable or hand cranked but we all have our own preferences on BOB's don't we...
My list would also include night vision, glow sticks, and something to actually start a fire with like fire paste or something (just to make life easier...).
Oh and I cant stress it enough every kit should include a nail clipper, believe me been there done that.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
. If your staying at home you will have all your stuff . But if you are evacuating they are very different scenarios. Evac could be on foot. ( roads become impassable) and cells could be down, a compass is a lot lighter than gps. You can carry a lot more 22 rounds than 308. If you don’t have much experince with a pack.. Pack every thing you would like to bring then try and pick it up. You may find you need to shed, and become weight conscious. You don’t want to be figuring this out if you need to get out quick… cell with no service or food, gps with the sats scrambled or water, that kind of thing.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Pretty good, couple additions, lets get some of that FSK training into play:

1. Clothing
- Jacket - WATERPROOF, doubles as a tarp for shelter
- fingerless gloves - good to keep warm yet continue working
- comfortable shoes, as well as hiking boots
- many extra socks! - doesnt seem important, when they get wet, you'll know why
- not many extra clothes, maybe one or two extra outfits (any more takes up space)
- balaklava - covers the face from wind, protects head, ears, nose all at once
- bandana - million uses!

2. Cooking
- camping stove - big but VERY useful!
- should mention, waterproof matches!
- swiss army knife with fish scaler
- water in water bladder (backpack)
Food should be:
-high energy
-nutritious
-non-perishable
-dried (much lighter)
-less packaging (not as traceable)
-variety to keep sanity
-quickly prepped

3. Tools
- solar powered flashlight keychain (never needs batteries, recharges in the day!)
- whetstone for knives
- twine or string, invaluble!
- refills (ink for pen, batteries, bullets..?)
- Skandinavian Firesteel
- tweezers
- animal calls are always useful
- laser pointer

Vodka - amazing disinfectant, can keep you warm in an instant, helps to increase fire. DO NOT OVERUSE!!

And a backpack to keep it all in!
Thats all I can think of at the moment

LOL I love the Alien vs Predator quote on the end!

[edit on 27-2-2009 by Ridhya]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
sorry guys....new here whats TSHTF

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Not a bad list, I've got one large bag in the house, and a smaller bag with some basic essentials in the car just in case I'm on the road when the zombies attack...the only problem there is all the guns/ammo are at home in the safe

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Here is an exerp from a Preparedness manual I have on my personal confuser.

1. Has your family rehearsed fire escape routes from your home? YES - NO
2. Does your family know what to do before, during, and after an earthquake or YES - NO
other emergency situation?
3. Do you have heavy objects hanging over beds that can fall during an earthquake? YES - NO
4. Do you have access to an operational flashlight in every occupied bedroom?
(use of candles is not recommended unless you are sure there is no leaking gas) YES - NO
5. Do you keep shoes near your bed to protect your feet against broken glass? YES - NO
6. If a water line was ruptured during an earthquake, do you know how to shut off the
main water line to your house? YES - NO
7. Can this water valve be turned off by hand without the use of a tool?
Do you have a tool if one is needed? YES - NO
8. Do you know where the main gas shut-off valve to your house is located? YES - NO
9. If you smell gas, do you know how and would you be able to shut off this valve? YES - NO
10. Gas valves usually cannot be turned off by hand. Is there a tool near your valve? YES - NO
11. Would you be able to safely restart your furnace when gas is safely available? YES - NO
12. Do you have working smoke alarms in the proper places to warn you of fire? YES - NO
13. In case of a minor fire, do you have a fire extinguisher that you know how to use?YES - NO
14. Do you have duplicate keys and copies of important insurance and other papers
stored outside your home? YES - No
15. Do you have a functional emergency radio to receive emergency information? YES - NO
16. If your family had to evacuate your home, have you identified a meeting place? YES - NO
IF AN EMERGENCY LASTED FOR THREE DAYS ( 72 HOURS) BEFORE HELP WAS AVAILABLE
TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY......................................
17. Would you have sufficient food? YES - NO
18. Would you have the means to cook food without gas and electricity? YES - NO
19. Would you have sufficient water for drinking, cooking, and sanitary needs? YES - NO
20. Do you have access to a 72 hour evacuation kit? YES - NO
21. Would you be able to carry or transport these kits? YES - NO
22. Have you established an out-of-state contact? YES - NO
23. Do you have a first aid kit in your home and in each car? YES - NO
24. Do you have work gloves and some tools for minor rescue and clean up? YES - NO
25. Do you have emergency cash on hand? (During emergencies banks and ATMs are closed) YES - NO
26. Without electricity and gas do you have a way to heat at least part of your house? YES - NO
27. If you need medications, do you have a month’s supply on hand? YES - NO
28. Do you have a plan for toilet facilities if there is an extended water shortage? YES - NO
29. Do you have a supply of food, clothing, and fuel where appropriate:
For 6 months? For a year? YES - NO
These are all questions that need answers if you are to be safe in an emergency.
If you answered ‘No’ to any of them, its now time to work on getting those items done.

A FREE electronic version of this manual can be downloaded from
Manual It has good stuff in it. It goes along with the OP.

Id suggest it to anyone who is serious about self preservation in a Post Katrina type event. Good stuff to know, covers just about everything. From Food storage, to protecting it, to having money and what types.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
www.survivalistboards.com

all the info you need for # like camping/hiking, bugging in or out, firearms, personal defense, etc

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Good list of some of the essentials, after reviewing I realized I already have everything listed in it and more.

A common misconception is though, that these and other items listed here by posters are all MUST HAVES in your BoB. Fact is, that Id like to see ANYONE pack all the things listed in this thread! Unless you have pack horses or mules, you couldnt move under the weight of all that gear.

Overall, the items listed here are good for having in your house, or car, incase you have to survive in one or both of those places. BUT, your BoB must have ALL the fat cut out, to provide you with the bare essentials of outdoor survival.

What do you need in a pack that will indefinately sustain you in the wilderness? I can tell you that I have a little pack that can fit into the large pocket of my cargo pants, that would sustain me for a great while outdoors. Couple that pack with a good full tang knife and water bottle and you are set for survival if you have the skills.

My cargo pant pocket Kit contains everything I need to do the following:

Several ways to make fire(Firesteel, dry lighter, dry matches, tinder, ect.)
Several ways to purify any water(Purify tabs,canteen cup to boil, ect)
Several options for fishing(Small fishing kit pill bottle with fishing line,ect)
Several options for snare wire(Brass wire, fishing line, ect.)
Spare folding knife
First aid kit
25 ft of Paracord tied to make a sling for small kit(for almost anything)
Compass
Whistle
(Im just going off the top of my head here, I know Im forgetting some stuff)

Everything beyond this small kit is an added luxury that increases the weight of your kit. So choose wisely. A good tool to use when planning what to pack is this:

Whatever you pack MUST serve more than one purpose, or even multiple purposes. The more things you can do with ONE item, the less you have to pack. So make sure that everything in your Kit can be used for many different survival uses.

Spelling edit

[edit on 27-2-2009 by treemanx]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Thats what I was wondering, for those that have a great stockpile, where is it, can you move it easily, will you be able to get it from one place to another easily. Of course I know it depends on the situation but lets say shtf, will you drive to you retreat in the woods? Because if you plan on walking(its a far far walk for us) how will you transport all your supplies of food, shelter stuff, basic needs etc.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Folks I live in Houston and after Hurricane Ike it made me acutely aware that a natural disaster will alter your life dramatically. I was only 8 days without power but was life different and uncomfortable. I had a redcross crank radio, camping stoves, survival meals and while myself and my family were comfortable life without all of the daily stuff we take for granted. Electricity, water it puts you ill at ease to say the least. Myself and two grown daughters went to the local Kroger and it was frightening to see no bread, dairy products, fresh fruit on the shelves. People were literally grabbing anything they could. No riots, everyone was calm but it was eery seeing this happening and it made me think how bad it could really get. I have restocked, gotten several more plastic 10 gal water bottles, survival meals, ammo (most important), duraflame logs, etc. Not trying to cause panic but this was from a Hurricane. Imagine something worse like a war??? Be a Boy Scout, Be Prepared.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
They did, in fact, leave the most important survival tool of all off the list... that being a firearm. It cuts down on the intangibles and, if desperate, gives you the abillity to get anything you didn't have the forethought to pack for yourself before things went to hell.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Hunting Weapons

Slingshot- For hunting small game

Crossbow- For larger game

Defensive Weapons

Throwing knife

Paintball gun- Although not lethal, will still cause pain

Large Knife

Fighting Weapons

Sword- Never runs out of ammo, and works well close range

Tools

Multi-tool- With pliers, knife, saw, can openers etc...

Magnifying glass- For starting fires and inspecting small items

Axe

Foldable shovel

Rope saw- Small, light, cuts well

Knife

Rope

Clothing

Camo jacket and pants

Camo hat

Trench coat

Sunglasses

Boots and tennis or hiking shoes

Black shirt and jeans

Vest

Poncho- For keeping dry in the rain, and can be used for shelter

Belt- For keeping your pants up and carrying supplies

Gas mask- Just in case

Goggles- Ones that will protect against sand and dust

Extra clothing- Including socks, underwear, extra shirt and pants

Gloves- Both work gloves and winter gloves

Shelter and warmth

Emergency blanket

Fleese blanket

Tent

Plastic sheets- To rig up a shelter if no tent is available

Fire logs- Long-lasting and easily started, sold for use in fireplaces

Matches

Food and Water supplies

Canteen

Hip Flask- With Vodka or other hard liquor

Water bag

Camping pans

MRE's- Meal Ready to Eat

Packaged tuna- Lasts long and is good food

Spoon

Fishing wire

Fishing hooks

Water purification tablets

Water filter

Seeds- For if you find a good place to settle down

Medical supplies

Bandaids

Alcohol swabs

Gause

Pills- Like painreleivers, allergy medicines, cold meds, sleep aids, muscle relaxants, so on

Hydrogen Peroxide

Mycitracin ointment- Anti-biotic and pain releiver

Hydrocortisone cream- Anti-itch for rashes, bug bites, etc...

Mortar and pestal- For grinding herbs or whatever

Tooth Brush

Soap

Misc

Dice- For games

Matches- The more the better

Flashlight

Mirror- For signaling and seeing how you look

Watch

Backpack
Survival book - US Army field manual FM 21-76

Journal- For recording the events and thoughts of your journy through the wastes

Sketch book- For drawing

Pen and pencil

Hacky sack

Money- In case there are any remenants of the old world that still use it

Batteries- Lots of them. For your flashlights and anything else that uses them

Harmonica

Carbine clips- For carrying things and holding stuff together

Straps

Binoculars or spyglass

Towel

Orange bouncy ball

Vehicle
Truck or van- For now

Bike

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Toss the matches and the lighter. Too much bad can happen if you depend on them. Ever try to get a bic going when its cold? Matches dont do well when wet Ive noticed. Pick up on of those magnesium fire starter or a blast match. Can carry them on a keychain if you want. Cheap, simple and always works.

Aside from that, very good "basic" list. Nice for people just starting to prepare themselves or for school, office, etc...

For those who are going to take this list and actually follow these guidlines, take the time to purchase individual quality items that you know and trust. Do Not buy a premade kit. Depenability is everything.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
People- you forgot one thing.

Once the SHTF, the same will be done in the woods.

Add "Toilet Paper" to your lists!
_javascript:icon('
')

[edit on 27-2-2009 by Andre33]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join