It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UNA students accused of making explosives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
UNA students accused of making explosives
Four cross country runners expelled
By Tom Smith
Senior Staff Writer

Published: Thursday, February 26, 2009 at 3:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 10:37 p.m.
FLORENCE - Four members of the University of North Alabama cross country team have been arrested and expelled after being accused of discharging a homemade acid bomb outside fraternity row during the weekend, authorities said.

Arrested Wednesday by UNA names left out---

All four students were charged with criminal possession of explosives. The charge is a Class C felony, which carries a prison sentence of 1-10 years, if convicted.

University officials said Dill also was charged with giving false information to officials, a misdemeanor offense.

Bush, Talley and Montgomery are all freshman, and Dill is a junior.

Josh Woods, public relations director for the university, said a police report was made Saturday night after a loud boom was heard on Collier Street, which is outside fraternity row. The area is between Irvine Avenue and Waterloo Road.

Woods said remains of the explosive - a plastic soda bottle containing Drano - was found in the roadway, "which suggested a small homemade explosive device."

Law enforcement agents say those type of explosive devices are often referred to as "acid bombs."

Woods said the bomb was apparently discharged in the middle of the street and no one was injured. He added no damage was done to any buildings, even though the explosion occurred outside a fraternity house.

Woods said none of the four men arrested are affiliated with a fraternity.

"Public safety moved swiftly to conduct a very careful and thorough investigation to identify the suspects," Woods said.

He said the four men cooperated with UNA police.

"Based on the evidence and after discussing the situation with the Lauderdale County District Attorney's office, arrest warrants were obtained," Woods said.

The state fire marshal's office was notified about the report, but the decision was made to allow UNA police to handle the case. Woods said the allegation is a violation of the university's code of conduct, so the case is being adjudicated through the university student discipline system.

He said as a result of the reported violations, the four students are no longer enrolled at UNA and are no longer permitted on university-owned or -operated property. That action could be reduced or overturned by the university hearing board. Webb said a decision on whether they can return to school at a later time will be determined in the adjudication process.

All four were taken to the Lauderdale County Detention Center where Bush, Talley and Montgomery were all released on bail of $1,000 each. Dill was released on bail of $2,000.

A trial date has not been set for the case.

MY question is would this been possible say 6 years ago? a soda bottle in the street!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
that reminds me of dry ice bombs from back in the day.
fun stuff.
Next people are going to get arrested for making potato guns.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
bogus arrest as no real explosives were involved.

I do the same thing with 2 liter soda bottles and dry ice.

Just put a couple small pieces of dry ice in a empty plastic sode bottle and cap It. after a time the pressure will blow the bottle.

I walked up and put one i a trash can that a cop was leaning on.
scared the **** out of him when it went off.

All the cops found was the split bottle and no sign of how i did it.
I suspect they may never understand how it was done.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
never the less these 4 boys ages around 19 were expelled from college, how is that going to look on a resume? welcome to the police state of homegrown terrorists.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
And when their youtube vid hits the net and millions of teenyboppers and household experimentors start following suit with their own versions?

You know, like the whole mentos and diet coke thing, but potentially lethal?

Here? In America? Nah. No one would be that stupid.

Surely not.

top topics

join