It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ramen...Survival Food?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Would Ramen be a cheap, simple survival food? Me and a friend of mine recently finished preparations and now are focusing on food. I just wanted to hear some input from the infinitely wise ATS.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I think in a pinch for just calories and sodium it would do. Nothing long term, as pasta, especially ramen, has little or no nutrition.

But the thought has crossed my mind itself. But I have thought about stocking up on it just to supplement calories during lean times.

Besides, I like to eat it dry as a crunchy snack.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Empty calories but cheap and easy to store.
Just don't rely on them for nutrition.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Hell Yeah!!! It's cheap, easy to make, you just have to have some hot water, and tastes pretty good. Plus there is a wide variety of flavors. I have few multipack boxes stashed for bartering, giving away and eating.

link   

Originally posted by Zephyr-Chills
Would Ramen be a cheap, simple survival food?

Would be better than the hardtack you recently mentioned in a different thread.
Or the sprouts idea that was here awhile back, and certainly less painful than the 100 prunes a day diet that we mentioned last week.

As long term, yes, I think that stuff has a half-life rather than a shelf life. Calories would be good, there is some protein in there, but as a staple, not enough nutrients. If you were to combine ramen with spam and some fruit leathers, you could pull it off cheaply. Make sure you have plenty of water as ramen and spam have lots sodium.

link   
reply to post by Zephyr-Chills

spam it the man. it will last long after the nuclear winter, and you can make a sanwich out of it. What else could a man want?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I have several cases of it stashed back simply because it's light, filling and easy to move if you have to move fast.

Like whats already been said though, don't count on it to sustain you over a long period of time. If you have nothing else, have a stash of multi-vitamins to help.

That should keep you going till you can shoot a moose or something

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Think of Ramen for bartering for services.
Even if you don't personally like it or value it's nutritional content, it is a cheap and powerful bargaining tool if needs be.

Think about what someone else might do for you for a few packs of Ramen to feed his or her family.....

I hope no one has noticed the words I previously missed typing

[edit on 2-26-2009 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The nice thing about ramen is it's cheap.

Another nice thing about it is that there a ZILLIONS of ways to prepare it in order to make it an actual healthy meal.

Plain ramen - there's your salt and carbs.

Add some frozen veggies. Peas, corn, carrots, etc...to taste.

For the gourmets and cooks out there :

The Joy of Ramen Recipies!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
By itself it fills the belly and little more, but that alone can raise spirits especially damp and chilled from the weather.

That said, as a base to build on; it is great. Even adding an egg before finishing is a nutritional boast.As a side dish it streatch rations a bit longer even if all you have is some jerky and yes, hardtack bread.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
At the moment 24 pack boxes at Wally World are 3.60$
A definite staple for lengthening your food supply.
Just eat fruit and protein too.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
A bit "bulky" for me, I have some but prefer spaghetti noodles as the space to weight ratio is far better and it averages a dollar a pound or less depending if you get a good sale. Got a sh it ton of it when Kroger had a 2 for $1 special a few months ago.

You can get #10 cans of spaghetti sauce at GFS for $4.00 to go with it as well.

And don't forget the rice... it is cheap, easily stored and any soup, chili, hell almost canned "anything" can be put over it or mixed to make a meal.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Ramen?
It got me to thinkin'.

It might be a nice little comfort food for when your all hunkered down.
And, being a chef for 20 years, I always need to reinvent.

Fisrt, I'll say, I've never used the whole flavor packet anyho, way to salty, and the MSG is off the charts.

However....

Ramen and sun dried tomatoes.
Ramen with sliced beefed, venison, rabbit, squirrel, possum, etc. You name it, Yum!
If you're lucky enough to score an egg, ramen egg drop soup.
Ramen and wild asparagus, cattail shoots (Russian asparagus), or mustard greens.

Here in Wisconsin, farm fields are full of veggies the machinery didn't pick up, like corn, cabbage, peppers and soy beans. Wander into most any field post harvest til spring, and you're bound to score.

Ramen and corn, cabbage, red peppers and some edamame? Dang I'm getting hungry!

Don't forget all those canned and freeze dried veggies, as well as any fish you may be lucky enough to catch, and you're living large.

I'd put it in my Thermos right now and go for a hike, if I had some ramen.

Think I'll be hitting Sam's Club in the morning!

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
LMAO @ this thread!!!

I have 2 packs Ramen in my EDC bag!!!

You never know when the car might break down and the kids go to their default speech pattern..."I'm hungry"..."I'm hungry"..."I'm hungry"..."I'm hungry"..."I'm hungry"..."I'm hungry"..."I'm hungry"..."I'm hungry"

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I think I must be ignorant here, but what the hell is Ramen?

Is it called something else in the UK and/or Europe?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Instant noodles. Little packets that you can sometimes find in "all good supermarkets" for 9 pence each.

Other brands of noodles are available...

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

Okay, thanks for that.

Why dont they call them noodles then? ......... confusing!

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I never thought about using them as barter. I do have about 50 packs put away though. I figure in case if the kids ever start complaining about there hungry and you need something in a hurry it comes in handy. They are cheap as well. Alot of mine I buy when they have a really good sale on them. When there around 15 for $1. so yeah maybe it would be good as barter. I also make sure to have plenty of dry mac and cheese around. I always buy those packs up when there 6 for $1. I have about 20 packs of those put away in storage.

I never do Ramen noodles like others do, I always drain my noodles, then put butter then my flavor packet it makes it taste so much better. I prefer that over the soup way any day.

Ramen noodles, some dried meat, or some tuna, and maybe some fruit leather would make some great meals. I know my kids would fill there bellies up with the noodles.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

I suppose it's similar to calling a vacuum cleaner a Hoover.

Either that or it stems from that North American phobia of the letter "U".

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I wouldn't eat ramen uncooked. Dry pasta, especially low-quality dry pasta, can contain lots of parasites, worms, and other creepy crawlies. Most of the time, they are harmless to us, but they can sometimes do a lot of damage.

Especially in a survival situation, you wouldn't want to make yourself sick with your food.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join