It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History of Housing Prices Chart - *SHOCKING* You Need To See This!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
what an oversimplification.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Not Authorized

You have to admit that it would make one hell of a roller coaster at cedar point though. "The Dow Jones Industrial Average Wild Ride"! Lots of dips here and there, and one hell of a drop at the end! Wee!!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

It does make for a wild ride, the problem is that Roller Coaster is going up and down in an area with weak or non existent market support and nothing but the ground below you. You do not want to be playing games with the market while it's in this area.

They play these games to much, it will eventually crash right through and have a 120mph drop straight into a dark tunnel. You'll open with a crashed market, and say hello to S&P500 in the 250's before it's all over.

That happens a pretty big percentage of those in the S&P 500 goes bankrupt, or insolvent immediately. If you think the layoffs last year were bad, imagine that scenario.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
yeah, wow, Obama hasn't been in office a month, and you want to blame this huge economic crisis created by GW and the repubs on Obama, really pathetic.

We are where we are. So sending some money that the government has borrowed back to the U.S. instead of overseas is such a bad thing? The Raygun and bush debt are huge compared to what Obama is recommending for spending here in the U.S., and now you people raise a fuss. Outrageous.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

The Raygun and bush debt are huge compared to what Obama is recommending for spending here in the U.S., and now you people raise a fuss. Outrageous.

Could you elaborate on how much has been spent in the last month since Obama has taken office?

I know about the debts before..but i'm a bit fuzzy on what has been spent as of late.

Could you give me some info so I could compare and contrast?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
I am a drywall contractor in Florida and theres one thing Glenn forgets to metion. The houses in quailty of products in them and the square footage of the homes changed for earlier years. Builders when they found out that anybody could get a $300,000 or $400,000 home quit making the houses that were worth $100,000. The builders decided building a house for 10 or 20 percent at $100,000 didn't make since when both houses had the same turn around time. There was the get as much as you can as quick as you can befor the boom is over. Plus the higher priced houses being built led to other preexisting homes doing upgrades in order to look better and compare to the new neighbors house. Property values in general went up. But the biggest thing that drove up property was builders trying to buy up there next vacant lot for there next house. Plus the property gave them calateral for more projects.

Well you are right that is all true but it doesnt matter. When you no longer allow the fraud of giving everyone who breaths a loan than they cant afford the expensive houses, and the law of supply and demand will win out.

Basically the last 8 years the aggressiveness of the lenders was by far the most important reason for the home price increases - and it just wasnt a real increase in value. Reality has to and will return - people can only afford to pay so much for a home.

What is going to happen is the size of new houses being built is going to shrink again and all the mcmansions of the last 10 years might very well be able to be purchased for less than they cost to build.

As his chart shows 3.5 - 4 times average yearly income is historically what homes sell for and unless we as a country truly increase our wealth significantly (not likely anytime soon) this is not going to change.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Pardon me?

2 years of Democratically controlled congress (you know, the ones that make the budget)

He voted for the bailout before he was president.

He has come up with plans that double our deficit since in office.

He has come up with universal health care and education that we have NO WAY to pay for.

He was effectively president on November 4th. Since that time, now February 26th, nearly 4 months later NO plan for fixing the banks has been developed?

He is wanting to backstop AIG. That should end well.

Lets backstop Fannie/Freddie and put them on the govt books and DOUBLE our deficit over night. The treasury market should love that one.

He wants even more money for bailing out bankers.

He wants to nationalize the banks.

Mr Ethics runs into ethics problems hours after his executive order. That's bushes fault?

He came up and pushed the single largest spending bill EVER to go through congress, surpassing FDR's new deal.

He appointed the new TaxCheat Treasury Secretary. One of the main components of this housing fraud. The best guy for the job, is one of the best guys who played this fraud with everyone else.

And you want to give him a clean pass? No, I refuse to. He was elected to do a job, I demand he do so. It is his duty and obligation to the people of the United States.

I want him held accountable, along with all the other democrats and republicans in office. ENOUGH OF THE FINGER POINTING AND GARBAGE. He is president of the United States. He needs to man up and ACT like it.

I suppose you want to blame the 42 billion dollar deficit in California on Bush too -- oh wait, it's a Blue state and has been for quite some time.

Who again removed leverage limits that got us into this mess? Oh yeah, congress. Who wanted homes for all? Oh yeah, Clinton and Bush, and the jokesters in congress. What party was Maxine Waters from again, and is she president?

It's the same crap, different guy. All I've seen so far is lies lies lies.

Every minute he is in office that these bank fraudsters are NOT put in jail, that laws are not put into legislation either by executive order or petitioning congress to reinstate depression era regulatory standards, is squarely on HIS and this congress' shoulders.

Where again is the SEC investigations by the FBI? Oh wait, bush right?

Again, where is the congress hearings on this fraud? Oh wait, it's about what happened to the bailout money -- not why we are in this mess to begin with.

Do you think this crisis just came up overnight hours before his election? It's been known since at LEAST 2007 -- in a (D) controlled congress? Or is that to inconvenient for you?

Lets just ignore the fact of reports for congress while were at it. Did he not bother reading them?

The market reacts instantaneously to events TODAY -- not events of the past. What he does today effects the events today. The market has been MORE than patient with their money. HE controls the market today, and so does his actions. So the current market? YES, if it tanks it IS his fault.

I'm waiting and I will NO LONGER accept excuses by EITHER party.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by Not Authorized]

[edit on 27-2-2009 by Not Authorized]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
To the OP, I commend you. Glenn Beck is one of the most entertaining, yet informative, hosts to ever occupy the airwaves. There is nothing wrong with using him in your posts.

As for this situation, it is sad that even liberals can't see the path we are taking. This is a generation of entitlement. God forbid people be required to work for their reward. Now, the hard work of others is being shared. We might as well dispose of the Stars and Stripes on our flag and replace it with a Hammer and Sickle.

I'm very concerned about the end-around being attempted to silence people such as Glenn Beck. These idiots that wish people like him be silenced don't realize that they are foregoing the right to speak out for themselves too.

Starred and Flagged!

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by CreeWolf

If they try to pass a localization bill, think fairness doctrine, I think they should set up temporary locations and broadcast from DC.

Seeing how DC is a federal property they can air out all of DC's dirty laundry. And be within compliance of the law.

If there is a will there is a way.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

You are right Kinda,

What is more upsetting from these guys is the lack of professionalism they show when it comes to tell the truth.

They simply distort the truth to just bash our President.

It is a real pity what have become of our Journalists.

One more thing, they always fail to say that the greed of the financial institutions was so extreme that they doubled and in some cases tripled the finance charge and people that were paying lets say $800 for a mortgage monthly payment became $1400 at once from one day to the next.

So I just hate these guys and the way they defend these shark loaners when they have acted unscrupulously against us and no one seem to know that, or they pretend that they don't know.

What is happening in the USA is called EXCESIVE GREED.

That is what has destroyed this country, and it was possible to get this way because the previous government made sure to delete all possible regulations so the shark loaners could get us bankrupted.

Many of those politicians, in special the GOP come from wealthy families and they don't have the slightest idea of what it is to earn the bread of each day.

They as a matter of fact are so rich because they have the same MO of the corporations to exploit us in all ways possible, like doing the job of other 3 people, because the corporation needs to minimize costs. This reminds me that of course our benefits are disappearing too.

So we were being enslaved and no one seemed to care.

You guys who favor the GOP and the corporations just look around and see what has become of our country. We are getting close to be called a 3rd world country because our services don't work anymore, the roads are destroyed, the education has been deteriorated in a way that our kids are getting out of school almost illiterate, the buildings lack of maintenance, and everything is extremely expensive... Then I ask myself a question... what the hell were they doing with our taxes?

As far as I remember I was being taxed more than $1000/ 2 weeks

So what happened here?

Just think about it guys... We used to be the greatest nation in the world... now I doubt we get anywhere.

Regarding health care we are positioned as the No 37 in the whole world despite the fact that we spend the most money in the world in health care.

Why? ... Why is this happening?

Can't you remember that we only get to see our doctors for 15 minutes? So they don't cure illnesses anymore.. they just treat the symptoms.. And it is logical... If you got a healthy population you can't make money with medicines or treatments...

You all got to wake up guys and see what is going on.

We are letting them destroy us and later will be too late to do anything to stop it.

Think about it

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Just as soon as you demonstrate how after one month in office Obama is responsible for the last 8 years of economic disaster. This all began when the repubs took over congress in 95 and created the stock bubble followed by the real estate bubble.

The economy was already heading down the tubes befre the Democrats ever took over congress.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by branty

Actually they will give themselves pay cuts and reduce time spent at work and spend it with kids and family, and hence so goes the expected tax revenues and Obama's presidency, since it depends on rational planning and people can simply just behave irrational and screw up his plans, I have a feeling he will be a single termer unless he can create a gangster like mentality in his followers and fill their pockets with cash, but I suspect even these kids will wise up to this game if they ever wnat to make a decent living in life or a decent wage without the government wiping their backsides in order to create the outcome.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by bubbabuddha

I feel that is what is going to happen too. Why work for 250k a year if he is just going to take more. Not to mention with the economic downturn they are not going to be making as much money.

Obama is playing with fire and he is going to get burned.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
This is a famous graph by Robert Schiller of Case-Shiller home price index. It's adjusted for inflation, and shows how far home prices have inflated beyond normal. Home prices have to disinflate to mid-'90s prices (plus ~3% compound inflation) to be at their correct value. You can roughly figure out what a home should cost by it's rental value as well. In Silicon Valley $1M homes are renting for about $3,000, which is about a $500K value depending on the mortgage rate.

As far as an obligatory political opinion, the problem was regulated (SubPrime) into existence by a Republican Congress urged by Clinton, continued by inept Congress through Bush's watch, and made worse by blunders by the pathetically incompetent Obama/Pelosi/Geitner/Congress jackal pack who apparently are doing their best to monkeywrench the country in order to unleash a totalitarianism regime designed to save us from their own acts of sabotage.

(Click graph to enlarge)

[edit on 27-2-2009 by Dbriefed]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Remember Hope

Well of course we are not doing the right thing!?

There is nothing to see hear folks. Simple economics 101

Remember home prices rose artificially. Do you remember when the average person couldn't buy a home with his/hers income. Unless it was a loan for 100% of the mortgage? or maybe 105% of the mortgage loan even 120% of mortgage?

This all happened very quickly. Did your yearly wage rise as quickly? Unless you were very lucky the answer is no.

So where did all the extra income to the banks go? Extra as in the 20%-40%. Remember traditional loans?!? saving 20% as a down payment? hmmm I would bet a lot of in went directly back into the economy luxury items, premium services, ring a bell? Why did homes appreciate in value so suddenly?
Seems like someone got front ended a lot of money when you look at total home sales.

Any what your seeing in real estate is the marketing settling back to a normal range. Of course where the pain will come is when it reaches the unnatural bottom. When home prices climbed beyond the norm to reach an artificial high your bound to get a artificial low. What goes up must come down.

What is happening now is not necessarily a bad thing. Believe me if you bought and sold a house in the last 5 years you probably are not much better off. There are exceptions to every rule. so if you made out well good for you!

Why keep the fantasy alive? Let home prices fall so the american dream of REAL home ownership come true for ANYONE.

Support your local banks... If every man woman and child put an extra 5.00 a week in the bank. 300,000,000 million people ( well that we know of..) X $5.00 would that be? 1,500,000,000 1.5 BILLION dollars a week?

Hey its a start and it certainlly better for EVERYONE in the long run.

Don't panic, HAs ANYTHING good ever come from it? Prepared does not = panic.

Was I the only one that heard for years that personal spending was personal savings was down.

Did't personal savings go lower recently than DURING the GREAT DEPRESSION?!?

Now is the time it finally hits home... I guess the good news is we are closer to the end economic situation than the beginning. Well I am taking into consideration that I am talking to American's and Not Americant's.

And you wonder who is to blame for our current economic situation? YOU/ME/WE? yea I know personal responsibility a concept that is hard to grasp.

I found this quote useful. If one companies force other companies out of business its called competition. When companies force themselves out of business due to mismanagement its called a crisis?!? Go figure...

Oh this is not a DEM or REP thing. The Democrats pushed and pushed about housing for everyone. Its really hard to be against a nobel cause like that. The Reps gave in. That was mistake 1. The second Mistake is letting the Dem's let the Reps guard the hen house.. hen house = MONEY. Something should have be done like check and balances years ago.. Nobody did anything. We are feeling the pain today...

I wonder about "news" shows that say the government is going after YOUR guns or you might be thinking of buying guns NOW to 10's of millions of people.

Then report stories like

OH MY GOSH AMMO SHORTAGE,
Weapons are hard to find in places. Well of course it goes back to supply and demand and economics 101. I am sure gun and ammo producers were not expecting the rush. Honestly if we don't have enough guns and ammo can we just make more?!?. Sounds like a good business to be in.

Either these talking heads are too stupid to know what they are doing. Or they know exactly what they are doing. As for me I am still on the fence.

Remember bad news sells. Also remember Newspaper, Radio and TV ad spending is down. Thank you Internet.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Sorry but Glen Beck works for Fox... and anyone that thinks for 2 seconds that fox (no matter who the host) is not corporate controlled media (Propaganda) has fell off his/her proverbial rocker.

Come on ATSer's please put down the crack pipe (main stream media).

Then to see so many folks that actually watch this guy regularly is amazing to me. I seriously never heard of him until this thread.

wow
geezz
omg
unbelievable
sheep!

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Are you saying this data is somehow encapsulated in the graph? also what is the real legitimacy of the numbers in the spreadsheets? nothing is proven here, all of the textbook trends and economic theory are out the window now you can't get a room full of phd's to agree on the solutions nor the real causes, especially since changes in calculations, like GDP, real inflation and probably some other statistical figures that the government used to use and are as usual manipulated for their own good, and oh by the way didn't banks at one point print their own money and we pretty much know how much was in supply? I mean you take the Fed printing the endless supply of money, Wall Street thinking up schemes and stealing it, liars on the Hill and at United Nations using false intel to start wars and spending trillions at the same time taxes are getting cut my friend that is insanity, you have a perfect storm for disaster as we see, many of the policies of Clinton predate and were set in motion to occur naturally by law, hop on over to that thread about China and eminent domain, people are focusing on part of the cause as to why we are where we are and are willfully choosing to only see part of the truth and see what they want to and focus on what they want to.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by phinubian]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by phinubian

If you can figure out how the fed does it's accounting and explain it to me that would be wonderful, because as it stands I don't think anybody can understand it.

The fact of the matter is that graph is about inflation adjusted levels and what home prices did. It doesn't take into account how we got there or what policies it is just a simple graph showing where housing prices should be at. It takes the available information and applies it. It is that simple.

Where is the bottom? Who knows. It is just a baseline to show the severity of the problem. For all we know the bottom could be back to 40 thousand a home instead of 100 thousand.

The point of the whole thing is that we are screwed. As in I think anybody with two licks of sense can figure out that if we don't stop spending and reduce the size of government and let people keep their money and most importantly end the fed and transfer their duties to the treasury, the is no turning back.

I mean we can literally be looking at WWIII. It doesn't matter who caused it or how we got here. The fact is that we are here. That is all that matters at this point.

And even worse we have a president with a congress that are acting like a 15 year old kid that just got a credit card without a limit, and gets told go buy everything you have ever wanted.

Honestly I'm tired of the partisan bickering the fact is that all problems we have had for over a century was caused by either a democrat or a republican. They are both to blame.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Maybe this would be best in a forum of its own, but I doubt anyone would see it but it appears relevant to this discussion... so here goes.

blip.tv...

[edit on 27-2-2009 by bubbabuddha]

[edit on 27-2-2009 by bubbabuddha]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
it sure looks like a plan for socialism to me.. which I might admit may have some merit as we sure as hell aint accomplishing the things we ought to as it stands now are we..

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join