It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama to appoint senior Darfur envoy, says campaigner George Clooney

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Yep, George Clooney got the privilege of meeting Obama one on one to discuss Darfur. I guess there is nobody more experience or deserving to talk about Darfur than Clooney based on the 6 times he has visited the place. This all smacks of political payback.

The Barack Obama administration is preparing to appoint a "full-time, high-level" envoy to address the conflict in Darfur, according to the actor George Clooney, who met the president and Joe Biden in Washington on Monday to lobby them on the issue.

Clooney said Obama and the vice-president had told him the envoy would report directly to the White House, and would be appointed following a foreign policy review currently taking place "at the senior-most levels". "They assured me, and wanted to assure the rest – whoever else is listening – this is high on their agenda," he said. "This is a huge policy step for us."

www.guardian.co.uk...

on Jan 31, Clooney was made Messenger of Peace by the UN.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon enlisted George Clooney as a Messenger of Peace for his ability to raise awareness about critical issues.

The U.N. chief bestows the title of Messenger of Peace for an initial period of three years on prominent personalities willing to volunteer their time and talent to promote U.N.'s global peace efforts.

www.voanews.com... 7a

Darfur will be the test Biden was talking about for Obama.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Wow. A mindblowing 6 times. This administration has really lowered the bar on what they consider an expert in anything.

I think George might be gearing up to make a run for president himself. God help us if that ever came to pass.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This administration is a mother _______ joke.

Seriously, of all people George Clooney?

This is nuts. The world has to be laughing at us right now.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It all makes sense.

of all people they could find... no they need an "actor"

I wonder who the scriptwriter will be

Edit to add;

and I wonder if there will be a new Oscar award for this

[edit on 26-2-2009 by Grey Magic]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

I'm not sure about the Oscar, but I bet he'll be recognized for something. He's a celebrity after all. If they didn't get recognition for everything they do, they wouldn't know what to think.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
You guys are thing the same as I.

This is one big joke.

Obama getting involved in Darfur is not a joke.

I reckon 1 million dollars is the going price to meet with Obama one on one.

US actor George Clooney raised almost $1m for US presidential candidate Barack Obama by headlining an exclusive event for US citizens in Geneva, Switzerland.

Fresh from the world premiere of the Coen brothers' comedy 'Burn After Reading' in Venice, Mr Clooney slipped without fanfare into the Swiss city Tuesday night for his first appearance on behalf of the Democratic nominee.

Dressed in a black suit and tie, he signed autographs but did not comment as he squeezed his way past fans gathered in the narrow streets of Geneva.

www.rte.ie...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This is a complete and utter joke.George Clooney?! a situation as serious as darfur?...ive officially entered the twilight zone.How more ridiculous could this get

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

"I reckon 1 million dollars is the going price to meet with Obama one on one."

And to get something in return too. So if I have this straight, if I gave enough money, I might expect to be included in a special envoy somewhere even though I may not be the most logical choice? Or is it just for the celebrity types?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by soldiermom

I guess it is just one celeb taking care of another celeb.

Let's see

Angelina Jolie can represent Cambodia

Signora Weaver can speak for California

Sean Combs has New York interests.

Oprah can take care of Chicago needs.

Hell who needs experts when you have Celebs that know it all.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

It's somewhat unsettling to know that Hollywood has a direct line to the White House now. I'll have to pay more attention to who's whispering in his ear when it comes to celebrities.

edit - You forgot to add Brad Pitt for Louisiana and maybe Leo Decaprio(?) will get a czar-ship for environmental affairs.

[edit on 2/26/2009 by soldiermom]

new topics

top topics

join