It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did I Fry a Monitor? And How?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I have/ had dual monitors set up on my XPS...

Acer 24"

Samsung SyncMaster 22"

The Acer was the Primary..

I shut the power off to the Samsung for two days as I was not using it and today when I turned it back on I am getting a blink, then power off, blink power off etc about every 5 seconds..

The blink is momentary but I can see it is displaying the desktop during the blink, but then shuts right off..

Now before you ask, NO I did not change any settings from the time I shut it down to now..

It just keeps cycling on and off

??????

Semper

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
If it shows an image, even momentarily, I don't think it's "fried".

Did you shutdown the computer during the time you had the monitor turned off?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
If it behaves like this even after you've powered off everything and switched it back on again, then try to disconnect the monitor from the computer, and then power on the monitor when it's not connected to any computer. Most monitors will start a selftest when it's powered on without being connected.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Windows is a funny thing. Settings get changed for seemingly unknown reasons sometimes. Play with your settings again.

Anyway, maybe your video card is messed up? It's a possiblility.

Corrupted drivers are perhaps a possibility. Driver updates might be warranted as well.

Troy

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

It sound like the monitor is toast, try what Hellmutt said or can you plug it into another computer. Do you have two video cards in the system

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
sounds like the starter for your backlights has gone bad. they're much the same as a ballast is to fluorescents.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Looks like it is Toast...

Semper

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

You can check the backlight.
Take off the back panel of the monitor and have a light source behind.. window/lamp eg.

If you can see 'screen action' then it definitely is the backlighting.

I used a couple of small 'under-kitchen-cupboard' lights to get by when my laptop screen went bye bye till the new one was delivered and to transfer all work files to an external drive...
Then mashed it with a large hammer.:bash:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron

It sound like the monitor is toast, try what Hellmutt said or can you plug it into another computer. Do you have two video cards in the system

I think he said to unplug it and then turn it on disconnected, in order to induce a self-test

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Don't be too quick to assume the monitor is "toast".

Try changing the power settings in windows for that monitor output... many monitors check with your PC to see if they should be in standby. It could be that your PC is inadvertently telling your monitor there's no activity, and to go into power saving mode / standby.

Have you tried connecting that monitor to anything else?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

You can check the backlight.
Take off the back panel of the monitor and have a light source behind.. window/lamp eg.

If you can see 'screen action' then it definitely is the backlighting.

I've seen people use a very strong torch to diagnose a bust back light with the need for taking the back off - quite important if you want to get repaired under warranty! Basically it just involves booting up and trying many different shallow angles with the torch, usually getting you cheek on the screen to get the eye angle. Hopefully you should see some activity.

Although with the power light doing that flashing I'd say the problem lies else where.

top topics

join