It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Shuttle Columbia Sees a TIGER in the Indian Ocean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I could not find any reference to this story on the site, if there is an existing thread then delete this one or move it if its in the wrong place. Thanks.

Hi Guys, I found this interesting article today and thought it might be worth sharing. Now about that TIGER, TIGER is short for

Transient Ionospheric Glow Emission in Red

A picture of the TIGER

Full article here.

Fine? so what does that mean?

On the 20th January 2003 shortly before the shuttle was lost during reentry a Transient Ionospheric Glow Emission in Red was observed by the crew and recorded by an on board camera. The flash was in the near infrared and "the emission did not resemble any known class of luminous events, which typically appear in conjunction with thunderstorm activity". Ok now I'm interested.

They also stated that...

an extraterrestrial source of the event cannot be discounted

Ok a little sensationalist but to put it in context they made that statement after observing "meteor trails" two days later.

Well NASA have no idea what it is and for some reason they were not trying to deflect attention away from the event.

The researchers indicate that further space-based observations may be able to detect similar instances of such emissions and help to solve the mystery of its cause.

This happened years ago and no further information has been made available and I have found no updates yet.

I just want to put this out there and see what people think.

We know about the strange lights in the upper atmosphere and above as well as the numerous shuttle mission videos.

I am not making any assumptions about the cause.

If any one can contribute to the discussion then please do.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The picture is too small to make anything out of it, I could not get it bigger.
Is there a bigger picture somewhere?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I'm still looking for a better image but I found this.

We report an observation of an unusual transient luminous event (TLE) detected in the near IR, south of Madagascar above the Indian Ocean. The event was imaged from the space shuttle Columbia during the MEIDEX sprite campaign [ Yair et al., 2004 ]. It was delayed 0.23 seconds from a preceding visual lightning flash which was horizontally displaced >1000 km from the event. The calculated brightness in the 860 (±50) nm filter was ∼310 ± 30 kR, and the morphology of the emitting volume did not resemble any known class of TLE (i.e., sprites, ELVES or halos). This TIGER event (Transient Ionospheric Glow Emission in Red) may constitute a new class of TLE, not necessarily induced by a near-by thunderstorm. We discuss possible generation mechanisms, including the conjugate sprite hypothesis caused by lightning at the magnetic mirror point, lightning-induced electron precipitation and an extraterrestrial source, meteoric or cometary.

Found here

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I am closing this thread as there was an origional post on the subject but I have continued the topic in this thread as I could not find any information regarding the subject matter. Thank you.

top topics

join