It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Injured good Samaritan ticketed for jaywalking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Injured good Samaritan ticketed for jaywalking

news.yahoo.com

DENVER – A good Samaritan who helped push three people out of the path of a pickup truck before being struck and injured has gotten a strange reward for his good deed: A jaywalking ticket...

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Family members said 58-year-old bus driver Jim Moffett and another man were helping two elderly women cross a busy Denver street in a snowstorm when he was hit Friday night...

...Moffett had been driving his bus when the two women got off. In the interest of safety, he got out and, together with another passenger, helped the ladies cross...

...Moffett suffered bleeding in the brain, broken bones, a dislocated shoulder and a possible ruptured spleen. He was in serious but stable condition Wednesday....

I don't really know what to say about this.
I'm disgusted, thats for sure.

Thoughts?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I really hope that the police officer that gave the ticket did so for some really really good reason.

My guess is though, it helped make his quota.

What has the world come to???

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Wow, that is just terrible. Two guys help old ladies cross a busy street. They push the old ladies out of dangers way and the bus driver takes the hit instead. The two guys get ticketed for jay-walking.

Disturbing. Stuff like this is only going to cause people to think twice before helping others out because they will be concerned whether or not they will get in trouble.

If the bus driver didnt help we very well could have two dead women on our hands here....Is that really what they want?

I just hope this doesnt discourage people from helping others out...

Im just disgusted. if those two guys hadnt been there those old ladies would have been hit!

They should be earning medals for saving two peoples life not a ticket for jay-walking.

what a terrible lesson the ticketing officer is teaching these two men and lots of people who have heard of this. Help people out and get punished!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Moffett had been driving his bus when the two women got off. In the interest of safety, he got out and, together with another passenger, helped the ladies cross.

Two ladies got off the Bus, and began to jay-walk.

Two other men got off the bus and began to jay-walk with them.

A truck almost hit them...

Duh... don't jay-walk. They all deserve tickets.

Family members said 58-year-old bus driver Jim Moffett and another man were helping two elderly women cross a busy Denver street in a snowstorm when he was hit Friday night.

Jesus... people are retarded. What a bunch of MORONS.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician

Moffett had been driving his bus when the two women got off. In the interest of safety, he got out and, together with another passenger, helped the ladies cross.

Two ladies got off the Bus, and began to jay-walk.

Two other men got off the bus and began to jay-walk with them.

A truck almost hit them...

Duh... don't jay-walk. They all deserve tickets.

Family members said 58-year-old bus driver Jim Moffett and another man were helping two elderly women cross a busy Denver street in a snowstorm when he was hit Friday night.

Jesus... people are retarded. What a bunch of MORONS.

Indeed. What type of moron would risk their life to save another?
How foolish!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
And now for a conspiracy angle..

Is there any connection, social or otherwise, between the pickup driver and the officer who issued the ticket? And would the issue of a jaywalking ticket affect the outcome of any lawsuit filed by any of the injured parties?

Just wonderin'...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Not sure why this would cause anyone to take note,when the added video is far more disgusting at the current state of moral issues.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Too bad the bar wasn't full of Portuguese football fans, or it might have looked like this

youtube vid

[edit on 26-2-2009 by g raj]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

Thanks for reminding me why I made you a foe...

If you read the article, the truck driver was cited for "careless driving that led to injury."
SOOOOO, looks like it was his fault, not the jaywalkers fault.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
Not sure why this would cause anyone to take note,when the added video is far more disgusting at the current state of moral issues.

There's always something worse. I could find something worse than that video you showed. They are ALL worthy of taking note.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
The officer said he gave the guy a ticket because his jaywalking contributed to the accident.

Why were the two old ladies jaywalking in the first place - because the first guy told them it was okay to cross the road where traffic had the right of way?

To me it sounds like the officer was justified in handing a ticket to both guys - I'm not so sure about the old ladies. But the driver of the truck also got a ticket for wreckless driving.

But screw it, let's ignore facts and continue to sensationalize this story all to hell based on mis-information like the media is doing.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by sos37]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I just try and put myself in the man's situation.
There was no word that he told the old ladies to cross the road, but he did help.
Now lets say you, or me, helped these ladies cross the road and you got hit by the truck saving their lives and severely injuring yourself. You wake up in the hospital with broken everything.
You feel good for saving their lives, and that you alive, but the medical costs (especially on a bus drivers salary) put you down a little. Oh, and by the way, heres a ticket for jaywalking.

Lets ignore that fact that he was Jaywalking and look into the morality of the situation. If it was just him crossing the street and he got hit, yes, give him the ticket. But I believe it is ETHICALLY unjust in this situation where two woman's lives were saved. Thats all. He wasnt doing it for himself, he was doing it to help two old ladies cross a dangerous street in a snowstorm.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy
reply to post by logician magician

Thanks for reminding me why I made you a foe...

If you read the article, the truck driver was cited for "careless driving that led to injury."
SOOOOO, looks like it was his fault, not the jaywalkers fault.

Careless driving, as in the driver almost hit the jaywalkers.

Drivers are supposed to be more careful. People are not supposed to jaywalk.

Obviously, you lack what is required to understand the situation.

top topics

join