It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi throws cold water on weapons ban

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Pelosi throws cold water on weapons ban

thehill.com

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tossed cold water on the prospect of reinstating the assault weapons ban, highlighting Democrats’ reluctance to take on gun issues.

Attorney General Eric Holder raised the prospect Wednesday that the administration would push to bring back the ban. But Pelosi (D-Calif.) indicated on Thursday that he never talked to her. The Speaker gave a flat “no” when asked if she had talked to administration officials about the ban.

“On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now,” Pelosi said at her weekly news conference. “I think it's clear the Bush administration didn’t do that.”

Outside of the dig at the recent Republican president, that phrase is the stock line of those who don’t want to pass new gun control laws, such as the National Rifle Association.

The White House declined to comment on Holder's remarks, referring reporters to the Department of Justice. The DoJ did not respond to The Hill's request for comment.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I can't believe it. I actually agree with Pelosi on something.

She's actually right! Maybe she's not as dumb as I thought she was. Eric Holder is from the old days where Democrats used to ban assault weapons. I guess he doesn't recognize how more people NOT just Republicans are growing angry over how the government wants to take the rights away and they are using only a small group of violent people to justify their actions.

I used to be anti-gun rights but I've changed my stance since I've realized how essential it is for guns to be in a free society. You don't need guns per say but you need to have the right to have guns if the government becomes too tyrannical. It is my theory that Eric Holder was just making an excuse earlier to try to expand the government's power more. I'm glad Pelosi was quick on this one.

thehill.com

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It's nice to hear but having heard it before and then seen a ban grown out of it with at least 4 more years to go the threat is plenty alive.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I must say I never thought I'd agree with anything this woman had to say about guns. It sort of worries me to tell you the truth. Something must be up.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
First, the NRA's a sham. Second, I don't trust anything this lady says. She's probably just getting some free PR out of the deal.

Peace

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
First, the NRA's a sham. Second, I don't trust anything this lady says. She's probably just getting some free PR out of the deal.

Peace

Yes, I agree with both, especially the NRA being a sham. They have done more to limit our rights then they have to preserve our rights, it isnt a give and take, it is a right that we should give no ground on.

This scares me more then it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. They have something bigger on the horizon and dont want to get the hive buzzing before they get a little more control. It is time to go to code red, constant state of awarness, lock and load.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by dlongwell547]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It is interesting that you guys have brought up the NRA. I was having a conversation with a friend of mine the other day about this.

My grandfather was a a member of the NRA, and my step dad was for a while, but I remember my step dad saying something along the lines of what you have said. He quit paying his dues and backed out of the membership.

Do you guys have anything to link here that talks about the idea that the NRA is a sham, or that they have hurt gun ownership more than helped?

I think that is a good topic for this site, considering it WOULD be an NRA conspiracy.

Got any links or proof?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by treemanx

It's not necessarily a "conspiracy" persay, but organizations like that get infiltrated, and over time a lot of the funding that goes to them comes with an under the table deal that 'they' get the guy they want to lead the organization.

Just par for the course.

Peace

[edit on 26-2-2009 by Dr Love]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by treemanx
It is interesting that you guys have brought up the NRA. I was having a conversation with a friend of mine the other day about this.

My grandfather was a a member of the NRA, and my step dad was for a while, but I remember my step dad saying something along the lines of what you have said. He quit paying his dues and backed out of the membership.

Do you guys have anything to link here that talks about the idea that the NRA is a sham, or that they have hurt gun ownership more than helped?

I think that is a good topic for this site, considering it WOULD be an NRA conspiracy.

Got any links or proof?

You might want to create a new thread for that discussion and keep this one on track with the original content which is the House Majority Leader doing a 360 on Holder on an issue that is typically enacted when the Dems take office. I'm not a mod, just sayin' so you don't get your post wiped is all.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
In 9% Nancy's ideal world, she'd ban everything down to BB guns from the public. The only reason she's supposedly opposed to an AWB right now is for political expediency. She knows that if she and the Congressional Dems supported it, they'd all be looking for work following the 2010 mid-terms.

That said, even if her reasons aren't the right ones, I'll take it.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Yeah, I see what your saying Dr Love. But does any proof exsist of this?

I have noticed that to get a membership to any gun range in my area, they require you to be a member of the NRA. Now, I dont really see all the fuss about shooting in a range, Id rather go up into the hills and shoot like I have my whole life, or just set targets at my house. But I find it interesting that the ranges would have it set up that way.

I know Ill never be a paying member of the NRA, thats for sure.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I dont see this as being off topic. It relates to gun ownership and shooting.

edit for speeling!!

[edit on 26-2-2009 by treemanx]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Something is really wrong.

I don't trust four "Things" in this country right now.

The Wicked Witch of the East - Clinton

The Wicked Witch of the West - Pelosi

The Wicked Witch of the Middle Earth - Sebelis

The holy Onointed One - Obama

Nothing but lies out of any of these lips.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Don't believe it! She is just trying to make us think it won't really happen. Like she will ever disagree with Lord Obama

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Pelosi isn't dumb.

Americans are already PO'ed about all the money they are spending. Add in the gun issue and you will see a Republican led Congress in 2010, something she doesn't want to happen.

If Dems keep control in 2010, Congress will bring up the gun ban.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by jam321]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Ok...oxygen...oxygen...breath....where am I at?...What place and time is this?

In all seriousness I don't trust that bat as far as I can throw her. She probably read the currents of public opinion and sided on self-preservation.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
THis is a classic response by Pelosi. She and Holder are playing the age old Good Cop/Bad Cop routine. As it was stated by another poster, she is just playing games up until the 2010 election cycle.

We knew it would come from Holder but Pelosi certainly through a curve ball.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

I can't believe it. I actually agree with Pelosi on something.

She's actually right! Maybe she's not as dumb as I thought she was. Eric Holder is from the old days where Democrats used to ban assault weapons. I guess he doesn't recognize how more people NOT just Republicans are growing angry over how the government wants to take the rights away and they are using only a small group of violent people to justify their actions.

I used to be anti-gun rights but I've changed my stance since I've realized how essential it is for guns to be in a free society. You don't need guns per say but you need to have the right to have guns if the government becomes too tyrannical. It is my theory that Eric Holder was just making an excuse earlier to try to expand the government's power more. I'm glad Pelosi was quick on this one.

thehill.com

she always blames bush for everything. I think she forgets that the north hollywood shoot out happened UNDER clinton and WHILE the assault weapon ban was in place. good job pelosi, go get another face lift at our expense

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I can't believe it. Pelosi is a libiral Democrat from calif and they have tried to ban everything.

She must be getting a lot of mail from gun owners and is worried about getting reelected even though it will not change the weapons ban in calif.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I can't believe it. Pelosi is a libiral Democrat from calif and they have tried to ban everything.

They sure have. It is clear political expedience.

This issue keeps coming up as if there is some pressing reason to consider curtailing 2nd amendment rights. Well there are NO pressing issues save for the wicked constitution hating government that presses for their own reasons.

They slowly pound it into our heads, over time, into our subconscious mind that its an inevitability "we'll have those guns". Guns bad, guns bad, guns bad.

This latest great american ripoff was a test run. Ammunition and gun sales are off the hook. They talk like "whats wrong with you people"?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join