It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a hypothetical situation for all atheists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

i read ats on a daily basis and find it shocking the amount of christian debunking threads appear. for all those atheists out their think of this.

hypothetical situation 1

if me (and other Christian's) are wrong and their is no god ...Jesus etc, then we have still hopefully spent our lives helping others and being loving and true.

end result we die nothing more. we (hopefully) had a good impact on the people we did share life with while here though.

hypothetical situation 2

if atheists are wrong and their is a god.. Jesus our lord etc,
as an atheist you would have never accepted Jesus as your savior and the way to heaven and eternity in gods glory. no mater how much good you did during your life.

end result you die. then the whole spending eternity in the void (hell) under constant torture of your soul.

hypothetical situation 3 (now this is the more important)

if on your death bed you felt god's presence (trust me you would instantly know the feeling of every cell in your body emanating love)

christian or atheist. if you then called for gods help and for jesus to cleanse your sins. even though you wouldn't be a born again christian for very long. (might even get this chance again after death who knows) you would be accepted and live in eternal heaven.

so would you as an atheist go against everything you believed in life to save yourself. i doubt if anyone would chose hell in a situation like that.

witch brings me back to the first 2 hypothetical situations.

if atheists are right it makes no difference to anyone.

if Christians are right...... well that makes a lot of difference.

fell free to flame away im half expecting it. but truly what would you do if on your death bead you found you where wrong all along.

and remember this is a hypothetical. so try and visualize the situation i set. im not trying to offend anyone. just to get some brain cells fired into the "what if"

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jericanman

Hypothetical Situation 4:

You actually think for yourself, rather than start a thread that MAY help reaffirm your own beliefs...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I can't get past your situation 1 . What makes christians so more loving and kind than the rest of mankind ? If I have to answer my door to a missionary I will never get that two minutes or so back . Your smugness is astounding . Do you really believe non christians are just going around doing bad deeds ? Your whole life is hypothetical. leave us to get on with ours .

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
why do you assume all the bashers are atheists?

sorry but that statement right there stopped me from reading any further.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

if me (and other Christian's) are wrong and their is no god ...Jesus etc, then we have still hopefully spent our lives helping others and being loving and true.

I assume from that hypothesis that only christian acts of good will count. So your hypothesis is a tad bit biased toward the religious end. You've bascially provided yourself a "win win" situation regardless of said hypothesis.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by griffinrl]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
What if Christian's are wrong, and Islam or Judaism is right? What if all of them are wrong but there still is a God and he doesn't care what religion you were and loves you anyways?!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
What will you Christians do if you find yourselves riding the WHeel of Karma instead and have to face for music for all that the genocide, murder, perpetuated ignorance, sexual abuse, embezzling, and so on perpetuated in "Jesus's Name?" No "blood of the savior" to get you out of it this time!"

See, this can work two ways.

And I agree, it is very condescending to assume that everyone who questions Christianity is incaple of faith or religious thoughts, therefor must be Athiest.

I look at it this way, if God exists and he has half the power he's credited with, he will be able to know the difference between someone who denied him because they wanted to getout of moral boundaries and someone who just didn't think a specific dogma made sense.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Hypothetical situation #777

You are an atheist who has spent his/her life in a very positive manor. You have had a great impact on the people that you have come in contact with. You are a good and loving person. You have made the world a better place.

You die and find yourself in the presence of a loving god and that loving god welcomes you into heaven, not because you worshiped at a particular church but because your have led a generous and wonderful life.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
jericanman it's my opinion that you started your "hypothesis" with some sort of understood belief that you posess some higher moral purpose or ideals than others due to your christianity. If I read your thread correctly then you impose levels that those of us who are not believers must climb just to start out on equal ground with you.

I'm not an athesit but I'm no believer in christianity either. Nor do I think that christians stand on any higher moral ground than anyone else.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Well said. I believe that if God does exist, he would actually prefer a nice athiest over a christian who kissed his ass for their own desire to make it into heaven.

edit - It almost sounded rude the first way I stated it.

[edit on 2/26/2009 by Curious_Agnostic]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

How about this? You do as you stated in your post and then find yourself in front of a "loving" god who banishes you to hell and suffering for all eternity because you weren't a member of some kind of club.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
#4 - God made man clever and free, the devil invented religion to cause war and stop people being good people (turned them into gay hating, woman beating, child stoning, close minded, anti intellectual nut jobs. Anyone who followed the devils false religion gets soul deleted while those who managed to think for themselves develop into higher beings and get to play on level 2.

#5 - No god, you die and sleep forever your brain still fizzing away on dimension 7 thinking about your life -having a good life and being happy with yourself is the only thing which really matters in the end weather or not you wasted time preying, bible reading, etc

#6 - No god, the soul when free of the earthly body which acts like a chrysalis may be able to rise up and roam the universe but only if through free thinking, exploration and self understanding it has grown strong enough - those poor souls who got trapped on earth in the glut of rigid thinking who purposely closed their mind to anything but an old book, those that didn't find the physical joys of life, etc slip and fall through the earth and end up stuck in the molten steel core of our earth until they can sort their head out and dump all the mental bagage which is keeping them stuck in their hell.

Hehe i could go on, i think statisticswise it's now leaning back towards not believing in god... My real point is that this use of a false choice is not a good way to look at the issue, it's not like a fifty fifty YOUR god is real or isn't, what avout Shiva, quetzacoatle, Thor, Ra, Mythra? What if you get to heaven and St peter says, oh a catholic sorry you ruined it all by saying jesus is god, you aren't supposed to worship false idols...

Believe in your god because you want to, not because you think it's safer statisicly, it isn't.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by griffinrl

By definition, a loving god, will not banish someone to hell for eternity because they didn't worship correctly.

If you spend your weekend planting trees, isn't that worship.
If you spend your weekend helping someone make their life better, isn't that worship.

If you spend your life raising a family that helps make the world a better place, isn't that worship.

Or does worship just consist of attending your particular sect of a particular religion?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

bob I was just adding my own addendum to your hypothesis
But I've been told time and time again someone like Ghandi is burning in hell right now due to the fact that he wasn't christian. I honestly do believe that devoutly religious people consider membership into their own particular sect a mandatory condition for salvation.

I was raised in a fundamentalist pentecostal household so I can relate personally to that particular mindset.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Hey Jericanman , here is a hypothetical question for you - if you were born in Iran to Iranian parents would you be a christian now ?
We are all in one little club . The lucky sperm club . no more , no less .

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jericanman

hypothetical situation 1

end result we die nothing more. we (hopefully) had a good impact on the people we did share life with while here though.

so if you wernt reliegous there is no posible way YOU could be nice to people and help them ..... ?

without religeon making you do good you would do bad by choice?

hypothetical situation 2

if atheists are wrong and their is a god.. Jesus our lord etc,
as an atheist you would have never accepted Jesus as your savior and the way to heaven and eternity in gods glory. no mater how much good you did during your life.

end result you die. then the whole spending eternity in the void (hell) under constant torture of your soul.
owe noes its a do it just incase you go to hell by accident dealio

sorry if your god would rather someone who believed just in case and lived a crappy life, to someone who lived a good life and asked for more evidence then your god is neither loving caring or forgiving ... just an egomaniac on a power trip

hypothetical situation 3 (now this is the more important)

if on your death bed you felt god's presence (trust me you would instantly know the feeling of every cell in your body emanating love)

christian or atheist. if you then called for gods help and for jesus to cleanse your sins. even though you wouldn't be a born again christian for very long. (might even get this chance again after death who knows) you would be accepted and live in eternal heaven.

so would you as an atheist go against everything you believed in life to save yourself. i doubt if anyone would chose hell in a situation like that.

so if i was terminally ill my body was shutting down my body starts having wierd feelings would i then suddenly go ahh sod it may a well what have i got to loose ill be a half assed friend of jesus it might just save my ass from where made up in the 4th century ... would i do it .....

if you paid attanetion to your bible the unbelivers death isnt hell and eternal torment its death and then nothing ... and as thats what most athiest end up beieving as the evidnece for any after life i scetchy at best then wheres the problem?

show me evidnece of jesus and god and if its real evidence and in th slightest bit compelling thewn most of the worlkds athesist will happily convert

present us with pascals wager nonsense where you think ome kind of divine bieng will favour a half assed believer over an honest sceptic ... then your god a clown not worth oif bieng called god and what does that say about your faith? is death really that scarry for you that this is why you cling to it just in case?

Pascals wager it was idiotic 500 years ago and its still idiotic now

hey guess what you lying there close to death and you fell this awesome precense and thi voice says ' hi im Allah im the real divine bieng you got it a bit wrong with that whole jesus son of god stuff he was just a friend of mine i asked to pass on my message'

would you instantly convert?

pacals wager only takes 2 possabilities into consideration my god or no god

NEWS FLASH theres lots of gods people believe in

and they all pretty much say the same thing believe in me alone or your screwed, and well they all have exactly the same ammount of evidence ... a book ..

so if it turns out your wrong your really screwed you believed in the wrong one and denied all the others, me i just said hey wheres the evidence for any of them?

so does you version of god thinks its better to forgive and accept a coward who only believei in him on the off chance he might spend eternity in some magical land, over accepting and forgiving good man who asked for honest evidence before he makes a choice ?

if the answer is yes then what does that imply for the thing you call a god and worship?

if the answer is no you just answered your own questions

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by griffinrl

That's what I was trying to get at in my responses to your post.

I don't think that there is one right religion or set of religious beliefs.

If you look into a number of religions you might find an underlying theme.

I think that throughout mankind's existence there have been a number of individuals who we can refer to as enlightened beings. This list would include Jesus.

If you try to live your life by the teachings of Jesus, you might just find yourself leading a wonderful life.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Can I get an Amen for Wildbob?

Hello?

Beuler? Beuler?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jericanman

And then you wonder why you encounter so much opposition from the "atheists".

if atheists are wrong and their is a god.. Jesus our lord etc, as an atheist you would have never accepted Jesus as your savior and the way to heaven and eternity in gods glory. no mater how much good you did during your life. end result you die. then the whole spending eternity in the void (hell) under constant torture of your soul.

And that's what it all boils down to in your religion, it doesn't matter if you are a good soul, you just have to obey and worship your god or you will be doomed forever.

Sounds like a dictatorship to me.

To me, living in such a mindstate would be the real hell.

Here this, lol:

So what is this? Is this the answer you have for all the debunker atheists?

When threatened with eternal doom and torture, even the biggest atheist will accept god's will, and therefore your religion must be true.

Your post just is a prime example of why Christianity is getting so much flak.

It's just filled with arrogance, shortsightedness, tunnelvision, fear, manipulation, ignorance etc.

But, off course, you're just a victim, a righteous man, in a world full of heathens.

Because, there are only Christians, and heathens, and the heathens will burn in hell for all eternity.

Must be crowded there.

[edit on 26/2/09 by enigmania]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Because, there are only Christians, and heathens, and the heathens will burn in hell for all eternity.

I hope I bought enough hotdogs for everyone

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join