It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

going to south korea????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
hmmm.
been thinking about this again.
a long while back i used to talk to this girl that lived in south korea. we met on the net and she eventually flew here to see me and we spent 17 pretty insane days together. we drove to florida and wrecked hotel rooms. then she went back and never talked to me again.
anyway she is/was native korean but she was an english teacher and she said that it is pretty easy to get work over there teaching english if you are a native english speaker.
well, i am a native speaker and can be pretty proper when i need to be and i have often thought about it. i think i could do it.
i love the culture. i love the girls. i love that it is not here next to everything that i hate....

the only downside is my son is here. if i go to korea i would obviously never see him. i get to see him pretty often now but not as often as i would like cause his mom keeps him pretty busy...

i am at a loss.
is this something i should look into seriously or should i can it cause of my boy?
what do you all think?

would be nice though....a tall american dude in a sea of fantastic asian women. kim chi all day long...bulgogi for dinner....man i am salivating....

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Just a thought - could you get work nearer to home teaching English to immigrant communities or foreign students?

At least if you tried it, you'd know if you had an aptitude for it and whether or not you enjoyed it before you moved so far away.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by berenike]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
This is good!

Your thinking about the unlimited future possibilites! That's a good step from your depression in my opinion.

I have also thought about going to stay in Japan or south Korea for a while, it's on my list of things to do one day, just for a while.

Korean girls are great too, the girls I have met have had some very interesting fun personalties, be careful thou, it's hard not to fall in love with these girls, don't get you heart broken
I also love korean movies!

I say you research all the things before you go, for example how do other foreigners feel there, I've heard that a lot love it more than their home. But just make sure you understand more about their culture, and possible dangers of any racism etc.

Like you said your son is the only problem.

I say you can do it, as long as you remember to always keep in contact with your son, and go see him whenever possible! Holidays etc, even invite him over.

But I don't know your son, it could be hard for your son, he might think you don't love him etc. So if you do decide to go, make sure you have a good long conversation with him, remind him you will always love him and see him all the time.

It's complicated, and I'm not you, so I don't know. But I think it's a great thing that your focusing on the future and not the past! Keep it up.

Peace.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Go there man. Asia rules, I am in China now. Koreans are probly my favourite AZNs

Why would going to Asia mean you never saw your son again? You could make videos every day and send them to him. Send him a packet of strange trinkets every week. It would be an awesome gift for him. Talk on the phone. If you are depressed and jobless in America you'll be no use to him anyway.

As for the depression: Try MMS.

I teach English, I'll try and answer questions if I can...

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I was in Korea for 18 months in the military.
Had a great time.
Good people, good food, pretty country.
It might be a good way to get out of your funk.
Sometimes the geographical solution helps.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Korea is nice- I was there in the military, as well. I would not go back if I had to leave my child, however. There is nothing so important in another country that I would leave my child. There is no man good enough to separate me from my child, and no promise of all the hot men in the universe in one place would entice me to move there and leave my child behind. I am surprised this is even a dilemma- it shouldn't be.

new topics

top topics

join