It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chat Is Offline Due To Stoner Idiots

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I've taken our ATS Chat down for the foreseeable future, due to an inundation of stoner druggie talk late last evening, and into this morning.

And frankly, this is what really pisses me off and causes me to believe there is no solution.

Chat is a live environment that we can't always monitor. The immature antics of a few members who noticed a lack of moderators logged into chat have ruined it for all. This happened some time ago with sexual chats, and now today with druggie nonsense.

We make no money from chat. In fact, it costs us a monthly fee to maintain. To see some member purposefully trample on the free service we provide is exceptionally frustrating to the point of anger.

I have no idea when or if we'll decide to revive chat.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I am appalled by these stoner people. Please keep your drug talk to your friends. This is a conspiracy website. Thank You Very Much!

Edit: Let me clarify... Productive talk of drugs is okay. When it involves, "OMG DUDE I AM SO HIGH!!!!!" No thank you.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

So basically what you are saying is that because you dont make any money on chat and the conversations seemed to offend your delicate sensibilities you have discontinued it. Is that the jist of it. Awesome, this website just keeps getting better and better..... Free speech is rapidly going the way of the dodo,even on the Web.
Maybe you should create a list of what we CAN talk about here.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by spookjr]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Wow, how...facist of you.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I understand your frustration with this, and as much as some members may value chat....

I say cut it out permanently, at least for regular members.

I think it could still serve a valuable purpose for moderators and staff, but it's too difficult to patrol otherwise.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by spookjr

So basically what you are saying is that because you dont make any money on chat and the conversations seemed to offend your delicate sensibilities you have discontinued it. Is that the jist of it. Awesome, this website just keeps getting better and better..... Free speech is rapidly going the way of the dodo,even on the Web.

My thoughts exactly.

2nd

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
This site is privately owned and provided free of charge.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you aren't entitled to free speech here.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Skep, as a stoner NON idiot, I understand all the crappulence going on and your reaction to it.
I will continue not being a stoner idiot anywhere on ATS.

One of the stoner geniuses,
Cuhail

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I've never actually used the chatroom here myself, but what's the big deal. Instead of closing it down, which is unfair for other members, why don't you simply ban the people who don't follow the rules.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
What about "chat only mod's"? members in good standing who would monitor the chats when reg mods arn't there? just a thought.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Chat's usually fine. I think everyone's testy right now. Maybe after a few weeks it will be back to normal.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
And banning the offending users from chat wasn't an option?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I've taken our ATS Chat down for the foreseeable future, due to an inundation of stoner druggie talk late last evening, and into this morning.

And frankly, this is what really pisses me off and causes me to believe there is no solution.

I have no idea when or if we'll decide to revive chat.

Revive the chat, but only make it available for members above... 10,000 points or 20,000 or however many points.

Points are earned and represent an investment of time by any given member, so it is much more likely the people who have put in more time in are more dedicated to preserving their membership etc...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This site is getting ridiculous in my opinion. Every time I log in, I've got a new message telling me what I can't do and what I can do. Rules are important to keep things in check, but it seems ATS is hell bent on turning this place into a sterile environment just because of a small minority.

This website doesn't seem like a very happy place any more. It's all getting a little bit serious, which is a bit worrying In my view. This place should be a fun place to come, a place to have a laugh and have a good debate.

In my opinion, over the last two years, things have changed. There have been some improvements, mainly of how the place looks and performs, and I applaud them improvements, but there's far too much moderation and rules.

That's just my opinion. I do think this is an excellent site and I do hope you don't take this post the wrong way.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by paul76]

link   
People need to quit crying "free speech". You want free speech? Than go start a website, and pay the bills to upkeep it. These rules aren't here because "the amigos are just too sensitive". They are in place too keep other members on the site.

Say you start a whole bunch of drug talk, your personal use and such, and they let it slide. As a result, it gets filtered and a whole group of people are no longer able to access the boards. That is the issue.

You want "free speech" at the cost of other members and guests not being able to view the site itself. IMO, that is just selfish. There are plenty of places to take that kind of discussion, without ruining somebodies experience on ATS.

Now as for chat, why can't you just ban the members that abused it? If they were talking about drug use, just ban them, at the very least, from chat. Many of us use chat in a very constructive manner, and it would be very disappointing to lose such a key feature which enables members to create closer ties.

I have had many times where a member I did much get along with came into chat, and we settled out differences in real time. I've also had chat enable me to create some very good friends.

I think there are always better solutions to problems than blanket policies, they just require a little more effort. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

link   
reply to post by mental modulator

There are a lot of "Stoner Idiots" with a lot of points.
Gah.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by -NewSense-
Wow, how...facist of you.

How many times have you idiots been told!!!! Holy,jumping,Jesus Christ!!! If drugs are not pertinent to a discussion, DON'T EVEN MENTION THEM!!!! HOW HARD IS THAT FOR LUGHEADS TO UNDERSTAND!!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by paul76

Well, if it's of any consolation, SO and other members are trying to figure out a way around removing drug related issues period. However, whatever they decide, there is going to have to be some cooperation from members. Something which they have yet, regarding this issue, to receive.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

I'd star this 20 times if I could. Well put. Sort of getting tired of stoners being classified as idiots.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I haven't used chat before but I would like to know what the big deal here is with drugs really? I understand that people are sensitive to these subjects and the chat can't be monitored all the time, but isn't it like that with chats everywhere already? Couldn't it just be as simple as using an Ignore button for the person feeling offended to hit so they don't have to hear it, or better yet even a "kick" button for people who offend a larger group that can have a vote put out and the user banned for the room for a temporary amount of time? There has to be a better solution other than just shutting down chat completely that is just inconsiderate to people who use it in a honest fashion...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join