It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldier Refuses To Return To Iraq For Immoral Duty

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Soldier Refuses To Return To Iraq For Immoral Duty

www.truthed.com

WBAY’s Adam Aaro reported talked to a Wisconsin soldier who says he is refusing to return to Iraq on the grounds that is immoral. Christopher Walker has been a soldier with the Army since 2002. “Early this morning, I made a decision not to go back to Iraq,” Walker told Aaro.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

The way AWOL Iraq vet Kyle Snyder sees it, "The GI resistance was one of the main things that ended the Vietnam war, and it's going to be a very important part of ending the one we're in now."

www.alternet.org...

If soldiers refusing to fight ended the Vietnam war, then perhaps the same mindset can end this illegal war.

I see this guy as a hero, and he is definately on the right path.

It's a shame that so many americans insult such people who have a conscience, but hey at least Canada is welcoming them right?

www.truthed.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
It's a shame that so many americans insult such people who have a conscience, but hey at least Canada is welcoming them right?

Well... not entirely...

Our parliament has decided that they don't have grounds to be considered political refugees, hence, our legal system can't shelter them.

However, even though they aren't protected by parliament, that doesn't mean the police are actually bothering to go out and find them.

If they wind up in our justice system, then we'll have to deport them as a rule, but so long as they don't tangle with law enforcement, they could quite literally stay here as long as they want.

There are plenty of people who feel for their cause up here, and will take them in, feed and shelter them.

Basically, the police here have no incentive to seek the draft dodgers out. They haven't really done any wrong to us. So why actively seek out their arrest? Many will likely show up where the draft dodger was reported to be, "look around with eyes closed" as we call it, and report back no sighting.

The only reason we would have to deport them if they wound up in our justice system is because the yanks want them. And we're bound by agreement to hand them over.

Doesn't mean we're gonna go looking for them.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
To me this is just a guy refusing to do his job he signed a contract right? Well mabey he should have read the fine print.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I can understand that he does not want to fight in Iraq. I would not want to and I also believe the war itself to be wrong. However as WisdomInChains rightly said he did sign up for fighting. it is not his place to choose which battles he fights. If he wants to decide which battles are fought he should have joined the logistics division.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomInChains
To me this is just a guy refusing to do his job he signed a contract right? Well mabey he should have read the fine print.

ummmm this isn't just a factory job man

the war is bankrupting the country, killing innocent people and defaming your horribly in-debt nation.

and you call that fine-print?

what will it take for you to finally say it was all wrong?
A Zimbabwe-like currency value?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

the war is bankrupting the country, killing innocent people and defaming your horribly in-debt nation.

Yes this is true. However he did sign up to do what he is told and fight who he is told to fight. What he thinks is neither here nor there.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cauch1

Yes this is true. However he did sign up to do what he is told and fight who he is told to fight. What he thinks is neither here nor there.

You're quite correct... he was trained to be a cold, merciless, unthinking baby-killer. He should quit whinging and get back to shooting innocent Iraqi's and slowly breaking down his own morality, so one day he can return to the states in a confused, unpredictable state and maybe one day go on another killing spree or commit suicide.

Is that what you people want?

[edit on 26-2-2009 by mr-lizard]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
This is no differant from the soldier who refuses to do his duty because he thinks Obama isn't qualified to be his President.

They are both dodging their responsibility. It just so happens that this soldier is using a popular idea as his defense.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Well what do you think then? How is an army supposed to operate if soldiers only fight if they agree with the cause. Seeing as people disagree so much you'll be lucky to have half your soldiers fighting in most conflicts.
If you sign up to follow orders then you should follow them. If you are not prepared to follow orders that contradict your beliefs then you shouldn't sign up in the first place.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

reply to post by mr-lizard

Well what do you think then? How is an army supposed to operate if soldiers only fight if they agree with the cause. Seeing as people disagree so much you'll be lucky to have half your soldiers fighting in most conflicts.
If you sign up to follow orders then you should follow them. If you are not prepared to follow orders that contradict your beliefs then you shouldn't sign up in the first place.

okay, but i imagine 99% of the people who did sign up, signed up under the idea that they would be protecting their country.... not fighting some illegal war in some distant, god-forsaken place that only profits the greedy elite.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by mr-lizard]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
For as long as there have been wars,(in modern times) soldiers with consciousness and morality have been looked down on. I say good for this guy and support any others that choose to make the choice he has to not fight this political/immoral war.

Unless the human factor is removed from soldiering and wars are fought by non feeling machines....wait a sec....why not just stop WARS all together. Seems like it's always the civilians that end up paying for the sins of their governments...never those in charge!

~Holly

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

If you are not prepared to follow orders that contradict your beliefs then you shouldn't sign up in the first place.

Ok so since it sounds like your an automaton let's forget about people.
Should he continue being part of what is bankrupting the country?

There, that directly affects you since you don't care about other things.

Do you want the war to end? Are you glad the Vietnam war ended?
This guy is part of the solution.

What if he made the decision to fight based on lies he was told?

Study: Bush, aides made 935 false statements in run-up to war

Study searched database for statements by Bush, aides, in 2001-2003
Bush made 260 false statements about Iraqi weapons, al Qaeda, study says
Study accuses former Secretary of State Colin Powell of 244 false statements
Also on the list: Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, former White House spokesmen
www.cnn.com...

[edit on 26-2-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

what will it take for you to finally say it was all wrong?
A Zimbabwe-like currency value?

It wasn't at all wrong, thank you very much. Iraqi people are now able to cast votes and elect their own leaders. They have an army that is proving it can handle most situations now with less of our help each day. A terrible dictator, his horrible sons and the Baathist party that supported him are gone.

And this war in Iraq isn't what's bankrupting our economy. There are a bunch of things - but what really did us in was predatory lending and greed among American people to overextend their credit so they could buy MORE MORE MORE of the things they knew they couldn't afford.

It's clear that either you don't know half the facts or you choose to ignore them.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

It wasn't at all wrong, thank you very much. Iraqi people are now able to cast votes and elect their own leaders. They have an army that is proving it can handle most situations now with less of our help each day. A terrible dictator, his horrible sons and the Baathist party that supported him are gone.

In their place exists leaders placed there by the invading force.
Dead people cannot vote and i'm pretty sure enforcing democracy down the barrel of a gun is verging on tyranny.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
This is no differant from the soldier who refuses to do his duty because he thinks Obama isn't qualified to be his President.

They are both dodging their responsibility. It just so happens that this soldier is using a popular idea as his defense.

This is a popular idea as a defense?
Then why aren't more troops doing it?
Not so popular - I'm afraid.

Edit to say -

Thank you Mr. Lizard and Modern Academia - for your intelligent posts.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

If you are not prepared to follow orders that contradict your beliefs then you shouldn't sign up in the first place.

Ok so since it sounds like your an automaton let's forget about people.
Should he continue being part of what is bankrupting the country?

There, that directly affects you since you don't care about other things.

Do you want the war to end? Are you glad the Vietnam war ended?
This guy is part of the solution.

What if he made the decision to fight based on lies he was told?

I am not saying forget about people and what they think. However it is not his job to decide what is right and wrong. He has the right to think what he wants. However he does not have the right to disobey the orders he signed up to follow because he thinks they are wrong.
Yes I want the war to end. You obviously don't understand how people think. You believe by saying that stopping the war the economy will improve is a way to sway me to your point of view. Don't try and talk your way around me with that kind of BS.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Oh wow, you could also say people who serve fast food are increasing the Obesity rate and heart failure/slew of other medical problems caused by fatty greasy food. But hey, they are just doing their job. They get payed to do it. Once you stop doing your job, they stop paying you.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I am not saying forget about people and what they think. However it is not his job to decide what is right and wrong. He has the right to think what he wants. However he does not have the right to disobey the orders he signed up to follow because he thinks they are wrong.

He has the right to think but isn't allowed to act on them?
Then what's the use of thinking then?

You are basically stripping him off of his god-given human rights.

To make an extreme example, don't take this the wrong way.
But should Nazis have not gone against their commanding officers too?

You are treating soldiers like robots man, they are human beings too.
Shame on you, and your treating the military like gods that can't be disobeyed.

So what are you doing in short?
Well you are treating people who believed they were risking their lives for you like robots.
And you are treating corrupt murderous war-profiteers like gods that cannot be disobeyed.

There would be no hope for this planet if it was filled with people who think you like. Luckily it's not!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join