It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greek island's

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I would like to know were the best island is to visit for its ancient buildings and ancient civilisation, I am looking to go on a honeymoon but I want to be able to see some fantastic structures with brilliant history.
Any advice were to visit, Spanish islands, Greek islands, Turkish islands and which islands are best and then I can have a look at the brochure thank you

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I had a blast in Corfu. That's the only Greek Island I've made it to so far. It's just beautiful and the people are great.

There is this little cave type church built right into a cliff wall. I took my camera and climbed in to see, there were hundreds of candles burning in this little cave church, the darndest thing I ever saw!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
First, congratulations

The islands of Greece have plenty of history. This link might help to decide.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
thank you for your help i am still struggling what to choose, i am going to teach my partner & father a few things on history, i don't know if to take him in to the mainland greece or to stay on island.
Area's we are thinking to go to:

Zakynthos
Zantorini
Crete
Symi
Rhodes
Kos
Halkidikj
Meganisse

is there anyone here who has been to any of them or knows of Greek mythology of which would be great benefit to myself and my partner? this is our first historical adventure, can someone tell me which of those islands has the most historical buildings, Greek paintings anything really interesting?

[edit on 26-2-2009 by deathpoet69]

[edit on 26-2-2009 by deathpoet69]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
There's a lot of places that you could see, depending on the focus of your trip. You could, for instance, hit the places that Odysseus is supposed to have visited (start with Troy and move back to Greece.)

If it was my choice, I think I'd go for Delos, Santorini, and Rhodes with a side trip to Alexandria (Okay, I know that's in Egypt, but it's a very Greek city... and I couldn't resist the chance to see some of Cleopatra's temples in person.) Depends on how much time I had. I also love volcanoes, so I'd be taking side trips to volcanic mountains in the area.

I do envy you!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I'd go to Crete, Thera, Rhodes and Cyprus (hey the Greeks consider it a Greek island)

Trek the Samaria gorge.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by deathpoet69

Zakynthos is a very busy island. I've been there on a stag do last time. If it's summer, expect it to be full of screaming British and German drunks and banging europop. October becomes immediately quieter. It always depends on what your wife wants as well?

Sardinia?

[edit on 26-2-2009 by Kandinsky]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
If you go to Crete i think you will be overwhelmed by the ancient cities.
You will not have the time to go to all . Certainly not on your...wedding trip!

Anyway you take it i hope you have fun wherever you go!

I just posted this because i live here and still haven't seen all of it!

Now if you want to have a casual look on Ancient civilisation, might as well just go to Athens and visit the Parthenon. Cannot tell much really about the other islands.

However Crete is huge and you will get all sorts of wishes expressed in your oppening post fullfiled.
If you come to Greece in general i would suggest making the trip in the summertime!

Be well and all the best!
George

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

Hey George the Greek

Τὸ χόβερκράφτ μου εἶναι γεμᾶτο χέλια

But of course start in Athens! A bit noisy and feisty thou but a good place to start. I enjoyed side trips into thessaly to Thebes and down to Corinth and Sparta too.

Besides the Samaria gorge I always liked Phaistos and the walk along the south western shore.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Definitely Crete, some time on the Greek mainland, there are a lot of sites, museums, monasteries, beautiful Orthodox Greek churches, and also, Ephesus in Turkey.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
we are going in September, our wedding is on the 5th then i think on the 9th we are going to the islands, i have been warned not to go to turkey because of what there like over there but i heard the Greeks are the same but anyways all that don't bother me, me and my partner want to go somewhere quiet, were there is lack of a nightlife and there’s more adventure, i would like to do some skober diving and some water sports.

Crete sounds good but i don't want to be near any night clubbing scenes, would it be quieter in September? i wundt mind looking at Athens though maybe that’s for the next adventure, i just want the mini version at the moment but were i will be overwhelmed because i have never seen anything like it before.

My partner is 23, i am 26 so, for both of us this is completely new and a start to a great adventure to learn about human history

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by deathpoet69

Zakynthos is a very busy island. I've been there on a stag do last time. If it's summer, expect it to be full of screaming British and German drunks and banging europop. October becomes immediately quieter. It always depends on what your wife wants as well?

Sardinia?

[edit on 26-2-2009 by Kandinsky]

looks like Zakynthos is out of the question then, would still be busy then in september ? whats Sardinia like thats in italy that arent it? looks lovley though, i need to find the perfect honnymoon around that area but also somthing of interest to myself and to my wife to be, its cheap to go to these's places because we live in england you see

[edit on 27-2-2009 by deathpoet69]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
reply to post by Byrd

I'd go to Crete, Thera, Rhodes and Cyprus (hey the Greeks consider it a Greek island)

Trek the Samaria gorge.

Samaria gorge looks fantastic! i am really finding it hard, i want to have a good walk around places, i want moutains, beech, light blue sea, history, long walks, countryside and some water sports... i don't ask for much

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
There's a lot of places that you could see, depending on the focus of your trip. You could, for instance, hit the places that Odysseus is supposed to have visited (start with Troy and move back to Greece.)

If it was my choice, I think I'd go for Delos, Santorini, and Rhodes with a side trip to Alexandria (Okay, I know that's in Egypt, but it's a very Greek city... and I couldn't resist the chance to see some of Cleopatra's temples in person.) Depends on how much time I had. I also love volcanoes, so I'd be taking side trips to volcanic mountains in the area.

I do envy you!

We will only be visiting one island at the moment lol, i think am on delos, santorini and crete at the moment, we are getting the fairs cheap so no need to evny me lol, were did troy first visit, i really want to see volcanoes were can i see them?

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Santorini, make sure you climb the mountain to get a real view of how the island was before the explosion.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
Santorini, make sure you climb the mountain to get a real view of how the island was before the explosion.

explosion, explain

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Crete is a BIG island... There are some places where turism is...industrialised.
Other than those big tourist places and about another three locations there are no main clubing scenes. I do not know why you would avoid that but it is your choice.

i have been warned not to go to turkey because of what there like over there but i heard the Greeks are the same

Well that was a bit general...

What are we like since you mention it?

In any case the above statement is insultive.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Anywhere but Paros.

Had the worst experience there..very unfriendly to outsiders.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
IT may have changed a heap since,but back in May '91 i ferried accross from Athens to Naxos & had a great couple of days.Aesthetically brilliant.Lovely locals & readily accessible countryside.Beware on making your choice as some islands had a particular "mens club" reputation about them(at the time)although i couldnt tell you which ones they were without searching through my "Euro.Travel" box for the notes.Am unable to do at this stage.
Either way,congratulations & best wishes for the future for both you & your better half.
Cheers

p.s. Although im biased,get this honeymoon done & start saving your $$'s to have the second one over here in the best country on earth.....Australia.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by deathpoet69

Originally posted by tristar

explosion, explain

www.santonet.gr...

It seriously takes your breath away. Oh on the off chance you do decide to go to santorini, make sure you do you your homework on its history, that way when you do arrive you will be seriously freaked out.

P.S Congratulations to your new life , wishing you and your family all the best.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join