It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor's "White House Watermelons" E-Mail Causes a Mess

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Mayor's "White House Watermelons" E-Mail Causes a Mess

www.shortnews.com

Mayor Dean Grose has apologized to Keyanus Price, her boss and the City Council after he sent out an e-mail that has been called "racist and offensive." The e-mail featured a picture of the White House with watermelons superimposed in the yard.

Grose personally apologized to Price and a few others, saying the e-mail sent from his personal account wasn't meant to be offensive. Price, a community volunteer, has urged Grose to take it one step further and issue a public apology as well.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ocregister.com

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Here's the image:

Is this another jab at the Presidents race?

Now I know some have dismissed the chimp comic strip by saying that Bush was compared to a chimp on numerous occasions, which he was, and that strip could very well have been created as a jab against congress but for me to accept that I'd have to ignore ignore the historic racial connection being made. The chimp seeming to represent a disparaging reference to African Americans...and of course I'd have to ignore that artists past inflammatory work that was very anti-gay.

Is this another misunderstanding?

Are people really this shook up about having a black president?

Is anything racist anymore when most people try and find a way to excuse the most blatant of racist attacks?

In my opinion this is out of line, and people need to get a grip.

- Lee

www.shortnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Here's another source which has the email recipient expressing her thoughts on the subject:

White House Watermelon Email From California Mayor Dean Grose Inspires Outrage

Local businesswoman and city volunteer Keyanus Price, who is black, said Tuesday she received the e-mail from Mayor Dean Grose's personal account on Sunday and wants a public apology.

"I have had plenty of my share of chicken and watermelon and all those kinds of jokes," Price told The Associated Press. "I honestly don't even understand where he was coming from, sending this to me. As a black person receiving something like this from the city-freakin'-mayor - come on."
Huffington post

Wonder why he thought she would get a kick out of that?

- Lee

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

Oh man that is funny!

But on a more serious note: You would have thought that would have been kept on the down-low. It is clearly jabbing at the stereotype that Black persons eat alot of watermelons.

Tisk tisk. Jokes sometimes reach the wrong people.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

I still don't see the connection between the stimulus chimp as a personification of Obama but this watermelon image is pretty blatant. It's obviously referring to the stereotype of blacks and watermelons.

They did the same thing with Palin by 'white trashifying' the White House:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Of course it’s a racial jab at the President being black. Racism might be ugly but there are all forms of abhorrent human behavior from jealousy to vanity that most people are plagued with in one form or another.

Humans are a competitive lot and identify with team and tribal concepts of one team or tribe being better.

You can’t legislate away abhorrent human behavior. Personally if I were President Obama I would be out there with a spade and shovel and pack of seeds and planting a watermelon garden just for the laugh of saying, yep, I am the President, I can if I want!

I used to have a boss who was fond of saying when you want to play in the big leagues you better be prepared to take big hits.

This is someone’s idea of a joke not a hit. They call them trail blazers because there is a little fire along the way.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

In my opinion this is out of line, and people need to get a grip.

- Lee

Oh wow. Just for the record, my friends and I joke about this kind of stuff all the time. I have seen far worse photo shops of the president with watermelons/fried chikenz/spinning rims/ the whole shabang. Who cares about this story or the pic included in this persons email. If this wasn't reported in the news or on a website, this would affect absolutely no one. No body would even know this existed except the few people who got the email. This could have been handled by a group of mature people instead of become another story for the media to use.

I wish they had a "Fear mongering/ Sensationalism/ Yellow Journalism" Forum section, just for this kind of crap.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by OKCBtard]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by OKCBtard

In another thread I just completely disagreed with you. On this subject I absolutely agree with what you say. People take these thing way too far. There is too much media saturation.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The picture itself isnt funny.

But the logic that it spawns is pretty amusing...

I mean, you can't claim that its offensive without admitting to thinking of a racist connotation as soon as you see watermelons.

If there isn't a real connection between blacks and watermelons, then surely no offence can be taken, right?

Yet if there is a connection between blacks and watermelons (hypothetically), then again it cant be taken as offensive since it is accurate.

etc etc.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
I still don't see the connection between the stimulus chimp as a personification of Obama but this watermelon image is pretty blatant.

Ditto.

The chimp thing wasn't bigotted.
This watermellon thing was obviously a bad bigotted 'joke'.

The article says it was sent from a personal account.

If it was sent from a personal account, on personal time, to people other than those worked with ... then no one has a right to complain.

If it was sent from the personal account, on either personal or work time, to people worked with ... then that was a very foolish thing to do and people have a right to complain.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Let me preface this by saying that I am in no way a fan of Obama...

...and I happen to love watermelon...

Sending this email says everything about the mayor who forwarded it and absolutely nothing about Obama. Sure there are people who will find this amusing for reasons I don't understand, and that's just how it is. I don't understand why people want to watch movies full of blood and guts either, but that's just how it is. However, this is still the land of free, so people can do that.

If I were the recipient of such an email from an elected official, I would make sure it was plastered all over the news for public consumption, and let the chips fall where they may. But I would not demand or expect an apology, which would be a hollow victory at best anyway.

I would also be glad to know just what kind of man my mayor was/is.

Oh - and I'd love it too if Obama planted some watermelon on the front lawn. How perfect!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Ignorant people reveal themselves all the time. I would recommend taking note of their position and action, and remember it the next time the political showboat hits the road.

But creating a public outrage is as over-the-top as the email in the first place.

Let the racists vet themselves..., they always do.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I still don't see the connection between the stimulus chimp as a personification of Obama but this watermelon image is pretty blatant.

Ditto.

The chimp thing wasn't bigotted.
This watermellon thing was obviously a bad bigotted 'joke'.

The article says it was sent from a personal account.

If it was sent from a personal account, on personal time, to people other than those worked with ... then no one has a right to complain.

If it was sent from the personal account, on either personal or work time, to people worked with ... then that was a very foolish thing to do and people have a right to complain.

People still have the right to complain no matter where it was sent and when or to who. People seen to think that freedom of speech means thats not only can you say what ever you want but then others cant form a reaction to it. You can call somebody the N word but that doesn't mean somebody wont beat the snot our of you or it won't ruin your career as a politician.

I'm also getting tired of people making apologies. Nobody really belives they are sorry and its a waste of everyones times.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I almost feel sorry for Mayor Grose. This stupid mistake will haunt him for the rest of his life and probably doom any political aspirations he may have had. Every black person he comes in contact with from now on will label him a dumbass cracker and probably most thinking whites.

I'm guessing his apology will fall on deaf ears and now even his friends will avoid him so as not to be associated with a dumbass.

If he has kids....My heart goes out to them because they will also be the recipient of much flack in school.

I wonder what political party Mayor Grose is affiliated with??

[edit on 26-2-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Cry me a river. Like Obama is the first black person to have a joke made about his color. There is a joke for every race, it's a part of our society. Don't we have more important # to be concerned about?

I think that's part of this countries problem. Everyone is worrying about offending another black person with a common stereotypical joke that everyone has already heard 1000 times before instead of whipping their Government back into shape like we should be.

MBF

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I don't know what the problem is, I'm white and I grew watermelons several years ago and have eaten lots of watermelons, sometimes several every day. Heck, if I was the president, that's what the lawn would look like. Heck, WHEN I'm president, that's what it WILL look like. People will find racism in anything they want to.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I never saw that one. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
What a bunch of bullonie.

Everybody knows D.C. gets too freakin' cold to even consider growing watermelon.

This is more plausible though.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Oh come on, everyone, it's a freaking joke!

I'd be expecting parody of my most obvious differences. Obama happens to be black. Black culture is quite distinctive.

If he were gay, he'd have a parody of a rainbow-coloured whitehouse. If he were woman, there'd be an excess of washing machines.

But he's black. And so he gets watermelons.

Hell, they could have put in cotton fields!

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

It is acceptable for a political leader, a servant of the people, to be a racist, but only in their "personal time"?

Racism is not a religious practice or a hobby. It is an ignorant and hateful world view that the color of someone's skin makes them less human than others.

YES. People have a right to complain. He is not qualified to be a servant of the people if he has no respect for large portions of the public.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join