It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Passes Spending Bill, and Critics Are Quick to Point Out Pork

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

House Passes Spending Bill, and Critics Are Quick to Point Out Pork

www.nytimes.com

Democrats boasted that they had not included earmarks in the economic stimulus bill, but lawmakers of both parties relished the opportunity to stuff the new bill with pet projects.

Taxpayers for Common Sense, a watchdog group, counted more than 8,500 “Congressionally designated projects” in the bill and said the cost of these earmarks totaled $7.7 billion., up 3.4 percent from last year.

Representative Jeff Flake, Republican of Arizona, said it was unseemly for Congress to finance so many pet projects at a time when “the Justice Department is investigating the connection between earmarks and campaign contributions.”

By a vote of 226 to 182, the House killed a proposal by Mr. Flake calling on the House ethics committee to investigate such connections.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Amazing how they voted not to investigate the connection between earmarks and campaign contribution.

I don't think Congress has the right to investigate anybody if they aren't willing to investigate themselves.

Well, here comes another 400 billion. I heard on the news this was to cover the government from March-September. What I fail to understand is what happened to the budget they did last October that was supposed to cover everything till September?

The hole just keeps getting deeper and deeper.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Inflation

That's all I need to say about that.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Well if anybody watched Obama speech this morning he hinted that he will not sign the bill if is full of pork or "projects" that the American people and the nation doesn't need.

So lets see what congress will be able to get away with.

He even told about the provisions in the bill that only benefit lobbyist and not the people.

I have to give to Obama he knows how to make the people feel good under his watch.

new topics

top topics

join