It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Bible a Blackhole?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
The Bible often claims about itself to contain the Word of God. When contemplating the nature of an omniscient God many students of Theology have come to the conclusion that God is incomprehensable. In the Bible itself God claims about himself to be without beginning or ending and that he is the beginning and ending, or something like that.

So my question is...if the Bible is what it says it is, a container of the Word of God and it also finite, possessing both an unambiguous Beginning and Ending, how then can both be true without the Bible being infinitely deep, conceptually? Having layers of information atop layer of information without ending; pulling reader in level by level.

Is it correct in a manner of speaking to identify the Bible as a sort of mental, conceptual and legal Black Hole?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Since you don't know exactly what the Bible says, then I suggest that you read it, all the way through. I wouldn't suggest the 1611 King James Version. Trying to figure out all the archaic language will drive you crazy. I would suggest a New King James Version, or one of the other modern language translations.
In fact, I would suggest doing what my wife did. She recently went to our local Christian book store, talked with the owner, (it's a small town) and asked her what she should buy. The owner actually sat down with her, suggested several version, then gave her time with each version to look at, read, and think about.
My wife made a decision and brought home a brand new bible (the NLT Study Bible). She says she likes the the translation. I can't say myself. I haven't had the time to set down and read it. I have, however, read the Bible through several times, and in several translations. The questions you ask cannont be determined by anyone but you. But you have to be willing to do the work, dig into the research, meditate(or pray) on what you have learned, and reach a conclusion. It helps to talk to believers and non believers as well, so you get both sides of the arguement. Just try to keep every thing balanced.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by huckfinn
Is it correct in a manner of speaking to identify the Bible as a sort of mental, conceptual and legal Black Hole?

Organized belief systems are black holes that suck in open-mindedness.

I don't think that there is anything that is really "infinitely deep"; neither metaphorically nor conceptually. Even the best vantage point can never show all aspects, but that doesn't make something "infinite" in its nature.

To consider the bible the word of God is everyone's own choice (at least more or less, because people are born into religious belief systems). Humans always try to find answers with their extremely limited ability to comprehend. You always hear the words "I understand ..." but how many really say "I comprehend ..."?

To understand the bible is not difficult. Understanding holds belief.
Comprehension goes beyond belief.

I am not sure if I could contribute to your thread, but I am interested in what others write. :-)

Greetings

PS: I expressed my opinion. Mmmh, maybe I should make it my signature that I don't have to mention it every time

[edit on 26-2-2009 by TheWriter]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I do know a little...I am just not into quoting it. I began this thread to determine not what the Bible says, as I feel comfortable with that, but to determine what the Bible IS. I am more interested in its nature as an object, what it to be used for, etc...

By the claims that have been made about the Bible...especially the one that says it "contains" the Word of God. I have some problems with that, especially with the idea that an object of finite dimensions can Contain that which is MUST be an infinite quantity...

So, it seems that for the Bible to be in fact what it claims to be it must function as some sort of Bottomless Pit or Black Hole that sucks in all available information, which can never escape.

I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert concerning the book of Genesis and at this point in my studies, I am arriving at the conclusion that the Bible is some sort of Worm Hole that can pull the readers mind into a infinitely deep pit where a conclusion is never reached. As a result, I now believe after having read the book that not reading the book would have been a better use of time, but I wouldn't know that if I hadn't read the book.

That last sentence is the type of madness to which I am refering.

What other purpose could the book serve other than trap minds? I could just as easily have conversations concerning God without the book, couldn't I?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The bible is not the word of god, it has become a physical replacement for it. Even if you believe it is divinely inspired, then that inspiration obviously had to come from a source other than the bible for them to actually write the words down.

You can learn everything in the bible without the bible, but in my experience you can see what you've learned in the bible. People who claim otherwise merely try to put limits on things. Generally for profit rather than prophet.

Matthew 7

28And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:

29For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

Scribes obviously means those who write down the word. So to follow the scribes is to say the bible is the word of god.

[edit on 26-2-2009 by badmedia]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I tried to choose my words carefully. I don't consider the Bible to BE the word of God, but a CONTAINER of the word of God. A small but significant difference.

My question is how can a container of finite proportions contain something which is Infinite?

The only possible solution seems to be that the container must be infinitely deep, so once you go in you descend forever....or do you come out in another world? And that's why I wonder if the Bible is a black hole or bottomless pit.

It seems to have other characteristics of a Gravitational Singularity...The entire Christian world is in orbit around it and the Priests who compiled it, but where is the King...the individual who must be the source of the information contained within the book, yet he only exists as a hope for the future or some other abstract notion, but never in the flesh.

While it does have a great deal of useful information...Is the book a Trap?

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
dosn't the bible tell you god is the black hole? Tetragrammaton... Which already has tetra in it which stands for tetrahedral, and then drammaton which is gravity. Geometry with the Noun! So na, bible aint it, but God is.

oh yeah and infinity in a finite space is can be done with double star tetrahedral. You in break it down for ever, just how small can you get.

This dude Nassim Heramine is the source. Everything has a black hole core, Earth the sun, atoms, your paneal, your heart, Milky way.

key words
Double star tetrahedron
Tetragrammaton
double helix

Its a start for ya. now dig

[edit on 26-2-2009 by UnitedSatesofFreemasons]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by huckfinn

It seems to have other characteristics of a Gravitational Singularity...The entire Christian world is in orbit around it and the Priests who compiled it, but where is the King...the individual who must be the source of the information contained within the book, yet he only exists as a hope for the future or some other abstract notion, but never in the flesh.

While it does have a great deal of useful information...Is the book a Trap?

Do you really want to know the individual who is the source? Are you hungry for the truth or are your studies just a passing phase in your life? Do you really believe that an all loving God would only allow himself to exist as a mere hope or some abstract notion?

Right now this "King" is only an idea that someone is presenting to you. You either know him or know of him. What do you think would be the positives and negatives of knowing?

I'm asking you these questions because like how you consider yourself an expert on the Book of Genesis, I consider myself an expert on the Gospel of John - which is practically a discourse on the King you speak of.

Though I've never done it before I would be willing to allow you to pick my brain so to speak. Plus, I would love for you to sometime do a thread about Genesis and the things you've learned from your studies. I'm not one to start threads but ask the right questions and I'll give you truthful answers.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by huckfinn

In a since you can say it is a black hole because depending on what you are going through in life you could get one meaning of a passage. Then at another time in life the same passage could hold a different meaning for you.

I have not read all of the Bible yet and only from time to time pick it up. But at different times I have found multiple interpretations for individual passages. So I see where you are going with this thread and say I believe you could be right in your idea.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I once read this story concerning Osiris and his brother Set; you are probably familiar with it.

In the story, Set secretly seeks out his brothers measurements and constructs a finely appointed and attractive coffin crafted specifically to fit only Osiris. Following some festivities Osiris climbs into the coffin and finds that it fits and Set slams down the top, seals it shut and tosses the coffin in the River. After which, Set proceeds to rule Egypt in Osiris' place.

After sweeping aside the plot devices (measurements and coffin) the story reveals that their is a similarity between the function of the coffin in this story and the Bible.

The Bible is the alleged Container of the Word of God, but I can assume that God IS the Word. Are the Priests who acquired the Books that became the bible just following Sets example?...Secretly acquiring the Measurements of God, or in another way...his words. Is the ultimate purpose then of the Bible similiar to the purpose of the Coffin in the story...to capture God?

Being that the character Set is remembered as being a Priest and having serious issues with his sexuality, is it possible that he is a Pioneer in building traps to capture Gods and Men and the philosophical ancestor of all Priests?

I suppose my real issue is not with being lost or anything like that...I am really trying to determine the nature of the Bible...what's the real point of it? And what is Benedicts XVI's point? Should he be punished for what he is doing?

If the Bible is what I am beginning to think it is, Benedict XVI knows this and, like Set, is currently the leader of a plot to enslave humanity through the use of a Book. I really think it is time for your Pope to either produce the King he claims to represent or cease and desist with his never-ending lies. So that the world can have peace.

I accept that the Subject Matter of the Bible from beginning to end is probably true, just as Set's coffin actually fit Osiris. But Set had a hidden motive and help from 72 conspirators and I think the global priesthood that exists in the present does as well.

PS. Can I serve the main bodies of the Christian, Jewish and Islamic religions with a writ of Habeus Corpus? If they don't deliver up can I just put them out of business?

Or maybe I could bring them before a federal Judge for violations of the RICO statutes.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
My expertise in Genesis involves the 35 years or so between the Beginning of Satan's rebellion in Heaven and Adam's birth and his fall in Eden.

My research and testing on this theory is on-going and I don't want to start a thread which I may not be able to provide a conclusion.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by huckfinn

Interesting and perhaps some truth in that. The bible does contain truth, but at the same time it does blind some people to the actual understandings contained in it. People focus on the literal and thus mistake that literal as the word of god. In this case, the people are looking at the container itself rather than what is in it.

I look at it in terms of adding. Where as the father is more like an algebra equation A+B=C. Now, A, B and C can be many different values, but even though they are different in themselves, they can still express the same truth. A+B=C can be expressed in 1+1=2, 1+2=3 and so on.

The bible is a 1+1=2. It is an expression of the truth. But the father gives in wisdom and understanding(A+B=C). While 1+1=2 is a true expression, it is not the truth. And those who preach the literal bible are stuck with 1+1=2. They do not actually understand, they do not actually know how to add. They only know and repeat 1+1=2 because they were told that. Because they accepted what an authority tells them what to "know" and memorize.

Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory. -Leonardo da Vinci

So I don't know about the story of Set and all that, but the general premise behind the story and what you say I find to be true. It very much has become a replacement for the actual word of god, and people who get stuck to a literal translation are being deceived as such.

I call it worshiping the milk bowl rather than drinking the milk inside, all the while settling for the ACME vender selling his "milk brand"(church version) drink for profit rather than prophet with a picture of the bowl for it's logo.

Which is more important - the message, or the messenger? The message is contained in the messenger. But then it's a matter of which you follow, the message or the messenger.

Why is it ok to sin against Jesus, but not the holy spirit(who teaches one truth and understanding)?

I was taught that the idols and such are not the important thing, the important thing is the understandings and truths they reveal.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by badmedia]

top topics

join