It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. wants to decide how to parent children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Sen. Barbara Boxer is urging the U.S. to ratify a United Nations measure meant to expand the rights of children, a move critics are calling a gross assault on parental rights that could rob the U.S. of sovereignty.

The California Democrat is pushing the Obama administration to review the U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child, a nearly 20-year-old international agreement that has been foundering on American shores since it was signed by the Clinton administration in 1995 but never ratified.

Critics say the treaty, which creates "the right of the child to freedom of thought, conscience and religion" and outlaws the "arbitrary or unlawful interference with his or her privacy," intrudes on the family and strips parents of the power to raise their children without government interference.

Nearly every country in the world is party to it -- only the U.S. and Somalia are not -- but the convention has gained little support in the U.S. and never been sent to the Senate for ratification.

Didn't a house fall on her sister ?

here is the link there is also a video but since Im new here, I dont know how to do that.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

My goodness! When will the UN realize that we dont give a cr@p about them? American's will raise their children they way they have since we got here and no third party world "organization" mumbo jumbo will make us change.

I for one am tired of all these stupid resolutions being made and passed then pushed on us. The people are already tired of the way things are and at some point we WILL snap and revolt.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
The text of the resolution is here. I have read about half of it so far, and everything in it is already covered by our own laws so I see no need to ratify it. The only part I have seen that I find questionable so far is Article 9. The PDF won't allow a copy and paste, so I am trying to upload an image to the media site but it's either taking forever or I did it wrong. I'll edit this post if I manage to get it figured out.

Other than that specific Article, the only issue I see so far is that there is a lot of emphasis put on the government doing what is in the child's best interest. While that's all well and good and sounds like a really good thing, what is to prevent them from deciding that none of us are doing what's in our children's best interest? The way I see it, so long as we don't put our children in danger physically or mentally, the government needs to stay out of it and let us raise our kids.

new topics

join