It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood is about to desensitize you (again)... The Road.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
1. Hollywood tries to make movies that people want to see and which will thus make money. There are many people, myself included, who earnestly enjoy post apocalyptic movies. If them producing movies like that constitutes "conditioning" then ATS itself is a giant source of conditioning the masses for all manner of catastrophies.

The difference is on ATS, most of us know that there are a group of puppet masters that pull the strings.

We aren't concerned with Iran and AL Queada here on ATS.
We are concerned with war profiteers, elite bankers, and globalists.

Most of us on ATS understand the real threat wears a tie, and not a turban.

I love Apocalyptic movies myself... I love a good war movie too... check this out...

www.cinematical.com...

Red Dawn' Remake Finds Writer and Director

"The tone is going to be very intense, very much keeping in mind the post-9/11 world that we're in. As Red Dawn scared the heck out of people in 1984, we feel that the world is kind of already filled with a lot of paranoia and unease, so why not scare the hell out of people again?"

See what I'm talking about?

[edit on 26-2-2009 by Doomsday 2029]

[edit on 26-2-2009 by Doomsday 2029]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I don't think there's a conspiracy here ok.

A) - This film COULD be made on a very low budget by an independant director and film maker.

B) - People need to realise that hollywood is NOT as respected as it used to be. With the increase of independant film-making, art house and foreign cinema many better films are being made with a fraction of the budget involved in getting big names and flashy effects and post-production.
So if someone wants to get a screenplay made into a film, then they do NOT have to sell out to hollywood.

C) - The theme of the road reflects dozens and dozens of other movies of a similar genre.

D) - Maybe the only issue here is the fact that many Americans would rather get their 'kicks' from paying out their arse for a movie, than they would reading a novel. Books like this have existed since the 19th century (such as Mary Shelley's - the last man)...

Unless you are saying that THIS particular film is desensitizing everyone, then you really should look at the current state of your film industry.

I'd much rather watch a film like this than some bone-grating crap like 'High school the musical' or 'American pie' or any of the other nauseating crap.

Oh and Danny Boyle did a FAR better job at depicting a post-apocalyptic world (in 28 days later) than Francis Lawrence with his crappy CGI and over-the-top rubbish (I am legend), for a FRACTION of the budget.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I for one am anxious for this movie. I loved the book. I looked at the IMDB page posted above The Road - IMDB. The pictures look a lot like I pictured things. And Viggo Mortensen plays The Man. Perfect casting IMO.

It's been a while since I read the book, so I'd forgotten the extent of the creepiness until I saw some of the character names. Well-Fed Cannibal? Baby Eater? Yikes.

I don't think this movie is going to desensitize anyone to anything. If it has the same impact as the book, it might have the opposite effect. Sure made me think about my own supplies and resources!

edit for spelling

[edit on 27-2-2009 by sweetpeanc]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I would have to say this is the best book I have read, and to be honest, I dont think it desensetized me. Actually just the opposite happened, after I read that book, that is when I decided to start preparing for bad times. I owe my readiness to that book.

[edit on 27-2-2009 by ringing]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029
The Trick:
Show it to you before it happens.

The Movie / The Book
The Road

www.imdb.com...

Release date in the USA:

2009.... BUT WHAT DAY???

interesting that
www.imdb.com...

Country Date
USA 2009
Argentina 18 June 2009
Brazil 4 September 2009
Finland 16 October 2009

the only release date not confirmed is in the USA

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

They want to place these images in the minds of Americans at the perfect time. They just aren't sure when the perfect time is yet. It's all about timing with this movie.

Want more propaganda?...

www.imdb.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I've read the book. I have worked in and around the ent. industry since I was a young teen and the OP has a point.

While I do not think there is a Grand Conspiracy to desensitize the Public via films per se -- simply because the process to getting a movie 'green-lit' is so long and fraught with too many variables to control from inception to screen -- I do believe that there is a fatalist view of humanity's future that is expanding and being accepted as the norm for many reasons (books, films, msm, 'news', vid games, etc.)

I also think this is tragic as it creates, not only lowered expectations of our futures but, one could argue, becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

When I read the book I asked myself, what would motivate the author to write such a bleak, hopeless savage story? CM is a true literary genius and writes with masterful, poetic prose... and he chose this story to display his skills. Why? I think it is becuase he believes humanity is capable of the awfulness of the various scenarios that are explored in the book.

I choose not to.

TWISI

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
yeah...just started reading this book...about three chapters in, and so far it's really creeping me out...the isolation, the lack of dialog, the desolation. and the total lack of explanation is really beginning to annoy me.

it's not written that well, and i'm beginning to wonder if i'll even finish it if it doesn't pick up soon.

thinking for the film they'd have to make some major changes in the script for the general audiences. that or be prepared for some very low box office receipts.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

i'm assuming it picks up then. because so far, i'm not impressed...pulitzer or no.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt
the OP has a point.

While I do not think there is a Grand Conspiracy to desensitize the Public via films per se -- simply because the process to getting a movie 'green-lit' is so long and fraught with too many variables to control from inception to screen -- I do believe that there is a fatalist view of humanity's future that is expanding and being accepted as the norm for many reasons (books, films, msm, 'news', vid games, etc.)

I also think this is tragic as it creates, not only lowered expectations of our futures but, one could argue, becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

IDK... I have a horrible feeling something weird is going on in Hollywood.

My theory is they did a little desensitizing for 9-11... or possibly it was a hidden language to communicate the plan?

You have an excellent point, even if there is no conspiracy, I still strongly believe that life imitates art, and we have a number of examples to look at...

One for example:

^^^^^ONLY 12 SECONDS ^^^^^

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
It would be nice if we could get the author to respond to his motivation for writing it. Have you tried contacting him?
I've had the same opinion as the OP. Not a conspiracy per se, but there is a sub-text or puppetmasters who do want specific stories produced ad naseum, which feels like desensitization. Any Psychologist (my wife is one) will testify that there is a desensitization towards violence that has been going on for quite some time. The real question is WHY? What is the real purpose behind having people thinking how bad things can really get?

Doesn't it make you feel just a bit more warm and fuzzy towards a slick politician who promises to make things better, when you have in your mind how bad things can get? Even if you know he's lying, your more likely to choose the lie over what you see as a possible truth.

Hell, I don't want to eat my neighbors just to survive, if those are my only options.

Here is another movie along those same lines.

Know1ng

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

There are even more of these type of 'coincidences', I am prettty sure there are at least two threads around here outlining some of them, so I can understand why you're suspect.

But a couple movies referenced in those threads with far more suspicious 9/11 refs. etc. than what you have displayed above -- well, I personally know the people who wrote and/or directed a couple of them and believe me, they are not part of a 'conspiracy'. Having said that, I do believe in "Mass Reality' and that we are all in touch with each other and the future in some way.

To my mind this explains a lot more of these coincidences than the 'everybody's in on it', but that's just what I think based on my first and second hand experience. And I don't want to derail your thread with a bunch of metaphysical talk

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt

There are even more of these type of 'coincidences', I am prettty sure there are at least two threads around here outlining some of them, so I can understand why you're suspect.

But a couple movies referenced in those threads with far more suspicious 9/11 refs. etc. than what you have displayed above -- well, I personally know the people who wrote and/or directed a couple of them and believe me, they are not part of a 'conspiracy'. Having said that, I do believe in "Mass Reality' and that we are all in touch with each other and the future in some way.

To my mind this explains a lot more of these coincidences than the 'everybody's in on it', but that's just what I think based on my first and second hand experience. And I don't want to derail your thread with a bunch of metaphysical talk

Okay, but I'm a big believer in the September Clues Documentary. So I know the Television will play dirty tricks on you.

As far as the coincidences go... I've seen a lot.... A LOT!

Die Hard... One Two and Three
The Patriot
&
The Bone Collector

are the biggest ones IMO.... other than the one's I just posted.
(and the Lone Gunman)

which one's were you refering too?

[edit on 27-2-2009 by Doomsday 2029]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Ummm... pretty much all of those listed, but I am uncomfortable going into personal specifics in that much detail in the thread. I guess I would to u2u, since I did bring it up, but would ask that you say here that you will not share the specifics with anyone else. If I do u2u and you don't believe me that's all good too.

I, as a rule, don't post on these threads so I don't find myself in this position, but since I had such a visceral response to "The Road" my better judgement did not prevail...

[edit on 27-2-2009 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I just reserved the book from my local library.

I love the post apocalyptic plots.

I look forward to reading this.

Usually movies disappoint me but I put this on my blockbuster list.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Like the psyco Joker said in the Dark Knight: "It isn't about money."..... and then he burned the big pyramid of cash.

on the contrary, with the big production companies it is always about money. they are publicly traded entities and the shareholders want profits, not propaganda. do they slip a bit of both in, sure. Do they operate solely for the sake of propaganda and/or desensitizing the masses? absolutely not. If they did, they'd be broke and they'd be unable to make their movies.

Some more big production desensitizing films and books:
The Stand
Waterworld
The Day After Tomorrow
War of the Worlds
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Virus
ET
Close Encounters
A Trip To The Moon (1902)
Blade Runner
Planet of the Apes
Alien
The Day After

I could do this for days and still not finish the list of movies that could be deemed propaganda or desensitizing us for an inevtiable future. The point is, they can't all be about prepping us for our future.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

Like the psyco Joker said in the Dark Knight: "It isn't about money."..... and then he burned the big pyramid of cash.

Do they operate solely for the sake of propaganda and/or desensitizing the masses? absolutely not.

If they did, they'd be broke.

The point is, they can't all be about prepping us for our future.

They aren't all like this... But many are.

Right now we've been fed movie after movie showing Quarantine/ Martial Law/ and Police State.

I can assure you CHILDREN OF MEN was meant to desensitize you.
I can assure you I AM LEGEND was meant to desensitize you.
I can assure you CLOVERFIELD was meant to desensitize you.
I can assure you A SCANNER DARKLEY was meant to desensitize you.

The List goes on...

Eagle Eye? Let's desensitize you to big Brother...

One movie isn't enough... let's make two...

Echelon Conspiracy (2009) - Official Movie Trailer

Now you have a mental image of that this is the way it's suppose to be... When in actuality it's a complete outrage.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Movies go through phases.

Remember Deep impact, Apocalypse, Independence day, Men in black, The X files movie etc.

All these movies came out around the same time, and have a similar theme; The world (USA)being threatened by something from space.

I'm sure there were people believing these were predicting the future too, what with the year 2000 looming and all.

Other phases of note are comic book movies, Remakes and now...movies like I am legend, The road, 28 days later.

That's my take on it anyway...

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Exactly, the studios are lemming-like too in that they all want to make sure they have competing projects in development. There are actual and constant trends in development that never make it fully the screen, i.e. for three years four studios are all developing multiple "female heist" movies one comes out, bombs and the others are all abandoned, consigned to dev. purgatory never to see the light of day.

Ditto a trend is spotted, i.e. a movie with a novel premise comes out hits, and they then all start developing that to fill the 'new' demand. i.e. Male POV/Lead rom-coms: "Knocked Up" leads to the wrong-headed "Made of Honor" (which is basically "My BF Wedding" with a Male lead).

@Crakeur - Production companies are not traditionally 'publicly traded co's". Studios are, or were, because most of them are now bundled into giant conglomerates, Viacom etc. And studios are mostly umbrellas for production co's. which is basically a co. that is formed by above the line talent (prods., dirs., actors, writers) that a studio wants to be in business with so they pay the overhead and give the prod. co's dev. money in exchange for First Looks.

While studios certainly have thier own in house dev. arm, they mostly end up releasing material from the prod. co's they have deals with. The particapants in the Prod Co.'s usually just get their fees and possibly profit participation (if they are super A-list). Prod. Co.'s almost never own the rights, whoever funds and dists, the movie does (studio) and they in turn sell those rights to various territories all over the world.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Movies go through phases.

Remember Deep impact, Apocalypse, Independence day, Men in black, The X files movie etc.

All these movies came out around the same time, and have a similar theme; The world (USA)being threatened by something from space.

and 1988 saw Big, 18 Again, Vice Versa and Like Father, Like Son (out in 1987)

all about young people switching places with old people or some similar story line.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join